PDA

View Full Version : Flight to Myrtle Beach

FryGuy
July 31st 03, 12:52 AM
What a day! Today I made my first cross country as a licensed private
pilot. I just took my checkride last Wednesday. My wife and I had been
planning on flying to Myrtle Beach since well before I received my
license. She had never been in a small plane and really doesn't like
flying anyway. She agreed to go up with me though. It wasn't that far
of a flight as we live in Wilmington, North Carolina. I put everything
together this morning and the forecast was for possible thunderstorms.
We had the same forecast yesterday but the day was completely clear. I
decided to go with the thought that if something did pop up in the
afternoon that we could just wait it out. There are 4 airports on the 62
mile route that I could divert to if there were a problem too.

So we loaded up the Cessna 172 and took off from Wilmington International
(KILM). I tried to brief my wife as well as I could before hand but I
remember the first time I felt the plane lift off the runway. She was
nervous to say the least. I tried to calm her down as best possible.
She said she was more afraid of the heights than the flying itself. I
don't think that she looked out the plane much on the flight at all. She
said she would be ok looking out but not down. She did point out one of
the miniature golf courses that we had played at in Myrtle one time when
we were down there though.

When we got to Myrtle Beach International (KMYR) I had a pretty good
landing. It wasn't my best ever but it was smooth. We parked at Myrtle
Beach Aviation and rented a Neon at $10/hour. Their courtesy car was
already out but $10/hour isn't too bad. We then went to the Olive Garden
for lunch.

A couple of hours later we returned to the airport and I took a look at
the weather computer. The sky in Myrtle was hazy but their weren't any
clouds in the area. The weather computer showed some thunderstorms in
Wilmington so we stayed for awhile. I felt the "get-there-itis" but we
held tight. My wife took a quick nap and I watched TV and played games
on my Palm Pilot. Finally, about an hour and a half later things opened
up in Wilmington.

We saddled up again and took off over the water from KMYR and headed up
the coast. It was very smooth but my wife was still pretty nervous.
This time we climbed to 3500. About half way we encountered some
scattered clouds below us but I decided to go over them since
Wilmington's ATIS was reporting no clouds below 12000. The landing
wasn't stellar but my wife said it wasn't bad I think she was just happy
to be on the ground. I was too as it was pretty hazy in Wilmington.

I just thought I would share my story with everyone. I was happy that I
made the right decisions with the weather. Its easy to make a go/no-go
decision for a local flight but much more planning needs to go into the
cross countries. We had a good lunch and even though it took longer than
expected, it was a good day. My wife says she will go up again. She is
going to try to get more and more used to it. I really hope that someday
she will enjoy it as much as me!

Jeff Frey
PP-ASEL 55.6 Hrs.

Guy Elden Jr.
July 31st 03, 04:46 AM
Great story! Since I'm thinking of flying into Myrtle Beach as well
sometime in the next few weeks, I was wondering which FBO you parked the
plane at, and what you thought of the service there? Did they charge a
tie-down fee?

--
Guy Elden Jr.

172pilot
July 31st 03, 01:20 PM
Excellent story. This kind of thing is what flying airplanes is all about!
I'm always amazed that so many "groundlings" out there in the world can hear
stories like this one and so many others, and still not understand why we
all love to fly so much.
Dave

Dennis O'Connor
July 31st 03, 02:01 PM
Ya did good, though I question taking a nervous wife as a passenger on your
first flight after your sign off... Had you gotten into a bit of weather
and bounced around some, or forced to make an emergency landing somewhere,
you could kiss your wife goodbye as far as ever flying with you again... I
suggest you do some more flights either solo or with other pilots as
passenger for a bit more seasoning before challenging the weather again with
the wife aboard...

Cheers ... Denny
"FryGuy" > wrote in message
3...
> What a day! Today I made my first cross country as a licensed private
> pilot.

FryGuy
July 31st 03, 03:11 PM
She wasn't my first flight after sign off. I had purposely waited until
she could sit in the front seat with me rather than having her fly in the
back with an instructor in the plane. I didn't question my ability to fly
the plane and we all know that situations you stated can happend to anyone
at anytime.

"Dennis O'Connor" > wrote in
:

> Ya did good, though I question taking a nervous wife as a passenger on
> your first flight after your sign off... Had you gotten into a bit of
> weather and bounced around some, or forced to make an emergency
> landing somewhere, you could kiss your wife goodbye as far as ever
> flying with you again... I suggest you do some more flights either
> solo or with other pilots as passenger for a bit more seasoning before
> challenging the weather again with the wife aboard...

Maule Driver
July 31st 03, 03:46 PM
Nice story. Flown into Myrtle and N. Myrtle from the Raleigh area. Makes
being a pilot very worthwhile.

Congrats on getting your wife to take a first trip. Nice job! Don't be
afraid to make the kind of decisions you made (i.e. waiting on the weather).
You'll find that your wife and any passenger will be comforted by your
willingness to make such decisions. You might be surprised by how much
they are comforted - even those passengers that are itchy to go anyway.

When I take 'passengers' (my spouse/co-pilot never really qualified), I slow
way down. I have different, more conservative standards for flight. I
don't fly nervous ones in the middle of the day, when it's too windy, bumpy,
or whatever. I get a bit bossy about where to stand, what to do, what not
to do. In the end, I'm safer and they are more comfortable if not
impressed.

Have Fun!

"FryGuy" > wrote in message
3...
> [...]
> the coast. It was very smooth but my wife was still pretty nervous.
> This time we climbed to 3500. About half way we encountered some
> scattered clouds below us but I decided to go over them since
> Wilmington's ATIS was reporting no clouds below 12000. The landing
> wasn't stellar but my wife said it wasn't bad I think she was just happy
> to be on the ground. I was too as it was pretty hazy in Wilmington.
>
> I just thought I would share my story with everyone. I was happy that I
> made the right decisions with the weather. Its easy to make a go/no-go
> decision for a local flight but much more planning needs to go into the
> cross countries. We had a good lunch and even though it took longer than
> expected, it was a good day. My wife says she will go up again. She is
> going to try to get more and more used to it. I really hope that someday

QDurham
July 31st 03, 07:23 PM
>You'll find that your wife and any passenger will be comforted by your
>willingness to make such decisions. You might be surprised by how much
>they are comforted - even those passengers that are itchy to go anyway.

Re inexperienced passengers. Here's a trick that has worked for me numerous
times in a Cessna 140. Noticing passenger is strangely quiet and (in spite of
your best efforst) turning bright green, trim up for good hands off flying,
take your hands off the wheel and tell passenger "OK, you fly" "Who? ME?? I
can't fly! Jeeze!" Passenger grabs wheel in a deathgrip -- almost instantly
the green goes and is replaced by lovely pink.

Works better than cleaning up afterwards.

Quent

August 1st 03, 02:37 PM
: morning hours from 10 to 1 aren't too bad. Fall is just around the corner
: though!

Yay! Tired of the 2100' field, 4500' DA, haze, and TSRA around
here!

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *