PDA

View Full Version : 302 5V out

T8
August 25th 10, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know whether the 302 uses an (efficient) switch mode DC
converter, or just a plain old regulator (doubles as a toaster)? I'm
idly wondering if it's worth my while to wire in a separate switch
mode power supply for the PDA -- you can get good quality DC/DC
converters that run with 90% efficiency for five or six bucks.... If
the 302 uses a regulator (as I suspect) the increase in battery life,
or power available to do other things, would be substantial.

-T8

Andy[_1_]
August 25th 10, 11:23 PM
On Aug 25, 2:38*pm, T8 > wrote:
> Does anyone know whether the 302 uses an (efficient) switch mode DC
> converter, or just a plain old regulator (doubles as a toaster)? *

Don't know but I'd be interested in the answer. Although, since my PDA
doesn't use a back light, it's probably not a significant load (always
charged before connected).

I expect you could find out by monitoring the 302 input current and
the 5v output current.

Andy (GY)

T8
August 26th 10, 04:10 AM
On Aug 25, 6:23*pm, Andy > wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2:38*pm, T8 > wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know whether the 302 uses an (efficient) switch mode DC
> > converter, or just a plain old regulator (doubles as a toaster)? *
>
> Don't know but I'd be interested in the answer. Although, since my PDA
> doesn't use a back light, it's probably not a significant load (always
> charged before connected).
>
> I expect you could find out by monitoring the 302 input current and
> the 5v output current.
>
> Andy (GY)

Looking at the specs again and thinking about what's in the box... I'm
guessing it's reasonably likely that the 302 is a 5V device and the
whole shebang is powered by a switch mode power supply with 5V output
and "8 - 16V" input as listed in the specs. And yeah, the proof
would be in measuring the actual current draw on the 12 and 5V
side.

But if anyone knows for sure....

-T8

Google