PDA

View Full Version : F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

Otis Willie
August 27th 04, 12:56 AM
F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=24037

{EXCERPT}, by Greg Tyler, Stars and Stripes Pacific edition, Friday,
August 27, 2004

ONBOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS, Sasebo, Japan — The U.S. Navy’s meanest,
fastest and most agile fighter jet, nearing retirement, is deployed in
the western Pacific Ocean for the last time.

The Grumman F-14, which entered military service in 1972, also is a
movie star. At least for aviation aficionados, it upstaged actors
including T...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
(310) 532-0634

jim morris
August 27th 04, 02:56 AM
Great jet. Sorry to see it go.

--
jim morris

Pechs1
August 27th 04, 02:11 PM
<< Great jet. Sorry to see it go. >><BR><BR>

Guess that depends on your point of view. I am glad it's gone. (1000+ hours in
it BTW, never liked it around the boat, hard to maintain, tough to fly in
general, wierd systems, etc.)
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Tony Volk
August 27th 04, 02:13 PM
Besides being a superb fighter, I think it's easily the best looking
fighter ever built. The Su-33 looks pretty sharp too, but the Turkey takes
the all-time cake IMHO.

Tony

"Otis Willie" > wrote in message
> F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard
>
> http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=24037
>
> {EXCERPT}, by Greg Tyler, Stars and Stripes Pacific edition, Friday,
> August 27, 2004
>
> ONBOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS, Sasebo, Japan - The U.S. Navy's meanest,
> fastest and most agile fighter jet, nearing retirement, is deployed in
> the western Pacific Ocean for the last time.
>
> The Grumman F-14, which entered military service in 1972, also is a
> movie star. At least for aviation aficionados, it upstaged actors
> including T...
>
> U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
> reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
> with our laws this report cannot be provided in
> its entirety. However, you can read it in full
> today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
> this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
> the distributing Library. This report is provided
> for your information and discussion.
>
> ---------------------------
> Otis Willie
> Associate Librarian
> The American War Library
> http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
> (310) 532-0634

Tony Volk
August 27th 04, 02:16 PM
I heard it was easier to fly around the boat than the Phantom, was that
true for you? And I would've supposed that the systems would've been better
than the Phantoms too (although not as nice as the Viper- did you fly in an
aggressor squadron or exchange?). Cheers,

Tony

> Guess that depends on your point of view. I am glad it's gone. (1000+
hours in
> it BTW, never liked it around the boat, hard to maintain, tough to fly in
> general, wierd systems, etc.)
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

John Carrier
August 27th 04, 08:07 PM
> I heard it was easier to fly around the boat than the Phantom, was that
> true for you? And I would've supposed that the systems would've been
> better
> than the Phantoms too (although not as nice as the Viper- did you fly in
> an
> aggressor squadron or exchange?). Cheers,

I thought so. But then I always felt that the Phantom was a pretty mediocre
airframe wrapped around some fabulous engines. It was stable and remarkably
forgiving, but at it's high approach speed it was possible to get into
trouble when correcting from a high or countercorrecting from a low (then
again that can be said for any jet). The F-14 needed flying, but it had
tons of lift, tons of fuel and a 10% slower approach speed ... hard to hit
the ramp IMO. I didn't think either aircraft was particularly
unforgiving/difficult around the ship.

Landing mishap statistics favor the F-14. I've always felt that rather than
argue "my airplane is harder to fly than your airplane" its easier to look
at the stats. Unforgiving airplanes tend to generate high mishap rates and
lots of memorial services.

R / John

Pechs1
August 27th 04, 08:36 PM
Tony-<< I heard it was easier to fly around the boat than the Phantom, was that
true for you? >><BR><BR>

It wasn't true for anybody that flew both around the boat. Much less stable
nose in terms of holding on speed AOA, wallowed when turning, no
ARI(aileron-rudder interconnect), turned with spoilers, which means it went
down when you turned. I think the only good thing is that it had a lot more
gas. Systems to help ya get aboard was similar to the F-4, Spn41/2, DME, no
hud. Autothrottle sucked because being turbofans. DLC was nice.

I flew the F-16N, in VF-126(XO/CO)
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Google