PDA

View Full Version : Does WiFi affect your choice of FBO?

October 15th 03, 06:28 PM
I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
that is nice to have.

If it affects your choice, is it enough to make you select one FBO
over another, or one airport over another, or even overlook a penny or
two difference in fuel prices?

If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
arguments would you make?

Thanks,

LA

ArtP
October 15th 03, 07:20 PM
On 15 Oct 2003 10:28:44 -0700, wrote:

>I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
>access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO.

I couldn't care less unless having it raised the price of the fuel.
Most FBOs already have terminals to access weather and I don't see a
need to check my email while getting gas.

Henry Bibb
October 15th 03, 11:04 PM
"ArtP" > wrote in message
> On 15 Oct 2003 10:28:44 -0700, wrote:
>
> >I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
> >access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO.
>
> I couldn't care less unless having it raised the price of the fuel.
> Most FBOs already have terminals to access weather and I don't see a
> need to check my email while getting gas.

Ditto.

HB

Kyler Laird
October 16th 03, 02:12 AM
writes:

>I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
>access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
>a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
>that is nice to have.

I'd be happy to pay a couple cents per gallon more for fuel (~$20) to
support an FBO providing good WiFi access on cross-country trips.

I already plan cross-country routes based on where I can get GPRS.

>If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
>arguments would you make?

He needs it anyway. Give the maintenance guys laptops so they don't
have to go back and forth when they're working on planes. Credit card
transactions and faxes can also go over IP, so you might as well get
decent IP anyway. A wireless access point is a tiny extra cost.

--kyler

Darrel Toepfer
October 16th 03, 03:23 AM
"Kyler Laird" > wrote:

> >I'm interested in knowing how important the availability of WiFi
> >access to the Internet is when pilots choose an FBO. Is it enough of
> >a benefit to really affect your choice, or is it just one more thing
> >that is nice to have.
>
> I'd be happy to pay a couple cents per gallon more for fuel (~$20) to
> support an FBO providing good WiFi access on cross-country trips.
>
> I already plan cross-country routes based on where I can get GPRS.
>
> >If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
> >arguments would you make?
>
> He needs it anyway. Give the maintenance guys laptops so they don't
> have to go back and forth when they're working on planes. Credit card
> transactions and faxes can also go over IP, so you might as well get
> decent IP anyway. A wireless access point is a tiny extra cost.

Just added it at 3R7, they are debating whether or not to allow free WWW
access. Installation was funded by a private concerns...

I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a free
WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
blocked...

Thomas Borchert
October 16th 03, 02:00 PM
> If you were trying to convince your favorite FBO to install WiFi, what
> arguments would you make?

it's dirt cheap if the FBO has net access anyway. So it's a no-brainer.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Javier Henderson
October 16th 03, 03:40 PM
"Darrel Toepfer" > writes:

> I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a free
> WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
> blocked...

You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?

This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss (tcp/22).

-jav

Darrel Toepfer
October 16th 03, 03:45 PM
"Javier Henderson" > wrote...
> "Darrel Toepfer" > writes:
> > I already provide signal on the entire runway length at 4R7, adding a
free
> > WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will
be
> > blocked...
>
> You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?
>
> This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
> geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
> we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss
(tcp/22).

Okay, so port 53/110 will be allowed too... <g>

But to send mail will require access to a web based mail system, which was
the original point all along...

Kyler Laird
October 16th 03, 07:22 PM
Javier Henderson > writes:

>> WWW hotspot at the FBO in the near future, everything but port 80 will be
>> blocked...

>You mean outbound connections to ports other than 80 will be blocked?

>This will break DNS (udp/53 for queries). And will also prevents us
>geeks from checking our mail (the world would be a better place if
>we all used character cell MUA's) via interactive logins over ss (tcp/22).

Time to get a little geekier. It's not difficult to work around the
restriction.

--kyler

Google