PDA

View Full Version : To Boldly Go

kd6veb
September 29th 10, 10:04 PM
Hi Gang
In the latest "Flying" magazine, October 2010 issue is an article
named "To Boldly Go" by Peter Garrison. This article is a perceptive
review and discussion of Dave Bigellow's accident in his DG400 over
the Big Island of Hawaii in January 2009 when Dave was attempting a
record high altitude flight in wave. Garrison has carefully reviewed
the NTSB report on the accident and adds some interesting speculations
as to what might have gone wrong. Most of us have assumed the Occam's
Razor (simplest) explanation of the accident was due to hypoxia.
Garrison's article does not deny this and the NTSC does not really fix
the cause of the accident.
Dave did fly with the oxygen on normal (not considered to be a
problem although he approached 40,000 feet) and was not wearing a
parachute. Otherwise the preparation for the flight appeared
reasonable. Dave's accident did affect my thoughts on high altitude
wave flying. Whereas in my younger days I did high altitude flying I
will not now consider altitudes above 28,000 feet solo. Above 28,000
feet - the limit at Minden - I would only consider going higher with a
copilot and a backup oxygen system.
I do recommend you reading this article especially if you are new to
the sport of soaring. If any of you would like me to scan the article
(pdf format) and send you a copy email me privately. I am posting this
communication on RAS, HGC and ASA Groups.
Dave

PS Before Dave had his accident I got to talk to him several times and
we had tentatively agreed to lend each other our gliders for vacations
- his DG400 in Hawaii - and my DG800B in Minden. It never happened.

smithcorp
October 1st 10, 12:49 PM
Got the article - thanks. Interesting stuff. I'm looking up "Mach
tuck"...

smith

Google