PDA

View Full Version : Empty weight of Grob Astir CS

mike maskell
September 29th 10, 03:03 AM
I have just done a weight and balance on our Club's Grob Astir CS and
after computing the empty weight and C of G we find that the max pilot
weight is 210 pounds (no chute, no batteries). The empty weight is 626
pounds which seems quite high. The glider POH states that the empty
weight is 560 pounds. Could this be the shipped weight from the
factory minus instruments, radio etc?

Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?

Thanks

Mike

Grider Pirate
September 29th 10, 04:36 AM
On Sep 28, 7:03*pm, mike maskell > wrote:
> I have just done a weight and balance on our Club's Grob Astir CS and
> after computing the empty weight and C of G we find that the max pilot
> weight is 210 pounds (no chute, no batteries). The empty weight is 626
> pounds which seems quite high. * The glider POH states that the empty
> weight is 560 pounds. *Could this be the shipped weight from the
> factory minus instruments, radio etc?
>
> Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike

That seems about right. My Speed Astir II weighs 630 lbs, but the POH
says something like 550. I think Gary Boggs has one also, you might
want to try to contact him directly, and there's also a Grob
Sailplanes Yahoo group you can join (althought there's not much action
there!)

September 29th 10, 01:44 PM
On Sep 28, 8:03*pm, mike maskell > wrote:
>. The empty weight is 626
> pounds which seems quite high. * The glider POH states that the empty
> weight is 560 pounds. *Could this be the shipped weight from the
> factory minus instruments, radio etc?
>
> Does anyone else fly a CS and if so what do your numbers compare at?

Mike,

I owned an Astir CS and have done weight and balance on several
others. Your empty weight loks about right.
EW for two that I weighed: 631.5 lbs and 628.75 lbs. These weights are
fully equipped, batteries, oxygen and instruments, no parachute.
Weight wise it looks like your 102 is typical

Grob builds heavy gliders. I have never found a G-102 to be within the
empty weight chart in the POH.

Robert J. Mudd
Composite Aircraft Repair
Moriarty, NM USA