PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels Show

ramrod48
September 6th 04, 04:55 PM
The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
"high show" until next year.

Any other facts or opinions?

Bob Coe
September 6th 04, 05:05 PM
"ramrod48" > wrote
> The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
> shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
> show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
> were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
> I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
> tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
> year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
> "high show" until next year.
>
> Any other facts or opinions?

Probably a flight restriction due to dense air traffic.

Larry
September 6th 04, 10:57 PM
"ramrod48" > wrote in message
om...
> The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
> shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
> show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
> were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
> I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
> tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
> year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
> "high show" until next year.
>
> Any other facts or opinions?

They did the high show in Seattle.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'
20 years if gettin 'em off the pointy end
AND safely home again!

ramrod48
September 7th 04, 12:51 AM
"Bob Coe" > wrote in message news:<PU%_c.18835$ni.5116@okepread01>...
> "ramrod48" > wrote
> > The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
> > shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
> > show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
> > were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
> > I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
> > tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
> > year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
> > "high show" until next year.
> >
> > Any other facts or opinions?
>
> Probably a flight restriction due to dense air traffic.

Actually, STL commercial flight traffic is down significantly --
American Airlines whacked 50% of their flights on November 1, 2003 and
downgraded many other flights to commuter jets.

Frijoles
September 7th 04, 01:48 AM
When I was there in '91 they capped altitude based on commercial traffic at
a given time of the day.

"Bob Coe" > wrote in message
> "ramrod48" > wrote
> > The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
> > shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
> > show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
> > were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
> > I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
> > tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
> > year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
> > "high show" until next year.
> >
> > Any other facts or opinions?
>
> Probably a flight restriction due to dense air traffic.

John Doe
September 7th 04, 10:01 PM
Nah, I've seen their full show in April....which was well after the T-bird
crash.

It is probably more to do with pilot proficiency.

"ramrod48" > wrote in message
om...
> The Blue Angels are in St. Louis this weekend. Having seen several
> shows in past years, I'm surprised that they've flown only the "low
> show" here this year. Initially, I thought that perhaps the ceilings
> were marginal, but yesterday's weather was perfect. The only reasons
> I can think of: (a) since the Thunderbird crash last year, DoD has
> tightened the rules (b) since they had to replace a pilot earlier this
> year after winter practice, they decided to shelve the more risky
> "high show" until next year.
>
> Any other facts or opinions?

Google