PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cherokee Six Fuel problem

EDR
August 15th 03, 01:43 AM
In article >, Robert
Borucki > wrote:

> I flew a Cherokee Six PA32-300 and finished up the flight and topped off all
> four tanks. Then noticed, an hour later that there was fuel streaming from
> the overflow port under the left main tank. The left outboard tank was 3/4
> drained, and all other tanks were full. The fuel selector was on the right
> main at the time. Any ideas what the problem is? I thought all tanks were
> separate, but it appears that the left outboard may have drained into the
> left main and overflowed......

Was it outside?
Was the sun shining?
Did you open the cap to vent the tank?
Tell the fueler not to fill it all the way to the top if the aircraft
is going to be parked outside in the sun after fueling.

Robert Borucki
August 15th 03, 03:03 PM
That's what I was wanting to hear. Sounds like a reasonable answer and area
to investigate.

thanks...

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 22:00:12 GMT, "Robert Borucki"
> > wrote:
>
> >I flew a Cherokee Six PA32-300 and finished up the flight and topped off
all
> >four tanks. Then noticed, an hour later that there was fuel streaming
from
> >the overflow port under the left main tank. The left outboard tank was
3/4
> >drained, and all other tanks were full. The fuel selector was on the
right
> >main at the time. Any ideas what the problem is? I thought all tanks
were
> >separate, but it appears that the left outboard may have drained into the
> >left main and overflowed......
>
> snip
>
> All four tanks and tied to a common central passage (that feeds the
> engine) with a spring-loaded ball valve in each line. The selector
> pokes one of the valves off it's seat to open it up.
>
> The head pressure in the outboard tanks can seep by a leaking ball and
> make it's way to a "lower" point. I would have thought that it would
> have filled up the selected tank first, but they will do strange
> things.
>
> Needs cleaned up/repaired. Not sure who does them anymore, have been
> out the Piper game for awhile...
>
> TC

Google