PDA

View Full Version : Re: Airstrip on Sanibel Island fl?

August 21st 03, 10:14 AM
>> I remember years ago(late 70s)there was a grass strip on Sanibel but I have
>> done a Google search with few results. Does anyone have any details on this
>> now closed strip?

It's a while since I flew in Florida and my old Miami sectional (1995)
does not list any airstrip.

Would it be worth contacting any of the nearby Private airfields and
ask if they can help?

I see there were 4 nearby private strips:

North Captiva

Also on Pine Island:
Eagle's Landing
Tranquility Bay
Woodstock

David

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot

docfl
August 21st 03, 09:27 PM
To the best of my knowledge the Snook cottages are still there I haven't
lived on the islands in years. I was trying to find when the strip closed.
docfl

--
Do not use for USE(SPAM) Remove extra m from comm to respond
"Mike Hammock" > wrote in message
> I landed there once... must have been about 1972. (I don't have that log
book

> handy.) Flew over from Boca Raton in a American Traveler with wife and
> a couple of friends. I remember that there were some fairly tall
Australian
> Pine
> trees at one end that you had to come in over close inorder to get down
and
> stopped. When we were ready to leave, on the walk-around I found some
> pine needles in the wheels... If you want additional info, I'll try to
dig out
> that
> logbook and perhaps get the airport identifier.
>
> By any chance do you remember the 'Snook Cottages' on Sanibel? They were
> some cousins (or some such relative) that I remmber visiting via the
> ferry when my family drove there in the early 60s.
>
> docfl wrote:
>
> > I remember years ago(late 70s)there was a grass strip on Sanibel but I
have
> > done a Google search with few results. Does anyone have any details on
this
> > now closed strip?
> > I remember going by it on the school bus many times(I lived on Captiva
at
> > the time) and vaguely remember there were shelters for small planes
across
> > the street by the Casabel resort.
> > Thanks
> > docfl
> >
> > --
> > Do not use for USE(SPAM) Remove extra m from comm to respond

Don Rieck
August 22nd 03, 10:01 PM
docfl > wrote:
> I remember years ago(late 70s)there was a grass strip on Sanibel but I have
> done a Google search with few results. Does anyone have any details on this
> now closed strip?
> I remember going by it on the school bus many times(I lived on Captiva at
> the time) and vaguely remember there were shelters for small planes across
> the street by the Casabel resort.
> Thanks
> docfl

I just stayed on Sanibel in August (yes it was hot). Our condo was just
down the road from a very small dirt road with an airport sign pointing
into the trees. I had no reason to go look, but it appeared as if there
was indeed a small strip there. You could not see into the VERY dense
jungle/tree line from the road at all.

We also took a boat tour and the guide pointed out a little strip on North
Captiva. I would suggest practicing your short field landings :) And the
houses you might ding on either side of that runway look a bit pricey :)

No clue how to find out anything about them except perhaps contacting the
Sanibel Chamber of Commerce.

Don Rieck

Google