PDA

View Full Version : Pawnee CO problem

Kurt[_3_]
September 8th 10, 02:27 AM
We have 2 Pawnee's, both 235 HP fixed prop. One has a problem with
carbon monoxide. We have checked everything, to include a new
muffler, tailpipe, exhaust manifolds. We have taped up openings,
stuffed foam in the gear leg openings etc. Still, we get CO in the
cockpit. We even put a small scoop on the left side to direct "clean"
air into the cockpit. We have tried to duplicate everyting on this
Pawnee as is on our other one...the one wihout the problem. Neither
has a heater. Has anyone encountered this before? If so, how did you
solve the problem?

Thanks

Kurt

Andy[_1_]
September 8th 10, 03:35 AM
On Sep 7, 6:27*pm, Kurt > wrote:
> We have 2 Pawnee's, both 235 HP fixed prop. *One has a problem with
> carbon monoxide. *

Are you using the same measurement instrument in both aircraft? (not
the same type but actually the same instrument)

I fly 2 Pawnees at my club but I don't think either has a CO monitor.
Maybe I'll borrow one for my next tow duty.

Andy

ray conlon
September 8th 10, 04:10 AM
On Sep 7, 10:35*pm, Andy > wrote:
> On Sep 7, 6:27*pm, Kurt > wrote:
>
> > We have 2 Pawnee's, both 235 HP fixed prop. *One has a problem with
> > carbon monoxide. *
>
> Are you using the same measurement instrument in both aircraft? (not
> the same type but actually the same instrument)
>
> I fly 2 Pawnees at my club but I don't think either has a CO monitor.
> Maybe I'll borrow one for my next tow duty.
>
> Andy

Mix up a big bucket of soapy water using dishwashing detergent, get a
rubber ball that fits the exhaust stack outlet to plug it, with the
mags COLD, and the engine cut off by leaning the mixture, wet down the
exhaust system, have a couple of guys hold the prop,remove one spark
plug per jug and do a "compession check" with the exhaust valve open,
if you have cracks, just look for the bubles...

September 12th 10, 02:47 AM
On Sep 7, 9:27*pm, Kurt > wrote:
> We have 2 Pawnee's, both 235 HP fixed prop. *One has a problem with
> carbon monoxide. *We have checked everything, to include a new
> muffler, tailpipe, exhaust manifolds. *We have taped up openings,
> stuffed foam in the gear leg openings etc. *Still, we get CO in the
> cockpit. *We even put a small scoop on the left side to direct "clean"
> air into the cockpit. *We have tried to duplicate everyting on this
> Pawnee as is on our other one...the one wihout the problem. *Neither
> has a heater. *Has anyone encountered this before? *If so, how did you
> solve the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kurt

September 12th 10, 02:48 AM
On Sep 7, 9:27*pm, Kurt > wrote:
> We have 2 Pawnee's, both 235 HP fixed prop. *One has a problem with
> carbon monoxide. *We have checked everything, to include a new
> muffler, tailpipe, exhaust manifolds. *We have taped up openings,
> stuffed foam in the gear leg openings etc. *Still, we get CO in the
> cockpit. *We even put a small scoop on the left side to direct "clean"
> air into the cockpit. *We have tried to duplicate everyting on this
> Pawnee as is on our other one...the one wihout the problem. *Neither
> has a heater. *Has anyone encountered this before? *If so, how did you
> solve the problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kurt

ok - I'll try again - Kurt - change the angle of the exhaust. Lengthen
the exhaust. I've had this problem.
Jayne

John Smith
September 14th 10, 09:17 AM
BTiz wrote:
> have stated an issue with CO smell during the winter months.

CO doesn't smell.

> We'll put a CO2 detector in the cockpit this winter.

Actually, CO2 is nontoxic. You'd better install a CO detector.
;-)

BTiz
September 15th 10, 05:31 AM
On Sep 14, 1:17*am, John Smith > wrote:
> BTiz wrote:
> > have stated an issue with CO smell during the winter months.
>
> CO doesn't smell.
>
> > We'll put a CO2 detector in the cockpit this winter.
>
> Actually, CO2 is nontoxic. You'd better install a CO detector.
> ;-)

Now where did that "2" pop in from...
thanx... roger on the CO

Google