PDA

View Full Version : DC-3 wings and fuselage twisted in a storm but landed safely.

Ron
October 9th 03, 09:11 PM
The following story is from: http://www.dc3history.org/chapters/chapter_10.htm

Fred Davies, a navigator on a Dakota, reported, "'Darkey,' a fellow Welshman, was a good pilot and an old
friend. One day he walked into the OPS tent with his crew. I shall never forget his face. It was ashen, and
when he tried to speak, he had an unfamiliar stammer.

"He had gotten into some cumulus nimbus (thunderclouds) and lost all control. He had turned over several
times, banging his head in the process. Finally he came out, fortunately the right way up, and staggered home.

"When I saw his Dak, I could scarcely believe my eyes. It was a complete write-off. The dihedral angle had
increased dramatically, the wings and the fuselage became twisted, and rivets had popped underneath.
Thereafter, 'Darkey' was the most cautious bad weather pilot in the squadron."

Is there something more to find on the internet about this story? I Googled but couldn't find anything.

Ron

Google