PDA

View Full Version : SeeYou Mobile contest start bug

Bruno[_2_]
July 16th 10, 02:36 PM
Last year I noticed that if you are flying a contest start and you
exit the start cylinder through the top the latest version of SeeYou
Mobile doesn't start the task correctly. I pointed this out to the
SeeYou team in January at the convention and they said a new release
would fix the problem...there have been no new releases.

Anyone else experienced this problem? It seems like the only solution
in the meantime is to always start out the side but I would hate to
have to give up a strong thermal just because of needing to leave the
cylinder. = lame. Any ideas?

By the way, I have new video equipment in the cockpit for filming
during the Logan, UT Region 9 contest next week. Can't wait to see
how it works out! - past videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/bviv

Thanks,
Bruno - B4

Tim Taylor
July 16th 10, 03:07 PM
On Jul 16, 7:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
> Last year I noticed that if you are flying a contest start and you
> exit the start cylinder through the top the latest version of SeeYou
> Mobile doesn't start the task correctly. *I pointed this out to the
> SeeYou team in January at the convention and they said a new release
> would fix the problem...there have been no new releases.
>
> Anyone else experienced this problem? It seems like the only solution
> in the meantime is to always start out the side but I would hate to
> have to give up a strong thermal just because of needing to leave the
> cylinder. = lame. *Any ideas?
>
> By the way, I have new video equipment in the cockpit for filming
> during the Logan, UT Region 9 contest next week. *Can't wait to see
> how it works out! *- past videos: *http://www.youtube.com/user/bviv
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno - B4

Bruno,

Be a man, fly with WinPilot. We don't need no stinkn automatic start,
we have to push the button. Can't get Jerry to program something fancy
like that.

See you in Logan, today's practice task looks like the Grand Teton O/R
(300sm).

T8
July 16th 10, 03:57 PM
On Jul 16, 9:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
> Any ideas?

Yeah: don't be a slave to your software.

If start out the top is the right thing to do, do it.

Work around: set start gate altitude way high to avoid warning
messages. Use $30 wrist watch stop watch function for time on task.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Andy[_1_]
July 16th 10, 05:31 PM
On Jul 16, 6:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
> *Any ideas?

Set the maximum start alt to an altitude you cannot possibly reach and
start then out the top if that is appropriate. The glide computer will
detect your later start out the side and the time/speed error will be
negligible after you have gone a few miles on course.

Andy (GY)

Bruno[_2_]
July 16th 10, 06:35 PM
On Jul 16, 10:31*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 6:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
>
> > *Any ideas?
>
> Set the maximum start alt to an altitude you cannot possibly reach and
> start then out the top if that is appropriate. The glide computer will
> detect your later start out the side and the time/speed error will be
> negligible after you have gone a few miles on course.
>
> Andy (GY)

Enjoyable responses so far, "Don't be a slave" "be a man" "use a
watch" Thanks enjoyed the help. :)

The idea of increasing the maximum start altitude sounded good for 3
seconds but you forgot something. It will make a huge difference in
the following scenario: top of cylinder is 10,000 agl. In Logan you
can get up to 17,500+ on most good summer days. The time continuing
to thermal up and then exit the cylinder side would be 15 minutes if
you we climbing around 500 fpm. Last year I didn't worry about the
glide computer so I didn't get all the stats showing average time on
task so far and predicted time over/under. Those stats would be
helpful. I am assuming that most racers are using SeeYou mobile now.
So all you guys at Parawan just ignored the bug, flew out the top and
didn't get any stats? That can't be.

Bruno

Darryl Ramm
July 16th 10, 06:52 PM
On Jul 16, 9:31*am, Andy > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 6:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
>
> > *Any ideas?
>
> Set the maximum start alt to an altitude you cannot possibly reach and
> start then out the top if that is appropriate. The glide computer will
> detect your later start out the side and the time/speed error will be
> negligible after you have gone a few miles on course.
>
> Andy (GY)

You cannot set the max start altitude because current versions of
SeeYou Mobile have no concept of max start altitude. Although I've
been amused by pilots diddling the max start altitude in SeeYou and
thinking that somehow syncs over in a task to SeeYou Mobile. SeeYou
does know about max start height for analyzing a race task.

So just fly and SeeYou Mobile should start you out the side of the
cylinder. I'd not get so worried about this unless there is some nasty
bug hidden here which I don't think there is. Yes I know some places
run huge start cylinders...so pilots might worry about this until on
task for a while. Besides worrying about starting out the top, SeeYou
obviously does not give you a warning for busting the max start
altitude and if you want to worry about really small things SeeYou
Mobile and SeeYou do FAI and not SSA rule style starts so if you want
to worry about really small things...

Having to, or wanting to, manually press a button to do a start is a
bad idea IMNSHO, eyes outside during busy starts please. It would be
nice if SeeYou Mobile did start out the top, I hope they add this.

Darryl

Andy[_1_]
July 16th 10, 07:59 PM
On Jul 16, 10:35*am, Bruno > wrote:
> *That can't be.

My response was based on using LK8000 which does not handle start out
the top properly. I have not flown with SYM. The work around has
worked ok for me this season but I didn't fly Parowan this year and
don't plan to be at Logan.

Why would you waste time in a 500 fpm thermal? Get out on course and
find 10kts ;)

Andy

T8
July 16th 10, 08:57 PM
On Jul 16, 1:35*pm, Bruno > wrote:
> That can't be.

That *is*. Except for guys using SN10s and ClearNavs.

I use my watch. Really.

-T8

John Seaborn[_2_]
July 16th 10, 10:54 PM
A WATCH? Go high tech, get a kitchen timer that counts up and down in
seconds. The beatuty of this approach is that they can be found in
red, they vibrate, sound an alarm AND flash when your Min time is up.
Very exciting in the cockpit.

John Seaborn - GN II

'On Jul 16, 1:57*pm, T8 > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 1:35*pm, Bruno > wrote:
>
> > That can't be.
>
> That *is*. *Except for guys using SN10s and ClearNavs.
>
> I use my watch. *Really.
>
> -T8

rlovinggood
July 16th 10, 11:56 PM
On Jul 16, 10:57*am, T8 > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 9:36*am, Bruno > wrote:
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> Yeah: don't be a slave to your software.
>
> If start out the top is the right thing to do, do it.
>
> Work around: set start gate altitude way high to avoid warning
> messages. *Use $30 wrist watch stop watch function for time on task.
>
> -Evan Ludeman / T8

You see, there those 15m guys go with money not an object. THIRTY
DOLLARS? Where do they get that kind of cash? :-) Go get a $10
kitchen timer. One that counts up and down. (Some pilots like the
timer to count up, the others like them to count down. Your choice.)
Oh yea, they give the time, too. Velco it to the panel. Works
great. Find them in the Aviation Supplies Department of your local
WalMart.

Ray Lovinggood
Club Class Pilot

T8
July 17th 10, 12:28 AM
On Jul 16, 6:56*pm, rlovinggood > wrote:
> THIRTY
> DOLLARS?

Now that was funny.

Yep, guilty as charged. It's my wrist watch, my wake up alarm, my
beer-in-the-freezer timer (20 - 25 minutes works well) and my time on
task stop watch. That's the only justification for spending thirty
whole dollars.

Btw, I have a club class glider in the same trailer as my 15m ship.
Pretty cool, no?

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Google