PDA

View Full Version : six engines - what the heck was that?

Norm Soley
September 9th 03, 03:02 AM
I was overflown today by an aircraft that I can't figure out what it was.
I didn't get at look until I was due aft of it but I was suprised to see three
engine nacelles on each wing. Prop aircraft, possibly in military low-vis colours.
This was about 100km west of Ottawa, Canada so I'm assuming it was headed
for YOW or for the National Aviation Museum.

Any ideas?

mrhct
September 9th 03, 03:48 AM
Strange you mention this. My partner at work mentioned some time back that
he had seen a six engine military fly over Myrtle Beach. I said sure you
did. What he and you probably saw was a C-130. At the right distance and
angle it does appear to have six engines.
"Norm Soley" > wrote in message
> I was overflown today by an aircraft that I can't figure out what it was.
> I didn't get at look until I was due aft of it but I was suprised to see
three
> engine nacelles on each wing. Prop aircraft, possibly in military low-vis
colours.
> This was about 100km west of Ottawa, Canada so I'm assuming it was headed
> for YOW or for the National Aviation Museum.
>
> Any ideas?

Norm Soley
September 10th 03, 04:10 AM
"mrhct" > wrote in message news:<Oab7b.2145$pe.1963@lakeread06>...
> Strange you mention this. My partner at work mentioned some time back that
> he had seen a six engine military fly over Myrtle Beach. I said sure you
> did. What he and you probably saw was a C-130. At the right distance and
> angle it does appear to have six engines.

Hence my comment (in the original text not the topic) about six
nacelles rather than 6 engines.

Here's a shot taken from about the same angle but closer up than I
was, I see now that what I saw was 4 engines and two, I'm assuming,
fuel tanks. I've also seen pictures with yet another set of underwing
tanks outboard of the engines.

Norm Soley
September 10th 03, 04:21 AM
"mrhct" > wrote in message news:<Oab7b.2145$pe.1963@lakeread06>...
> Strange you mention this. My partner at work mentioned some time back that
> he had seen a six engine military fly over Myrtle Beach. I said sure you
> did. What he and you probably saw was a C-130. At the right distance and
> angle it does appear to have six engines.

Urk...here's the URL I meant to include in my prior reply

http://tinyurl.com/mtjp

mrhct
September 12th 03, 01:41 PM
"Norm Soley" > wrote in message
om...
> "mrhct" > wrote in message
> > Strange you mention this. My partner at work mentioned some time back
that
> > he had seen a six engine military fly over Myrtle Beach. I said sure you
> > did. What he and you probably saw was a C-130. At the right distance and
> > angle it does appear to have six engines.
>
> Hence my comment (in the original text not the topic) about six
> nacelles rather than 6 engines.
>
> Here's a shot taken from about the same angle but closer up than I
> was, I see now that what I saw was 4 engines and two, I'm assuming,
> fuel tanks. I've also seen pictures with yet another set of underwing
> tanks outboard of the engines.

130's have many flavors of wing add-ons. Some are in fact fuel tanks. Others
may have what appear to be tanks but are equipment for re-fueling drogues,
while others may be electronic equipment.

Google