PDA

View Full Version : What kind of plane is this?

Roy Smith
October 28th 03, 02:00 AM
What type is the plane in the picture?

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

John
October 28th 03, 09:25 AM
Roy Smith > wrote:

>What type is the plane in the picture?
>
>http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Gonna be pretty tough to answer your question when you need a subscription
to the New York Times to see it.

-john

Dale
October 28th 03, 06:02 PM
In article >,
Roy Smith > wrote:

> What type is the plane in the picture?
>
> http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

Don Tuite
October 28th 03, 06:44 PM
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:02:53 -0900, Dale > wrote:

>In article >,
> Roy Smith > wrote:
>
>> What type is the plane in the picture?
>>
>> http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html
>
>Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
>Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

No. It has two round engines and it's dumping red fire retardant.

Don

Roy Smith
October 28th 03, 06:52 PM
In article >,
Dale > wrote:

> In article >,
> Roy Smith > wrote:
>
> > What type is the plane in the picture?
> >
> > http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html
>
> Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
> Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

I apologise to the various people who couldn't get to the image because
it requires subscription to the NY Times. The subscription is free, but
I can understand people not wanting to subscribe.

It is indeed a fire fighting tanker. I found a picture of the OV-10,
and this is definately not one of those.

The picture is from head-on, looking slightly up at the plane, so the
tail is hidden behind the fuselage. It is a twin engine, with
three-bladed props, but they don't look like turbines. There's a large
diameter (almost half the diameter of the prop blades) circular cowling
and I think I can make out cowl flaps open. Looks like radial engines.

In the picture, it looks like a mid-wing design, but that might just be
the odd camera angle. Could be low wing. Definately not high wing. It
looks vagely like a DC-3.

Ah, wait, here's the answer. A bit more googling led me to the
California Department of Forrestry (which explains the "CDF" painted on
the underside of the wing) web site, which led me to

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergencyResponse/Aviation/Aviation.asp

Looking at the pictures, it looks like this is an S-2A. Wow, in the
pics on the CDF web site

http://www.fire.ca.gov/FireEmergencyResponse/Aviation/pdf/S2A.pdf

is sure DOES look like a high wing. Strange how pictures from different
camera angles can be so misleading.

Jack Cunniff
October 28th 03, 07:35 PM
Roy Smith > writes:

>In article >,
> Dale > wrote:

>> In article >,
>> Roy Smith > wrote:
>>
>> > What type is the plane in the picture?
>> >
>> > http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html
>>
>> Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
>> Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.

>I apologise to the various people who couldn't get to the image because
>it requires subscription to the NY Times. The subscription is free, but
>I can understand people not wanting to subscribe.

A subscription to the online version is probably used only for tracking
purposes. I've had that subscription for years, and have never received
any spam from that organization.

-Jack

Brent
October 28th 03, 09:08 PM
Looks like it might be an S2-F Tracker.

Brent

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:44:21 GMT, Don Tuite
> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:02:53 -0900, Dale > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Roy Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> What type is the plane in the picture?
>>>
>>> http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html
>>
>>Is is a twin-engine, twin tail, turbine powered airplane used by the
>>Fire Fighters? If so it's an OV-10 Bronco.
>
>No. It has two round engines and it's dumping red fire retardant.
>
>Don

Steven P. McNicoll
October 28th 03, 09:16 PM
"Roy Smith" > wrote in message

> What type is the plane in the picture?
>
> http://nytimes.com/2003/10/27/national/27CND-FIRE.html

It's a Grumman S-2.

Steven P. McNicoll
October 28th 03, 09:23 PM
"Brent" > wrote in message

> Looks like it might be an S2-F Tracker.

The designation was S2F prior to October 1962, S-2 after.

Ziphius
October 29th 03, 12:03 AM
This site has more info and pictures about the tankers:

http://www.airtanker.com/

RCFlyr
October 29th 03, 06:23 PM
Ziphius wrote:

>This site has more info and pictures about the tankers:
>
>http://www.airtanker.com/

P-3 Orion by Lockheed.

RCFlyr sed that

Google