PDA

View Full Version : 7" Tablets will include pixel qi screens

Tim Taylor
September 20th 10, 05:55 PM
How soon will WinPilot and SeeYou Mobile (or XCSoar) run on Android?

I will buy one of the 7" Tablets when they add the Pixel Qi screen.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/09/20/pixel-qi-promises-7-inch-screens/

Richard[_9_]
September 20th 10, 06:08 PM
On Sep 20, 6:55*pm, Tim Taylor > wrote:
> How soon will WinPilot and SeeYou Mobile (or XCSoar) run on Android?
>
> I will buy one of the 7" Tablets when they add the Pixel Qi screen.
>
> http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/09/20/pixel-qi-promises-7-inch-scre...

Pipe Dream comes to mind.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Max Kellermann
September 21st 10, 06:21 AM
Tim Taylor > wrote:
> How soon will WinPilot and SeeYou Mobile (or XCSoar) run on Android?

XCSoar will run on Android by next year. It already runs on desktop
Linux (not well, but it runs). I'm working on it. Long way to go,
but the winter's coming.

Linux/Android will be the primary target operating system for XCSoar,
because Windows Mobile 7 does not allow running XCSoar (or any other
existing software). It is not compatible with prior versions.

Max

PCool
September 21st 10, 04:45 PM
Probably they already work (if they can work with no keys, only touchscreen
I mean).
VMware was seen running on android some months ago.

"Tim Taylor" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> How soon will WinPilot and SeeYou Mobile (or XCSoar) run on Android?
>
> I will buy one of the 7" Tablets when they add the Pixel Qi screen.
>

> http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/09/20/pixel-qi-promises-7-inch-screens/

Max Kellermann
September 22nd 10, 12:04 PM
PCool > wrote:
> Probably they already work (if they can work with no keys, only touchscreen
> I mean).
> VMware was seen running on android some months ago.

You mean Android/x86 running on VMWare? That's trivial, but useless
for your case.

Max

PCool
September 22nd 10, 04:01 PM
There was a video of VMWARE running on an Android platform.
Over 1.5 years ago also a Symbian phone was running both CE and Android
under vmware.
I meant that once VMware is running on Android (as it is already doing on
linux), then you can run whatever OS on android.
Since xcsoar is running also in Win32, it is supposed to work as well on an
XP platform running under vmware.
Or a CE platform running under vmware.
The speed of CPU is by no mean an issue. In 24 months all of those platforms
will be 1Ghz, while the PDA-PNA software can run on 200mhz.
I think it will be a good solution for many applications.

"Max Kellermann" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> PCool > wrote:
>> Probably they already work (if they can work with no keys, only
>> touchscreen
>> I mean).
>> VMware was seen running on android some months ago.
>
> You mean Android/x86 running on VMWare? That's trivial, but useless
> for your case.
>
> Max

Max Kellermann
September 22nd 10, 10:27 PM
PCool > wrote:
> There was a video of VMWARE running on an Android platform.

Found that video. It's a hypervisor which can run Android and Windows
CE in parallel. It's not technically "VMWare on Android", but rather
"Android on VMWare". The demo is already 1,5 years old, and I'm not
holding my breath for the real product.

For this to support LK8000 (or older XCSoar versions), a user needs to
buy a Windows CE license. And of course the VMWare license.

I guess buying a used Windows PDA is cheaper. And faster.

XCSoar 6.0 will be able run on a fully free operating system, with no
additional cost, and no rendering overhead. We will use blazingly
fast OpenGL rendering on Android.

Max

PCool
September 23rd 10, 02:09 AM
We shall see. VMware's products are bullet proof, and their players are free
of charge.
Concerning hardware, the problem with tablets is that they will be large in
screen.
Over 5 inches it becomes a problem for most pilots, not to mention
paragliding people.

What is the time schedule for releasing the 6.0 by the way?
So I can plan the release of my 2.0 (hehe).

Paolo

"Max Kellermann" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> PCool > wrote:
>> There was a video of VMWARE running on an Android platform.
>
> Found that video. It's a hypervisor which can run Android and Windows
> CE in parallel. It's not technically "VMWare on Android", but rather
> "Android on VMWare". The demo is already 1,5 years old, and I'm not
> holding my breath for the real product.
>
> For this to support LK8000 (or older XCSoar versions), a user needs to
> buy a Windows CE license. And of course the VMWare license.
>
> I guess buying a used Windows PDA is cheaper. And faster.
>
> XCSoar 6.0 will be able run on a fully free operating system, with no
> additional cost, and no rendering overhead. We will use blazingly
> fast OpenGL rendering on Android.
>
> Max

Darryl Ramm
September 23rd 10, 03:34 AM
On Sep 22, 2:27*pm, Max Kellermann > wrote:
> PCool > wrote:
> > There was a video of VMWARE running on an Android platform.
>
> Found that video. *It's a hypervisor which can run Android and Windows
> CE in parallel. *It's not technically "VMWare on Android", but rather
> "Android on VMWare". *The demo is already 1,5 years old, and I'm not
> holding my breath for the real product.
>
> For this to support LK8000 (or older XCSoar versions), a user needs to
> buy a Windows CE license. *And of course the VMWare license.
>
> I guess buying a used Windows PDA is cheaper. *And faster.
>
> XCSoar 6.0 will be able run on a fully free operating system, with no
> additional cost, and no rendering overhead. *We will use blazingly
> fast OpenGL rendering on Android.
>
> Max

I was also trying to understand the VMware comment.

Conventional VMware desktop and server products virtualize an x86
processor and provide virtualized or raw access to underlying PC/
server architecture devcies. That entire enviroment is radically
differnet to what Windows Mobile/CE sees on a mobile device, starting
with it's not an x86 processor - an ARM processor in the case of the
demo. And Windows Mobile/CE will not run in conventional VMware
virtual machines (oh sure you can run a Windows CE or Windows Mobile
software simulator in a VM.... you can also poke your eyes out with a
pointed stick, and that's probalby more fun... and yes Windows CE can
run on x86, but that's not what we use for soaring software
applications).

The prototype VMware MVP (Mobile Virtulization Platfrom) software show
in the video demo is a different beast that needs to be embedded on
the phone, if your a big IT organization interested in using this
across corporate smart phones then contact VMware. It's very different
from other VMware products and not a product for mere mortals,
certainly not yet. It is unclear what device vendor support this has,
I've just not been following it in detail.

The answer is... do a native port with Android. Software running on
Windows Mobile and Windows CE badly needs to die, it just a crap
platform from the last century. Microsoft breaking backwards
compatibility with Windows Mobile 7 will help us all eventually move
off that platform, I expect Android to dominate. Current Apple devices
just don't have the right form factors and there are walled garden
issues with bluetooth and serial port interfacing, its doable stuff
but a bit of a pain. Currently there is a bit of a lack of really
interesting Android devices and many things are sort of waiting on the
Android Gingerbread release. I hope the open source and other soaring
software products are particularly targeting Gingerbread...and the
Android app market.

Darryl
(I was an early employee at VMware, no longer there).

Darryl Ramm
September 23rd 10, 03:47 AM
On Sep 22, 6:09*pm, "PCool" > wrote:
> We shall see. VMware's products are bullet proof, and their players are free
> of charge.
> Concerning hardware, the problem with tablets is that they will be large in
> screen.
> Over 5 inches it becomes a problem for most pilots, not to mention
> paragliding people.
>
> What is the time schedule for releasing the 6.0 by the way?
> So I can plan the release of my 2.0 (hehe).
>
> Paolo
>
> "Max Kellermann" > ha scritto nel . de...
>
> > PCool > wrote:
> >> There was a video of VMWARE running on an Android platform.
>
> > Found that video. *It's a hypervisor which can run Android and Windows
> > CE in parallel. *It's not technically "VMWare on Android", but rather
> > "Android on VMWare". *The demo is already 1,5 years old, and I'm not
> > holding my breath for the real product.
>
> > For this to support LK8000 (or older XCSoar versions), a user needs to
> > buy a Windows CE license. *And of course the VMWare license.
>
> > I guess buying a used Windows PDA is cheaper. *And faster.
>
> > XCSoar 6.0 will be able run on a fully free operating system, with no
> > additional cost, and no rendering overhead. *We will use blazingly
> > fast OpenGL rendering on Android.
>
> > Max

The VMware player products are free of charge but they are all
irrelevant to supporting Windows Mobile/CE on Android and you will
have to buy a separate guest OS license. Ever tried to buy an
installable Windows Mobile release on a CD-ROM?

It may be more useful for legacy Windows Mobile/CE application support
over time if a Wine type environment for Windows Mobile OS emulation
would get ported to Android (therefore not requiring a Windows Mobile/
CE software and license).

But the answer is do a native port to Android (Gingerbread please...).

Darryl

Michael Jaworski[_2_]
September 23rd 10, 05:04 PM
At 05:21 21 September 2010, Max Kellermann wrote:

>XCSoar will run on Android by next year. It already runs on desktop
>Linux (not well, but it runs). I'm working on it. Long way to go,
>but the winter's coming.
>
>Linux/Android will be the primary target operating system for ,
>because Windows Mobile 7 does not allow running XCSoar (or any other
>existing software). It is not compatible with prior versions.
>
>Max

Max,

How do you define 'not well'? Have you actually hand-ported it, or are
you using wine/winelib with the win32 version? Does it only work on x86?
Any showstopper bugs? Do you want testers? Where is the code - in a GIT
repo somewhere?

I ask this because I have a Nokia N900 in my pocket right now, and was
kinda wondering if it would compile/run on that. Specs are:

Debian-based 2.6.xx linux (Can run straight Debian/Ubuntu ARM
edition/Android too)
800mhz OMAP3/ArmCortexA8
800x480 *TRANSFLECTIVE* LCD (Readable in direct sunlight)
OpenGLES 1.0/1.1/2.0
256mb DDR2 ram
32GB Flash
GPS
serial ports
bluetooth
etc etc.

I have a bit experience with hacking linux on embedded devices,
especially trying to shoehorn Debian/Ubuntu onto anything i can get my
hands on, but passionately hate having to code in C/C++ if i can at all
avoid it. I have already been tempted to try a compile of the Win32
version of XCSoar with WINElib anyway, but if there is a genuine Linux
port underway, i would like to help in any (reasonable) way I can. The
same goes for Paulo & his LK8000 SW too.

Thanks,

Mike

Max Kellermann
September 23rd 10, 05:34 PM
Michael Jaworski > wrote:
> How do you define 'not well'? Have you actually hand-ported it, or are
> you using wine/winelib with the win32 version? Does it only work on x86?
> Any showstopper bugs? Do you want testers? Where is the code - in a GIT
> repo somewhere?

Hi Mike,

we have hand-ported it ("the right way"), by writing an OO abstraction
layer for GDI calls, and incrementally writing a port based on SDL /
SDL_gfx. There shall be another backend for OpenGL.

"Not well" because it's slow and flickers: no double buffering; child
windows are emulated by creating an internal SDL_Surface, and copying
these over and over. Too much overhead for any embedded device, and
SDL_gfx does not use hardware acceleration. The first goal was
reached: to make it run with a native Linux binary. Optimization
comes next.

You can get the most current sources from my git repository:

git clone git://git.snow-crash.org/xcsoar.git
http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/

Have fun hacking it! And remember to submit patches back to us.

Max

PCool
September 24th 10, 12:24 AM
"Darryl Ramm" > ha scritto nel messaggio
The answer is... do a native port with Android. Software running on
Windows Mobile and Windows CE badly needs to die, it just a crap
platform from the last century. [..]

Amen!

Google