PDA

View Full Version : Flyers and Beeman's Gum

D.Hass
July 11th 03, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know why pilots always preferred Beeman's pepsin gum back
in the old days. I have seen it prominently referenced in The Rockeeer
and The Right Stufff movies.

I think it was to cover up alcohol breath or a superstition.

Bushy
July 12th 03, 01:05 PM
> I have seen it prominently referenced in The Rockeeer
> and The Right Stufff movies.

And didn't they pay the studio a pretty price to get all that prominent film
time!

Hope this helps,
Peter

John Kunkel
July 13th 03, 07:39 PM
"D.Hass" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anyone know why pilots always preferred Beeman's pepsin gum back
> in the old days. I have seen it prominently referenced in The Rockeeer
> and The Right Stufff movies.

Beeman's was originally marketed as a cure for heartburn, perhaps it was
preferred by aviators because of its stomach settling properties.

> I think it was to cover up alcohol breath or a superstition.

Clove gum was favored to cover up alcohol breath, they both date from the
same era.
john

JDupre5762
July 23rd 03, 11:48 PM
>Does anyone know why pilots always preferred Beeman's pepsin gum back
>in the old days. I have seen it prominently referenced in The Rockeeer
>and The Right Stufff movies.

I think that it was probably a case of the Rocketeer copying The Right Stuff.
Since so many people had seen TRS then showing the hero of The Rocketeer
chewing Beeman's gets the point across quickly that he is a hot stick. Growing
up in the 60's in New England I never saw Beeman's only Wrigley's and Juicy
Fruit and later all the newer kinds.

John Dupre'

Google