PDA

View Full Version : Swift crash

Frank Whiteley
September 14th 10, 02:43 PM
Everything went right after everything went wrong

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pilot-escapes-stunt-glider-smashes-runway.html

Tony[_5_]
September 14th 10, 02:50 PM
On Sep 14, 8:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...

That'll buff right out. The scratches on the canopy, that is. Glad
that he'll be OK, incredible pictures.

Andreas Maurer
September 14th 10, 03:16 PM
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:50:46 -0700 (PDT), Tony >
wrote:

>On Sep 14, 8:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>
>That'll buff right out. The scratches on the canopy, that is. Glad
>that he'll be OK, incredible pictures.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxbulrrQVig

Andreas

September 14th 10, 04:54 PM
On Sep 14, 7:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...

Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
untill rescue crews arrived?
Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.

Robert Mudd

Mike the Strike
September 14th 10, 05:06 PM
On Sep 14, 8:54*am, " >
wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>
> > Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>
> Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
> untill rescue crews arrived?
> Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
> of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
> from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.
>
> Robert Mudd

Classic stall spin from low altitude under strong wind/ wind shear.
You'd have thought an experienced aerobatic pilot would have seen that
coming. He's very lucky!

Mike

Mike

Del Copeland
September 14th 10, 06:53 PM
At 16:06 14 September 2010, Mike the Strike wrote:
>On Sep 14, 8:54=A0am, "
>wrote:
>> On Sep 14, 7:43=A0am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
>>
>> > Everything went right after everything went wrong
>>

>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>>
>> Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
>> untill rescue crews arrived?
>> Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
>> of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
>> from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.
>>
>> Robert Mudd
>
>Classic stall spin from low altitude under strong wind/ wind shear.
>You'd have thought an experienced aerobatic pilot would have seen that
>coming. He's very lucky!

Allegedly he was talking to ATC on the radio as he crashed. He had opened
the airbrakes and forgot tp close them before making the final turn.
Aviate, navigate, communicate in that order!

Derek C

glidergeek
September 14th 10, 07:41 PM
On Sep 14, 8:54*am, " >
wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>
> > Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>
> Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
> untill rescue crews arrived?
> Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
> of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
> from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.
>
> Robert Mudd

He obviously had other thoughts

Scott[_7_]
September 14th 10, 11:36 PM
On 9-14-2010 15:54, wrote:
> On Sep 14, 7:43 am, Frank > wrote:
>> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>
> Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
> untill rescue crews arrived?
> Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
> of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
> from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.
>
> Robert Mudd

They call this phenemonon the "walking wounded". As a car wreck
survivor, I understand this...when you are in the wreck, you have an
incredible urge to get out of the wreck. Almost instinct as there isn't
any thought of injuries. The adrenelin is flowing freely and you feel
absolutely no pain, so you think you are OK....

Wayne Paul
September 15th 10, 03:49 PM
The Daily Mail has several glider related articles.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?searchPhrase=Glider

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com

"Frank Whiteley" > wrote in message ...
> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pilot-escapes-stunt-glider-smashes-runway.html

Frank Whiteley
September 15th 10, 06:28 PM
On Sep 15, 8:49*am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:
> The Daily Mail has several glider related articles.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?searchPhrase=Glider
>
> Waynehttp://www.soaridaho.com

http://www.topix.net/hobbies/gliding

I try to link to most intelligent articles here. That is, without
histrionics, with useful descriptions and details, or those that
capture something special, including blogs.

The site has RSS feeds and code to embed into a web site. See bottom
left of www.coloradosoaring.org for an example. The site 'spiders'
occasionally capture a duplicate or off topic post.

Frank 'SkySlicer' Whiteley

Ramy
September 15th 10, 07:20 PM
I used to subscribe to RSS feed to receive every glider related news
around the world. I unssubscribed after few month as I was getting
depressed almost on a daily basis :-(

Ramy

On Sep 15, 10:28*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> On Sep 15, 8:49*am, "Wayne Paul" > wrote:> The Daily Mail has several glider related articles.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?searchPhrase=Glider
>
> > Waynehttp://www.soaridaho.com
>
> http://www.topix.net/hobbies/gliding
>
> I try to link to most intelligent articles here. *That is, without
> histrionics, with useful descriptions and details, or those that
> capture something special, including blogs.
>
> The site has RSS feeds and code to embed into a web site. * See bottom
> left ofwww.coloradosoaring.orgfor an example. *The site 'spiders'
> occasionally capture a duplicate or off topic post.
>
> Frank 'SkySlicer' Whiteley

Papa3
September 16th 10, 01:43 AM
On Sep 14, 12:06*pm, Mike the Strike > wrote:
> On Sep 14, 8:54*am, " >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 14, 7:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>
> > > Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> > >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi....
>
> > Would it not have been better for the pilot to stay in the cockpit
> > untill rescue crews arrived?
> > Obviously in this crash as in many others involving gliders the chance
> > of spinal cord injury is great. I would think that extracting yourself
> > from the cockpit would increase the chance of aggravating any injury.
>
> > Robert Mudd
>
> Classic stall spin from low altitude under strong wind/ wind shear.
> You'd have thought an experienced aerobatic pilot would have seen that
> coming. *He's very lucky!
>
> Mike
>
> Mike

You'd think... Years ago (young, single, no kids, etc.) I used to
fly in whatever I could whenever I could. I was extremely current/
proficient, including doing some intro-aerobatics instructing in an
L-13AC. A guy at the local airfield invited me up in his two-place
Fox because he wanted to improve his thermalling technique. He's
rocketing around at almost 60kts and 20 degrees of bank and we're
barely climbing. "Let me show you how it's done" I called from the
back seat. "I got it. See here, you just bank it over a bit more,
slow us up a little." "Umm" he says, you might want to watch that
airspeed." "Well, you have to get us slowed up a bit or we'll..."
I started. Never finished that sentence, as by then we were staring
straight down at the ground rotating at a nice rate.

The thing departed into a spin with absolutely NO warning. NO buffet.
NO complaints. One minute we're flying. The next we're spinning.
It really felt like the controls came disconnected. The stick had
almost no load on it for a few seconds. I recovered uneventfully, and
we both had a good chuckle.

Point being, these aerobatic ships with anhedral and symmetrical or
near-symmetrical airfoils aren't very forgiving. There but for the
grace of God...

P3

glidergeek
September 16th 10, 11:16 AM
On Sep 14, 6:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
> Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...

Very interesting observation if you look at the photos you'll notice
the first one impact is about 15-20' in front of the line and the last
one is behind the line on the runway. How is the Swift moving
backwards during the impact sequence?

Dave Stewart
September 16th 10, 12:55 PM
At 10:16 16 September 2010, glidergeek wrote:
>On Sep 14, 6:43=A0am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
>> Everything went right after everything went wrong

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...

>Very interesting observation if you look at the photos you'll notice
>the first one impact is about 15-20' in front of the line and the last
>one is behind the line on the runway. How is the Swift moving
>backwards during the impact sequence?

It bounced, its not unusual for a glider to bounce if it hits wing tip
first. That takes a lot of the energy out of the fuselage impact; that
energy is then unleashed backwards or sideways. As well as his SCI he was
very lucky not to have severe ankle injuries.

I wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Dave

John Smith
September 16th 10, 01:16 PM
Dave Stewart wrote:
> It bounced, its not unusual for a glider to bounce if it hits wing tip
> first.

Luckily I have too little experience to know what is "ususal" or
"unusual" when a glider hits wing tip first.

Derek C
September 16th 10, 02:44 PM
On Sep 16, 11:16*am, glidergeek > wrote:
> On Sep 14, 6:43*am, Frank Whiteley > wrote:
>
> > Everything went right after everything went wrong
>
> >http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1311828/Shoreham-air-crash-pi...
>
> Very interesting observation if you look at the photos you'll notice
> the first one impact is about 15-20' in front of the line and the last
> one is behind the line on the runway. How is the Swift moving
> backwards during the impact sequence?

Some years ago one of my syndicate partners spun our glider in from a
slow autotow launch, with fatal consequences. That impacted nose down
on the runway and bounced several metres backwards. It was a wooden
glider and there was very little left of the cockpit forward of the
leading edge of the wing.

Derek C

Google