View Full Version : Not my Navy!

Jim
December 12th 04, 12:25 AM
http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Steven P. McNicoll
December 12th 04, 12:56 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Is the Navy trying to look more professional by adopting a USAF look?

Elmshoot
December 12th 04, 01:07 AM
Chief Jim,
YGTBSM! What is that kind of uniform? Will this replace the Crackerjack? I know
that most of the blue Jackets that were in my squadron liked the crackerjack.
It set them apart, They wanted a easy to maintain working uniform but the dress
uniform. You didn't have to guess what service they were in.
Sad sad day :(
Sparky

Jim
December 12th 04, 01:22 AM
Elmshoot wrote:
> Chief Jim,
> YGTBSM! What is that kind of uniform? Will this replace the Crackerjack? I know
> that most of the blue Jackets that were in my squadron liked the crackerjack.
> It set them apart, They wanted a easy to maintain working uniform but the dress
> uniform. You didn't have to guess what service they were in.
> Sad sad day :(
> Sparky

Appears to me to be Marines with a rating badge.

Larry
December 12th 04, 01:56 AM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Geez, That PO3 (SW) looked like a Marine at first glance.

Why does *everyone* have to keep screwing with the uniforms? Maybe the same
reason a dog licks his ass- because he can?

<shaking my head in amazement>

I thought it was bad under Zumwalt- This is ridiculous!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
USN 'Retired'

old hoodoo
December 12th 04, 02:40 AM
A dog licks his balls because he can, not his ass...he licks his ass
cause he likes the taste of crap.

Larry wrote:
> "Jim" > wrote in message
>
>>http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493
>

> Geez, That PO3 (SW) looked like a Marine at first glance.
>
> Why does *everyone* have to keep screwing with the uniforms? Maybe the same
> reason a dog licks his ass- because he can?
>
> <shaking my head in amazement>
>
> I thought it was bad under Zumwalt- This is ridiculous!
>
> Larry
> AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
> USN 'Retired'

Larry
December 12th 04, 02:45 AM
"old hoodoo" > wrote in message
> Come to think of it, those uniforms do look like crap.

They are pretty bad!

Larry

old hoodoo
December 12th 04, 02:46 AM

old hoodoo wrote:

> A dog licks his balls because he can, not his ass...he licks his ass
> cause he likes the taste of crap.
>

> Larry wrote:
>
>> "Jim" > wrote in message
>>
>>> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493
>>

>> Geez, That PO3 (SW) looked like a Marine at first glance.
>>
>> Why does *everyone* have to keep screwing with the uniforms? Maybe the
>> same
>> reason a dog licks his ass- because he can?
>>
>> <shaking my head in amazement>
>>
>> I thought it was bad under Zumwalt- This is ridiculous!
>>
>> Larry
>> AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
>> USN 'Retired'

Yeff
December 12th 04, 02:46 AM
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:25:11 -0500, Jim wrote:

> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Hey, current and former Zoomies managed to mock the proposed *blue* BDUs
enough that the Air Force gave up on that idiocy. Maybe that means there's
still a chance for you guys to stop khakis for everyone?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

December 12th 04, 03:26 AM
Now y'all know how I felt in my USAF career. I really got ****ed when
the brass deep-sixed the Steve Canyon trenchcoat for yet another
version of a blue wool blanket. That good old trenchcoat is still
giving good service here in Colorado winters.
Walt BJ

BUFDRVR
December 12th 04, 04:19 AM
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

>Is the Navy trying to look more professional by adopting a USAF look?

Perhaps this is a complimentary effort to Gen. McPeak's attempt to make our
service dress look more like the Navy's?

For the life of me I can't figure out why the services spend so much time and
money changing uniforms. The whole "unique BDU" fiasco is a prime example. I
thought the smart service would be the one to hold on to the current BDU while
the other 3 changed to a "unique BDU" and by default they would have a unique
BDU without the time or money spent in inventing a new one. Alas, no service
did.....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Jake Donovan
December 12th 04, 05:10 AM
This is just a test. It is also the 4 uniform change test in 7 years. I'll
believe when it happens

Jake

"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Thomas Schoene
December 12th 04, 06:15 AM
Elmshoot wrote:
> Chief Jim,
> YGTBSM! What is that kind of uniform? Will this replace the
> Crackerjack? I know that most of the blue Jackets that were in my
> squadron liked the crackerjack. It set them apart, They wanted a easy
> to maintain working uniform but the dress uniform. You didn't have to
> guess what service they were in.
> Sad sad day :(

No, this would not replace any of the dress uniforms -- crackerjacks and
dress whites stay. The year-round uniform would replace the winter working
blues and summer working whites.

http://www.flagshipnews.com/current/dec092004_1.shtml

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Jim
December 12th 04, 11:49 AM
Elmshoot wrote:
> Chief Jim,
> YGTBSM! What is that kind of uniform? Will this replace the Crackerjack? I know
> that most of the blue Jackets that were in my squadron liked the crackerjack.
> It set them apart, They wanted a easy to maintain working uniform but the dress
> uniform. You didn't have to guess what service they were in.
> Sad sad day :(
> Sparky

I wore the crackerjacks back in the '60's and 70's. For a working, non
dungaree uniform it was hard to beat the undress blues. The woolen
nature meant they were nearly maintenance free. Wrinkles unheard of.
Shake them out, grab a lint roller, and a minute later you were on your
way. With a spare dree jumper available you were ready to go out the
gate anytime.

Jim
December 12th 04, 11:52 AM
Elmshoot wrote:
> Chief Jim,
> YGTBSM! What is that kind of uniform? Will this replace the Crackerjack? I know
> that most of the blue Jackets that were in my squadron liked the crackerjack.
> It set them apart, They wanted a easy to maintain working uniform but the dress
> uniform. You didn't have to guess what service they were in.
> Sad sad day :(
> Sparky
I wore the crackerjacks back in the '60's and 70's. For a working, non
dungaree uniform it was hard to beat the undress blues. The woolen
nature meant they were nearly maintenance free. Wrinkles unheard of.
Shake them out, grab a lint roller, and a minute later you were on your
way. With a spare dress jumper available you were ready to go out the
gate anytime.

Pechs1
December 12th 04, 03:28 PM
ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The USN
tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

December 12th 04, 04:43 PM
wrote:

>http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

When I first looked at the pictures and saw that they were presented
at a NAVMEDCEN I thought it was for the health services folks. A very
similar uniform is presently used by male corpsmen attached to Marine
units. I would bet that female corpsmen have a "Woman Marine" look.

Then I re-read it and saw it was a proposal for ALL Navy enlisted men.

I guess I give this a Big Thumbs Down. What's wrong with Marines
looking like Marines and Sailors like Sailors?????

The womans version makes the model look pregnant. Or maybe just VERY
"hippy." On a really thin woman (who has never had children) this
might "get by." But add the natural spreading of the pelvis that
comes with child birth (or the "natural spread" that comes with age)
and you won't have too many happy enlisted women.

In any event I can't see too many women opting for this. My wife (a
retired O-6 Flight Surgeon) agrees.

Maybe looking like the Good Humor Man in summer and Lash LaRue in
winter is not so bad after all.

Bill Kambic

Nice Guy
December 12th 04, 06:07 PM
They look good to me.

"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Nice Guy
December 12th 04, 06:09 PM
Obviously not working uniform. Doh!!

"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The
USN
> tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Jack & Bev Biagini
December 13th 04, 12:09 AM
How am I suppossed to press that by putting it under my mattress? Or am I
dating myself??

Jack
Old Fart Rotorhead
"Pechs1" > wrote in message
> ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The
> USN
> tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
> Phlyer

NimBill
December 13th 04, 02:57 AM
>From: (Pechs1)

>From: (Pechs1)

>ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The
>USN
>tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?
>P. C. Chisholm
>CDR, USN(ret.)
>Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye Phlyer

Dungarees are good with me.

I think the big thing against dungarees is that prisons had not discovered
orange back in my day.

Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal
December 13th 04, 03:09 AM
On 12/12/04 9:28 AM, in article
, "Pechs1" >
wrote:

> ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The USN
> tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?
> P. C. Chisholm
> CDR, USN(ret.)
> Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye Phlyer

Went to my line shack today, and nearly all of the sailors there LIKED the
new uniforms deeming them more practical and consolidated. I tried to
poker-face and remain neutral, but frankly, I'm not impressed with them.

--Woody

Michael Wise
December 13th 04, 06:47 AM
In article >,
(Pechs1) wrote:

> ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the same. The USN
> tried this before with disasterous results. What is wrong with dungarees?

Anybody was has had to wear them as a uniform item would never ask that
question. : )

If nothing is wrong with them why can't they be worn off base?

--Mike

Dave in San diego
December 13th 04, 08:28 AM
Michael Wise > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> (Pechs1) wrote:
>
>> ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the
>> same. The USN tried this before with disasterous results. What is
>> wrong with dungarees?
>

> Anybody was has had to wear them as a uniform item would never ask
> that question. : )
>

> If nothing is wrong with them why can't they be worn off base?

Because the folks that get them filthy dirty during work don't have
enough sense not to wear them off base. That was a problem during the
short times when it was allowed when I was in. Also, some folks,
frequently from the above group, wore them in inappropriate places, like
local bars, and screwed it up for the rest of us who could follow the
rules.

Dave in San Diego
USN Enlisted
1969 - 1989

tscottme
December 13th 04, 01:03 PM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

Will the maternity top be limited to female enlisted types? ;-)

--

Scott

"Arafat remains in stable condition after dying in a Paris hospital."

Don McIntyre
December 13th 04, 03:04 PM
Scott wrote:

>Will the maternity top be limited to female enlisted types? ;-)

Only until the male completes his CPO initiation. 8-)
Oh, I also think the surgically-attached coffee cup goes with it. 8-)

Sorry, couldn't help it.

While I did like the look of the crackerjacks, I did HATE those
13-buttons! Had to have been an Officer above the rank of LT who
invented THAT one! (please not Humor-mode selected to the ON position)
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN
AW-1, USN, 1975-95

Yofuri
December 13th 04, 06:28 PM
Dave in San diego wrote:
> Michael Wise > wrote in
> :
>

>>In article >,
>> (Pechs1) wrote:
>>

>>>ooooo-rah..geeez, the more things change, the more they stay the
>>>same. The USN tried this before with disasterous results. What is
>>>wrong with dungarees?
>>

>>Anybody was has had to wear them as a uniform item would never ask
>>that question. : )
>>

>>If nothing is wrong with them why can't they be worn off base?
>

> Because the folks that get them filthy dirty during work don't have
> enough sense not to wear them off base. That was a problem during the
> short times when it was allowed when I was in. Also, some folks,
> frequently from the above group, wore them in inappropriate places, like
> local bars, and screwed it up for the rest of us who could follow the
> rules.
>
> Dave in San Diego
> USN Enlisted
> 1969 - 1989

Ditto flight suits, both O's and E's.

Rick

Pechs1
December 14th 04, 02:29 PM
<< Will the maternity top be limited to female enlisted types? >><BR><BR>

Ahhh, chicks in the military, now THAT'S a good idea(NOT!). We see the USAF
Academy follies all the time here in CO...guess they still don't get it.

Make the military all women or all men, not Co-Ed.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Joseph T. Galietto
December 15th 04, 07:27 AM
Jim > wrote in :

> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

With the gray uniforms seen in this and other pictures, does anyone else
wonder if someone was channeling Ernest J. King; who loved the WWII officer
grays and hated khaki?

Joe

Joe Osman
December 17th 04, 06:31 PM
"Jim" > wrote in message
> http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19493

The sailor on the left looks like he's afraid a Marine might come by and
beat him up for wearing his uniform.

Joe

dano
December 23rd 04, 01:06 AM
Don,

I don't know if you remember me, but I think you were at the TSC/ASWOC in
Brunswick while I was in VP-26. I somehow ended up back in Brunswick in the
TSC, I may be sitting at your old desk, lol.

Hope all is well.

Dan Miller (AWC for 16 more months May 06)

"Don McIntyre" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Scott wrote:
>
> >Will the maternity top be limited to female enlisted types? ;-)
>
> Only until the male completes his CPO initiation. 8-)
> Oh, I also think the surgically-attached coffee cup goes with it. 8-)
>
> Sorry, couldn't help it.
>
> While I did like the look of the crackerjacks, I did HATE those
> 13-buttons! Had to have been an Officer above the rank of LT who
> invented THAT one! (please not Humor-mode selected to the ON position)
> Don McIntyre
> Clarksville, TN
> AW-1, USN, 1975-95

Google