PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the group

Mark
September 30th 10, 01:40 PM
1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?

2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?

---
Mark

September 30th 10, 02:17 PM
On Sep 30, 7:40*am, Mark > wrote:
> 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?

No

> 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> * * purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?

When I owned the Sundowner while I planned 110 knots, it was normal to
be below 110 knots especially near the stratosphere :-) I used the
plane for my commute to and from work as well as pleasure trips.

Frank Stutzman[_3_]
September 30th 10, 05:09 PM
Mark > wrote:
> 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?

Yes, but fairly infrequently.

The strip is seasonal. It gets soggy and the grass doesn't get mowed
as frequently as it should. Plus with my plane I need to come in
fairly light. As there is a paved public airport 15 minutes
away, I am finding that my strip has limited use. The upside is that it
is owned with my neighbors and it costs very little to me.

> 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?

Depends. If I am truely going some distance and the winds are favorable,
I will often go very high and throttle back a bit. As such my IAS can be
low. Best lift/drag speed (hence best economy) for my plane is a bit
less than 110 KIAS.

Also depends upon what you mean for 'transportation purposes.' What else
do you do with a plane?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

george
September 30th 10, 08:38 PM
On Oct 1, 1:40*am, Mark > wrote:
> 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?

I used to fly on and off the ag strip on the farm next door.

> 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> * * purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?

No

Ted Sherman
September 30th 10, 09:33 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 05:40:07 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

> 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?
>
> 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?

> 3) Anyone here want to smoke my pole?
> ---
> Mark In Need

oooooooooooNO

Mark
September 30th 10, 09:35 PM
On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:09:41 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman wrote:

> Also depends upon what you mean for 'transportation purposes.' What else
> do you do with a plane?

Anything I want. Loop da loops, mile high club, scud run cows, pull
banners which say "Mark Is ****ing Fantastic".

Mark
September 30th 10, 11:03 PM
On Sep 30, 9:17*am, " > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 7:40*am, Mark > wrote:
>
> > 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?
>
> No
>
> > 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> > * * purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?
>
> When I owned the Sundowner while I planned 110 knots, it was normal to
> be below 110 knots *especially near the stratosphere :-) *I used the
> plane for my commute to and from work as well as pleasure trips.

Ok, thanks. A CFI once told me that even a C152 cuts
enough time and hassle off one's trip time that it may
be considered a regional (50 - 200miles) commuter
that could be preferable to driving.

Speed is great, but there's no need to be in a hurry
either if you don't have to.

---
Mark

Mark
September 30th 10, 11:15 PM
On Sep 30, 12:09*pm, Frank Stutzman > wrote:
> Mark > wrote:
> > 1) Anyone here using your own grass strip?
>
> Yes, but fairly infrequently.
>
> The strip is seasonal. It gets soggy and the grass doesn't get mowed
> as frequently as it should. *Plus with my plane I need to come in
> fairly light.

I suppose if one knew they were going to be using a grass
strip ahead of time, you could get the right plane to
match the mission.

*>As there is a paved public airport 15 minutes
> away, I am finding that my strip has limited use. *The upside is that it
> is owned with my neighbors and it costs very little to me.

Well, it would be nice to have a hangar connected to
your residence. Especially with it being rent free.

> > 2) Anyone here using a plane for transportation
> > * *purposes, yet rarely exceed 110 KIAS?
>
> Depends. *If I am truely going some distance and the winds are favorable,
> I will often go very high and throttle back a bit. *As such my IAS can be
> low. *Best lift/drag speed (hence best economy) for my plane is a bit
> less than 110 KIAS.

Sounds both reasonable and encouraging.

> Also depends upon what you mean for 'transportation purposes.' *What else
> do you do with a plane?

Well, I was being general. I suppose the word commuting
would've been more specific, as in, just get me straight there,
so I can get out and get in a rental car, as opposed to sight
seeing and flying for the sake of flying.

Thanks,
--
Mark

> --
> Frank Stutzman
> Bonanza N494B * * "Hula Girl"
> Boise, ID

September 30th 10, 11:24 PM
On Sep 30, 5:03*pm, Mark > wrote:

> Ok, thanks. A CFI once told me that even a C152 cuts
> enough time and hassle off one's trip time that it may
> be considered a regional (50 - 200miles) commuter
> that could be preferable to driving.

For me, anything less then 1 1/2 hour drive "door to door", it does
not pay to fly if you value time as part of the equation.

20 minute drive to the airport for me
20 minute preflight, get settled in the plane, taxi, runup to takeoff.
10 minutes after landing, taxi to ramp to putting the plane to bed at
destination

So you can see 50 minutes time is used up and you really haven't gone
anywhere and you haven't considered ground time for getting car at
destination and drive to destination

While it was cool to knock out 50 NM in 20 minutes, when compared to
driving, it took longer by air hence living by that statement, if you
have time to spare, go by air.

When I had a 175NM run, it paid to fly because in additional to time
saved. Less fuel cost round trip in the plane was less then then my
truck.

Frank Stutzman[_3_]
October 1st 10, 02:53 PM
Mark > wrote:

> I suppose if one knew they were going to be using a grass
> strip ahead of time, you could get the right plane to
> match the mission.

As I have the strip, I'm the angle I'm trying to work is to
get a second plane more suited for the strip. The family financial
officer is a little cool on this idea. Don't know why- makes perfect
sense to me ;-)

> Well, it would be nice to have a hangar connected to
> your residence. Especially with it being rent free.

Well, there are no hangars on my strip and it is unlikely that
there ever will be. The strip is for my (and the the various neighbors)
vacation homes. A hangar built in a feasible location would block
the view from the homes.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Mark
October 1st 10, 08:39 PM
On Oct 1, 9:53*am, Frank Stutzman > wrote:
> Mark > wrote:
> > I suppose if one knew they were going to be using a grass
> > strip ahead of time, you could get the right plane to
> > match the mission.
>
> As I have the strip, I'm the angle I'm trying to work is to
> get a second plane more suited for the strip. *The family financial
> officer is a little cool on this idea. *Don't know why- makes perfect
> sense to me ;-)

It would be better to get 2 more planes. With 3 planes
you could have a LD cruiser, a high performance STOL,
and a disposeable plane for fun. Now the family can have
peace of mind and versatility. (yeah right)

Here's an all-time favorite with tundra tires, and, it's
disposable too. This guy sinks his Highlander in the
lake, then goes and gets another one.

http://justaircraft.com/e107_plugins/image_gallery/image_gallery.php?page=image-detail&album=8&image=64

> > Well, it would be nice to have a hangar connected to
> > your residence. Especially with it being rent free.
>
> Well, there are no hangars on my strip and it is unlikely that
> there ever will be. *The strip is for my (and the the various neighbors)
> vacation homes. *A hangar built in a feasible location would block
> the view from the homes.

You can fold up the Highlander and put it in your garage.

---
Mark

> --
> Frank Stutzman