PDA

View Full Version : Re: VIDEO: F/A-18 catches a deck wire with its wingtip duringacarrier landing ... More data

Pechs1
October 24th 04, 03:53 PM
John-<< Point of all this? Even those with profession experience/knowledge
have
differing opinions. And, your career can survive a mishap .... maybe.
>><BR><BR>

I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox, have
ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help people
remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

I was hopin' it would give me new callsign, it didn't. Still hate the one I
have.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Paul Michael Brown
October 24th 04, 05:37 PM
> I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S during blue water ops on Midway, at
> night. Big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO (Fox, have
> ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Please explain: "Big CDTL."

John R Weiss
October 24th 04, 06:12 PM
"Paul Michael Brown" > wrote...

> Please explain: "Big CDTL."

Come Down to Land. In this case, the deck coming UP at an inopportune time made
it that much worse...

John R Weiss
October 24th 04, 06:12 PM
"Pechs1" > wrote...

> I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
> night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox, have
> ya seen my movie, Farrell).
>
> Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help people
> remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too! Kinda got
in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)

Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was salvaged for
parts...

Larry
October 24th 04, 06:23 PM
"John R Weiss" > wrote in message
> "Pechs1" > wrote...
> >
> > I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway,
at
> > night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox,
have
> > ya seen my movie, Farrell).
> >
> > Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help
people
> > remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.
>
> Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too!
Kinda got
> in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)

I'm confused. If the Hornet 'hulk' was parked back on Elevator 3 (located on
the Starboard side, Aft) why would it interfere with the lens (located on
the Port side, Amidships)?

> Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was
salvaged for
> parts...

They always 'finagle' the figures so it does not appear as bad (on paper) as
it really was. I went 'around and around' a few times on the correct mishap
reporting procedures when I was in QA. Ultimately, the Skipper signs it, so
the Skipper gets it worded his way.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'

José Herculano
October 24th 04, 08:50 PM
> I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on Midway, at
> night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed' by the CO(Fox,
> have
> ya seen my movie, Farrell).

Yautch. Was it the rainbow tailled CAG bird, modex 200? That got its
starboard wing almost ripped of?

>Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help
>people
> remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.

Class C ? Then it *can't* be that one...
_____________
José Herculano

John R Weiss
October 24th 04, 11:21 PM
"Larry" <@ .> wrote...

>> Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise, too!
> Kinda got in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-)
>
> I'm confused. If the Hornet 'hulk' was parked back on Elevator 3 (located on
> the Starboard side, Aft) why would it interfere with the lens (located on
> the Port side, Amidships)?

IIRC, El 3 on Midway was port side aft -- only 3 elevators, 3 wires, and 2 cats
on the boat.

Of course, my memory has faded in the 21 years since I was aboard... But I DO
remember it was a Phantom, not a Hornet!

Dave in San diego
October 25th 04, 09:34 AM
"José Herculano" > wrote in
:

>> I put a strut thru the wing of an F-4S druing blue water ops on
>> Midway, at night. big CDTL, plus pitching deck altho I was 'slammed'
>> by the CO(Fox, have
>> ya seen my movie, Farrell).
>
> Yautch. Was it the rainbow tailled CAG bird, modex 200? That got its
> starboard wing almost ripped of?
>
>>Creative book keepin' made it a class C mishap and all it did was help
>>people
>> remember my name, not the mishap..that sometimes happens also.
>
> Class C ? Then it *can't* be that one...

Are you sure it was at night? I have a copy of the PLAT video of that and
it sure looks like a day trap. I also have, somewhere in my crap, pix of
that thing sitting on El 3.

Yup, just looked at the video - definitely daytime, since I can see the
whitecaps past the deck edge. It's too poor a quality to get the date or
time from it, though.

Dave in San Diego
CV-41 '80-'83

Pechs1
October 25th 04, 02:26 PM
PMB-<< Please explain: "Big CDTL." >><BR><BR>

Come Down To Land....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
October 25th 04, 02:29 PM
JRweiss-<< Damm airplane sat up there by El 3 the whole rest of the cruise,
too! Kinda got
in the way of the lens sometimes... ;-) >><BR><BR>
<< Hmmm... Class C mishap, for an airplane with a broke wing that was salvaged
for
parts... >><BR><BR>

You are thinking of Dean Steele's day landing when the right wing peeled off
like a orange peel. Failed at the wing root, good thing he caught a wire. Guy
in the back seat broke his back..I was the 'tower flower' for the landing.

I just poked the strut thru the top of the wing a wee bit...craned/braged it to
KimHae, I flew it back onbard 9 months later.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Pechs1
October 25th 04, 02:32 PM
Jose-<< Yautch. Was it the rainbow tailled CAG bird, modex 200? That got its
starboard wing almost ripped of? >><BR><BR>

That was Dean Steele(pilot) and Gary halmark(RIO), during the day and he was
lucky to get a wire. We never really learned what happened. I was in the tower,
and the deck wasn't really pitching...kinda 'heaving' a little bit but that's
all.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

nafod40
October 25th 04, 03:05 PM
Pechs1 wrote:
> PMB-<< Please explain: "Big CDTL." >><BR><BR>
>
> Come Down To Land....

Also known as TFATM

Pechs1
October 25th 04, 03:53 PM
naf-<< Also known as TFATM >><BR><BR>

???

to ****in awful to make (it)??
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

nafod40
October 25th 04, 04:12 PM
Pechs1 wrote:
> naf-<< Also known as TFATM >><BR><BR>
>
> ???
>
> to ****in awful to make (it)??

That last two letters stand for "Tall Moose"

John Carrier
October 25th 04, 10:14 PM
I learned it in less PC times. Like a TFATI.

R / John

"nafod40" > wrote in message
> Pechs1 wrote:
>> naf-<< Also known as TFATM >><BR><BR>
>>
>> ???
>>
>> to ****in awful to make (it)??
>
> That last two letters stand for "Tall Moose"

Pechs1
October 26th 04, 03:09 PM
Naf-<< That last two letters stand for "Tall Moose" >><BR><BR>

I'd say that would be a HAW, CDTL...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Google