PDA

View Full Version : Question

Chris
July 21st 03, 05:25 AM
I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours I
was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight time
we do together. I realize it can't be dual being I'm not and
instructor....well just wondering thanks in advance for your response.

Larry Fransson
July 21st 03, 05:38 AM
In article >,
"Chris" > wrote:

> I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours I
> was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
> private pilot.

Anybody can take the controls regardless of their level of certification
or yours. The people you rent from (if you rent) or your insurance
company (if you don't) might have something to say about it, though.

> If so is there any possible way he could log this flight time
> we do together.

You can log anything you want. Whether or not it's worth anything is
another matter entirely.

For instance, I recently spent about three hours in a 767 simulator.
The guy running it was a maintenance instructor. I had my non-pilot
wife and a private pilot friend in the right seat at various times.
Could I log the time? Sure. Would it be worth anything to anyone?
Probably not.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!

July 21st 03, 01:34 PM
Bottom line is you can fly with a student as much as you want, but
YOU are the PIC. He can control the plane, and even practice any of the
student pilot stuff you feel comfortable being a "safety pilot" for. He
cannot log the time, but can still chock it up as a learning experience.
After all, it's not the 40 hours he needs to get his license, but the
appropriate level of competency that can sometimes take as few as 40
hours.

-Cory

Chris > wrote:
: I recently took a student pilot flying with me. He only has about 20 hours I
: was wondering if it's legal to let him take the controls being I'm only a
: private pilot. If so is there any possible way he could log this flight time
: we do together. I realize it can't be dual being I'm not and
: instructor....well just wondering thanks in advance for your response.

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *