PDA

View Full Version : Re: Aerotow takeoff with Cirrus, aileron rudder use

Andy[_1_]
July 29th 10, 12:31 AM
On Jul 28, 3:46*pm, akiley > wrote:

> A little follow up for clarification. *I can't figure out what's more
> important, staying behind the tow plane or trying to level the wings
> with rudder during the initial roll. *(assuming ailerons are mostly
> useless at this slow speed) It seems, at least on the initial roll,
> that you can't always have it both ways. *

There isn't a conflict here. The rudder input required to raise the
wing is a rapid and brief pulse input that has no significant affect
of the lateral displacement of the glider. You want to get a
significant yaw rate but not a large change in direction. (Stomp on
the rudder and almost immediately bring it back to center)

Once the problem of the wing drop is corrected the increasing speed
and aileron control allows normal use of the rudder to track behind
the tug.

(Never flown the Cirrus but no stranger to use of rudder to raise the
wing on other types)

Andy (GY)

Google