PDA

View Full Version : USA - NTSB Final Reports Question

Bob Whelan[_3_]
August 9th 10, 09:22 PM
Does any reader know how someone learn in a timely manner when the NTSB
has released a final report of an accident investigation? Searching
their site hasn't revealed the answer to me. I'm interested either in
gaining visibility into their 'output queue' or alternatively simply
being able to learn when something pops into the public domain without
being dependent upon media outlets.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Bob W.

P.S. If 'local legend' is correct, the NTSB online-database isn't
complete, based upon being unable to find any reference to a fatal
1-26/powerplane mid-air I've more than once been told occurred at the
Boulder (CO) airport landing pattern ca. 1972. I believe(d) the rumors
because: 1) in the tales I heard, the glider pilot - a club member -
died, and 2) the alleged accident had happened 'recently' (<5 years
before my arrival on the local scene). Furthermore, another
verbally-conveyed fatal glider accident from ~the same time period
*does* appear in the database.

Tony[_5_]
August 9th 10, 10:13 PM
On Aug 9, 3:22*pm, Bob Whelan > wrote:
> Does any reader know how someone learn in a timely manner when the NTSB
> has released a final report of an accident investigation? Searching
> their site hasn't revealed the answer to me. I'm interested either in
> gaining visibility into their 'output queue' or alternatively simply
> being able to learn when something pops into the public domain without
> being dependent upon media outlets.
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Bob W.
>
> P.S. If 'local legend' is correct, the NTSB online-database isn't
> complete, based upon being unable to find any reference to a fatal
> 1-26/powerplane mid-air I've more than once been told occurred at the
> Boulder (CO) airport landing pattern ca. 1972. I believe(d) the rumors
> because: 1) in the tales I heard, the glider pilot - a club member -
> died, and 2) the alleged accident had happened 'recently' (<5 years
> before my arrival on the local scene). Furthermore, another
> verbally-conveyed fatal glider accident from ~the same time period
> *does* appear in the database.

Bob,

the only way i've ever known is to just keep checking the website from
time to time. I wouldn't be surprised if not all accidents have made
it onto the online database. especially ones from back in the day that
had to at some point be added by hand. records get lost etc etc.

I've seen "simple" accidents take only a month or so to be issued a
final report and others well over a year. In fact I've been checking
on a mid air that happened early last summer and it still hasn't had
the report issued. When I had a nose gear collapse on a Cessna 182RG
it took just a bit over a year, and I thought that was a pretty
"simple" incident.

Google