PDA

View Full Version : Re: Shadin flowmeter problems - anyone else sees this?

Steve Beaver
October 31st 03, 03:03 PM
Just a guess but EEPROM can be very slow indeed. Depending on the exact part
number, it may not even be possible to change a single location in the chip.
This means that you have to read the entire contents (or a large part) of
the chip, change the value you need to update and then write it all back
again. This is a real pain and can take several seconds to complete.

I would suggest you wait about a minute before turning off the device so
that it has time to go through this procedure.

Most programmer will display some thing like "Updating . . " while the
update is in progress and the "Done" when complete so that you know what is
going on.

Steve

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've had a Shadin Microflo for a year and a half, and it has what
> looks like a hardware or software bug: after setting a new FOB figure,
> waiting for it to save it, turning off power, turning power back on,
> it has lost the new FOB setting and has reverted to the original FOB
> setting which was there before I started to change it.
>
> There is a strong correlation between how long the unit has been ON
> (or OFF) since the FOB was set, and losing the data: the longer one
> waits, the less likely it is to get lost.
>
> I have now had FOUR of these changed (under warranty) and they all do
> it. Sometimes one has to set the FOB (at fill-up time) ten times or
> more before it "sticks" in the memory.
>
> Shadin always respond with a standard reply asking for serial number
> and other into and don't acknowledge any knowledge of this. They have
> however confirmed that there is no battery which might go flat, so I
> assume it is an EEPROM/FLASH, in which case (I have designed lots of
> electronic products) it would appear a pretty serious "feature".
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>

> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.
> Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.

Stevenatherton
October 31st 03, 05:10 PM
i would not hold out much help from shadin they have undoubtley the worst
customer service ever. i had a unit installed 2 years ago it has never worked
correctly and shadin are as much use as a ;chocolate fireguard ; i would
recomend buying a alternate makers unit and putting the shadin in the dustbin

Julian Scarfe
October 31st 03, 08:29 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message

> I've had a Shadin Microflo for a year and a half, and it has what
> looks like a hardware or software bug: after setting a new FOB figure,
> waiting for it to save it, turning off power, turning power back on,
> it has lost the new FOB setting and has reverted to the original FOB
> setting which was there before I started to change it.

Yes. I think I've seen that on a Digiflo. I put it down to finger trouble
but it happened twice.

Interestingly, after you program the Full setting (rarely used in practice),
the manual advises

"NOTE: Do not turn the power off to the computer for
approximately one minute. This will ensure that the unit has
enough time to store the proper figures into the program."

but it doesn't explicitly say the same for normal pre-flight ops.

Julian Scarfe

Google