PDA

View Full Version : How to find someone to inspect a sailplane in New York?

Jeff Casto
August 28th 10, 04:24 AM
I'm considering buying a wood sailplane in New York and want to hire
someone knowledgeable to inspect it. How do I go about locating someone
trustworthy and qualified to do the job?

Thanks,

Jeff

Frank Whiteley
August 28th 10, 05:11 AM
On Aug 27, 9:24*pm, Jeff Casto >
wrote:
> I'm considering buying a wood sailplane in New York and want to hire
> someone knowledgeable to inspect it. How do I go about locating someone
> trustworthy and qualified to do the job?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Must be the Std Austria. Been a long time since I owned an SHK, which
was the 17m version.

Not sure if the glues were casien or resorcinol based. If the joins
are black, it's resorcinol.

I've heard of a very few tail mount frames coming unglued or needing
re-gluing. Of course, landing the tail wheel over a runway berm puts
a lot of stress on that frame and storage counts also.

They were among the best of the wood gliders, but the Dart 17R just
might be tops. I could never out climb one with the SHK.

Frank Whiteley

mike malis
August 28th 10, 05:34 AM
It has been said of the SHK, "You can trust a tree", but wooden
gliders are made up of tree bits. The spar laminations are not
resorcinal, but modified casien glue typically. I have seen clear
adhesive failures in one case.

Knowledgeable wood and fabric mechanics do not grow on, ahem, trees

Would you consider a nice two seat metal ship instead?

;-)

Frank Whiteley
August 28th 10, 06:21 AM
On Aug 27, 10:34*pm, mike malis > wrote:
> It has been said of the SHK, *"You can trust a tree", *but wooden
> gliders are made up of tree bits. The spar laminations are not
> resorcinal, but modified casien glue typically. I have seen clear
> adhesive failures in one case.
>
> Knowledgeable wood and fabric mechanics do not grow on, ahem, trees
>
> Would you consider a nice two seat metal ship instead?
>
> ;-)

Casein glues are known to fail after about 25 years. When I was in
the UK, the Duxford museum was re-gluing a de Havilland Mosquito.

From another (dated) thread
<quote>
Recently, I restored a 1939 British glider.
It was casein.
There was not one glue failure in the entire project.
Not one.
It had been maintained in a proper manner. Varnish and such.
I have found that if the Casein is bad , the wood is bad too. If it
has had
such poor care, the entire project should be in a museum and not
flown.
Regards,
Bob Gaines
Marietta, GA
</unquote>

Resorcinol and urea formaldehyde glues are regarded as superior, but I
recall some comments that early resorcinols were showing some
mechanical losses.

My recommendation would be to ask Uncle Hank. Use the SSA Member
Locator and search Henry Nixon. He'll know who's qualified in the
area. Second choice would be to contact M&H or the Soaring Museum.
Peter Smith might know who to ask.

Good luck,

Frank Whiteley

Google