PDA

View Full Version : A Visit to Clark Co airport. - File 11 of 11 - Pratt-Whitney_T-34_B-17_testbed_NAN10-50.jpg (1/1)

John Szalay[_2_]
August 12th 10, 07:33 PM

Bruce R
August 15th 10, 03:08 PM
"John Szalay" <john.szalay.at.att.net> wrote in message
42...

Story on this one?? Are the 4 main engines off and props feathered?? Test
bed for the engines on the B-36??

Bruce

Bob Moore
August 15th 10, 04:05 PM
"Bruce R" > wrote
> Story on this one?? Are the 4 main engines off and props feathered??
> Test bed for the engines on the B-36??

A Boeing B-17 used as the testbed for the Pratt & Whitney T-34 tuboprop
engine. In 1945 the U.S. Navy funded the development of a turboprop engine.
The T-34 was produced from 1951 to 1960, but never used in a U.S. Navy
aircraft. The best known "user" was the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster.

Anyolmouse[_2_]
August 15th 10, 05:05 PM
"Bruce R" > wrote in message
ng.com...
:
: "John Szalay" <john.szalay.at.att.net> wrote in message
: 42...
:
:
: Story on this one?? Are the 4 main engines off and props feathered??
Test
: bed for the engines on the B-36??
:
: Bruce

The engines props were feathered when testing the turbine engine mounted
on the nose. There also were tests using a huge radial engine too.
http://www.pointniner.com/2008/08/single-engine-b-17-other-rare-aircraft.html
Here is a page on the history of the B-17.
http://www.456fis.org/HISTORY_OF_THE_B-17.htm Scroll way down the page
until you come to EB-17 conversions. Couldn't find where there was any
reference to the B-36 during any of these tests.

--
We have met the enemy and he is us-- Pogo

Anyolmouse

John Szalay[_2_]
August 15th 10, 05:33 PM
"Bruce R" > wrote in
ng.com:

> "John Szalay" <john.szalay.at.att.net> wrote in message
> 42...
>

> Story on this one?? Are the 4 main engines off and props feathered??
> Test bed for the engines on the B-36??
>
> Bruce

look like they are feathered to me..

"let them rest, its time to put the big guy to work..."

Google