PDA

View Full Version : Info on strange linkage ?

Dave Nadler
September 20th 10, 05:01 PM
Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
Or can tell me what that's called ?

Thanks !
Best Regards, Dave

PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
with their associated fairings and drag. It's
out of favor because it is problematic
(cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
out the fairings add negligible drag...

Bob Whelan[_3_]
September 20th 10, 07:06 PM
On 9/20/2010 10:01 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
> Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
> torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
> early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
> Or can tell me what that's called ?
>
> Thanks !
> Best Regards, Dave
>
> PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
> with their associated fairings and drag. It's
> out of favor because it is problematic
> (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
> out the fairings add negligible drag...

Dave,

No drawings or pix, &, I've no idea what it's called, but George Applebay used
the mechanism on Zunis, so he or Fidel at the shop might know...

Regards,
Bob W.

Berry[_2_]
September 20th 10, 07:38 PM
In article >,
Bob Whelan > wrote:

> On 9/20/2010 10:01 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
> > Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
> > torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
> > early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
> > Or can tell me what that's called ?
> >
> > Thanks !
> > Best Regards, Dave
> >
> > PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
> > with their associated fairings and drag. It's
> > out of favor because it is problematic
> > (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
> > out the fairings add negligible drag...
>
> Dave,
>
> No drawings or pix, &, I've no idea what it's called, but George Applebay
> used
> the mechanism on Zunis, so he or Fidel at the shop might know...
>
> Regards,
> Bob W.

Pictures of the rudder drive mechanism can be found on the Libelle Yahoo
group.

You will probably have to join the group. The pictures are in the
"Photos" section under the heading H301 Rudder Linkage. Here's the url
direct to the pictures if it helps:

c/list

Seriously interesting mechanism. The kind of thing to keep one awake at
night trying to visualize how it works. Elegant, but fussy to get right
with bushings and shims. The aileron mechanism looks completely
different, but works the same way. No bushings or shims, though.

Lars Peder Hansen
September 20th 10, 08:04 PM
It's called a Gimbal Drive. If anyone can tell more about it, it must be
Hansjörg Streifeneder at www.streifly.de

Lars Peder

"Bob Whelan" > wrote in message
> On 9/20/2010 10:01 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
>> Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
>> torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
>> early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
>> Or can tell me what that's called ?
>>
>> Thanks !
>> Best Regards, Dave
>>
>> PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
>> with their associated fairings and drag. It's
>> out of favor because it is problematic
>> (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
>> out the fairings add negligible drag...
>
> Dave,
>
> No drawings or pix, &, I've no idea what it's called, but George Applebay
> used the mechanism on Zunis, so he or Fidel at the shop might know...
>
> Regards,
> Bob W.

Brad[_2_]
September 20th 10, 08:33 PM
On Sep 20, 9:01*am, Dave Nadler > wrote:
> Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
> torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
> early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
> Or can tell me what that's called ?
>
> Thanks !
> Best Regards, Dave
>
> PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
> with their associated fairings and drag. It's
> out of favor because it is problematic
> (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
> out the fairings add negligible drag...

also called a skew drive..................we use it in a few places on
the HP-24, but it's a secret where...............I've said too much
already!

Brad

Ventus_a
September 20th 10, 09:20 PM
Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
Or can tell me what that's called ?

Thanks !
Best Regards, Dave

PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
with their associated fairings and drag. It's
out of favor because it is problematic
(cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
out the fairings add negligible drag...

Hi Dave, have sent you details off forum

Colin

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
September 21st 10, 12:23 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:01:48 -0700, Dave Nadler wrote:

> Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the torsion linkage used to
> drive the ailerons in early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ? Or can
> tell me what that's called ?

I've been told that it was originally developed by Messerschmitt and was
used on the Bf-109.

The BGA call it a 'gimbal rudder drive' and I've heard it called a
'crossed gimbal drive'.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

NG[_2_]
September 21st 10, 01:27 PM
On Sep 20, 4:20*pm, Ventus_a >
wrote:
> Dave Nadler;741569 Wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
> > torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
> > early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
> > Or can tell me what that's called ?
>
> > Thanks !
> > Best Regards, Dave
>
> > PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
> > with their associated fairings and drag. It's
> > out of favor because it is problematic
> > (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
> > out the fairings add negligible drag...
>
> Hi Dave, have sent you details off forum
>
> Colin
>
> --
> Ventus_a

The torque tube on the Ventus-A is used to drive the flaps, pushrods
are used for spoilers and ailerons, though they are all mixed and
linked. Will send you details offline...

NG

Dave Nadler
September 23rd 10, 12:35 PM
On Sep 20, 12:01Â*pm, Dave Nadler > wrote:
> Does anybody have a drawing or picture of the
> torsion linkage used to drive the ailerons in
> early Ventus or the rudder in Libelle ?
> Or can tell me what that's called ?
>
> Thanks !
> Best Regards, Dave
>
> PS: It was used to avoid external bellcranks,
> with their associated fairings and drag. It's
> out of favor because it is problematic
> (cost, weight, stiction, etc), and it turns
> out the fairings add negligible drag...

Big thanks, also from Jud for whom I asked
the question, to all those that sent info.

Mega-Thanks to:
Brad, who emailed pics of the Libelle
rudder drive,

Colin Bryan from NZ, who emailed pics of
the Ventus a/b aileron drive nicely exposed
in a damaged wing.

Honorable mention to
Stanislav Poslušný from Czech Republic,
who mailed pics of the 304's rudder drive.
The 304 was the last Glasflugel design,
and the HPH version is much improved -
painted nice bright red instead of drab
blue-gray ;-)