PDA

View Full Version : need Libelle wheel installed pix

Brad[_2_]
July 29th 10, 09:23 PM
any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
pin assy works.

is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

thanks,
Brad

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
July 29th 10, 10:51 PM
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:23:50 -0700, Brad wrote:

> any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks when
> it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea of how
> the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation pin assy
> works.

No photos - sorry.

> is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?

No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Grider Pirate
July 29th 10, 11:25 PM

> No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
> is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.

....and is adequate for stopping a 30 pound bicycle with a 160 pound
rider too.
Brad, have you flown a Libelle or spoken with any Libelle owners about
the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?

Bob Kuykendall
July 29th 10, 11:39 PM
On Jul 29, 3:25*pm, Grider Pirate > wrote:

> ... the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?

I think you'd do better to use the Matco rig I have at the shop. Or
maybe the 5" Azusa wheel, Lamb tire, and a half-set of the Tracy
O'Brien C-90 brake rig.

Chris Reed[_2_]
July 29th 10, 11:44 PM
Grider Pirate wrote:
>> No, the standard set-up is a brake lever on the stick. The cable travel
>> is quite short. The brake lever looks like a standard bicycle unit.
>>
> ....and is adequate for stopping a 30 pound bicycle with a 160 pound
> rider too.
> Brad, have you flown a Libelle or spoken with any Libelle owners about
> the awesomeness of the Libelle wheel brake?

I've not flown a Libelle, but think the same or a similar brake is on my
Open Cirrus, which is rather heavier than a Libelle.

The brake has two uses:

1. It stops me overrunning the aerotow rope as it comes taut.

2. It makes a faint grating noise during the landing run.

Fred[_4_]
July 29th 10, 11:51 PM
My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
open. I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. If I can
remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
also.
Fred
On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad > wrote:
> any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
> when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
> of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
> pin assy works.
>
> is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?
>
> thanks,
> Brad

Craig[_2_]
July 30th 10, 01:00 AM
On Jul 29, 3:51*pm, Fred > wrote:
> My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
> handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
> open. *I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
> slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. *If I can
> remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
> also.
> Fred
> On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad > wrote:
>
> > any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
> > when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
> > of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
> > pin assy works.
>
> > is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?
>
> > thanks,
> > Brad

Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)

Craig

Brad[_2_]
July 30th 10, 02:11 AM
On Jul 29, 5:00*pm, Craig > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 3:51*pm, Fred > wrote:
>

> > My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
> > handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
> > open. *I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
> > slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. *If I can
> > remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
> > also.
> > Fred
> > On Jul 29, 3:23*pm, Brad > wrote:
>
> > > any Libelle owners out there have pics of how the wheel assy looks
> > > when it's bolted up to the landing gear tubes? I want to get an idea
> > > of how the brake cable housing terminates and how the anti-rotation
> > > pin assy works.
>
> > > is the brake actuated by the airbrake pull?
>
> > > thanks,
> > > Brad
>
> Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)
>
> Craig

you guys are freaking me out!

I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
style!

Brad

Grider Pirate
July 30th 10, 04:16 AM
On Jul 29, 6:11*pm, Brad > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 5:00*pm, Craig > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 29, 3:51*pm, Fred > wrote:
>
> > > My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
> > > handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
> > > open. *I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
> > > slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. *If I can
> > > remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
> > > also.
> > > Fred

> > Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)
>
> > Craig
>
> you guys are freaking me out!
>
> I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
> style!
>
> Brad- Hide quoted text -

That will get really noisy at speed. You might want to use that Disc
brake setup Bob K. has instead.

JJ Sinclair
July 30th 10, 02:06 PM
On Jul 29, 6:11*pm, Brad > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 5:00*pm, Craig > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 29, 3:51*pm, Fred > wrote:
>
> > > My Libelle 301b #65 has the wheel brake cable attached to the spoiler
> > > handle and is adjusted to activate the brake when pulled to its full
> > > open. *I don't have any pictures, but on mine, the anti-rotation pin
> > > slides into a slot in the bottom of the left gear strut. *If I can
> > > remember correctly, there is a cable guide built into the left strut
> > > also.
> > > Fred

Brad,
If your hub has spoke holes, it is the original motorcycle wheel and
is quite weak. The axle and bearings wont hold up to a hard landing +
the brake shoes are small. Stiefenater can provide a Tost wheel which
is much stronger and with a wider brake shoe. Spike the shoe to the
drum by gluing 80 grit sandpaper to the drum, then rotate the wheel
with the brake actuated to "spike" a perfect fit (remove sandpaper)
and the brake will be adequate................not good, but it will
stop the Libelle when applied at 20 knots.
JJ
> > Brakes aren't a great place to suddenly go retro-style ;-)
>
> > Craig
>
> you guys are freaking me out!
>
> I'll cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and go Fred Flintstone
> style!
>
> Brad- Hide quoted text -

JS
July 31st 10, 02:01 AM
Would have thought JJ knew...
Contact Michael at Vintage Brake in Sonora, California.
He'll put a stop to it.
Jim

Google