PDA

View Full Version : Aviation accidents alarming Marines

Otis Willie
September 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Aviation accidents alarming Marines

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040910-9999-7m10crashes.html

{EXCERPT}

Miramar officer cites 'supervisory gaps', by Rick Rogers UNION-TRIBUNE
STAFF WRITER

September 10, 2004

Marine Corps aviation is having its most accident-prone year since
1990, prompting the high command to worry that it is "degrading" the
service's ability to fight the war on terrorism.

Since October, when the fiscal year began, 15 crashes have killed 15
Marines. Eight accidents and 10 deaths involved aircraft based at
Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

The situation is so serious that Marine Commandant Gen. Mike Hagee
sent a safety message to flight commanders in late July saying: "We
are currently taking significant losses from a self-inflicted internal
threat: noncombat mishaps. Our peacetime training mistakes ar...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library