PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Warns of al-Qaida Cargo Plane Plot

Phil Calvert
November 8th 03, 10:03 AM
Gov't Warns of al-Qaida Cargo Plane Plot

Nov 7, 11:14 PM (ET)
Copyright © 2003 Associated Press.

By LESLIE MILLER

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Homeland Security Department is warning
law-enforcement officers al-Qaida may be plotting to fly cargo planes
from another country into such crucial targets in the United States as
nuclear plants, bridges or dams, an agency official said Friday night.

Separately, the U.S. Embassy in Saudi Arabia said it would close its
diplomatic missions in that country Saturday for an undetermined
period because of credible information terrorists are about to carry
out attacks.

cont'd here:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20031108/D7UM6R680.html

Cow Belle
November 8th 03, 09:14 PM
Phil Calvert wrote:
> WASHINGTON (AP) - The Homeland Security Department is warning
> law-enforcement officers al-Qaida may be plotting to fly cargo planes
> from another country into such crucial targets in the United States as
> nuclear plants, bridges or dams, an agency official said Friday night.

Another Cry-Wolf attempt at distracting the american people from real issues
and making them affraid of terrorists so that they are more willing to grant
more powers to their regime.

Col
November 8th 03, 11:48 PM
Taking the above into account the US still hasn't increased their status or
am I wrong - still on yellow alert.

Col.

--
Remove the 'old' to reply to me.

Watashi no tsuma wa nihon-jin desu!
Watashi no tsuma wa kawaii desu!

Miguel Cruz
November 9th 03, 12:43 AM
Col > wrote:
> Taking the above into account the US still hasn't increased their status or
> am I wrong - still on yellow alert.

Alert inflation. Yellow is the highest they can go unless there's an
election coming up.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

Casey
November 9th 03, 12:49 AM
> Taking the above into account the US still hasn't increased their
> status or am I wrong - still on yellow alert.

That's because the alert derived from a single unverified source.
Nothing to lose sleep over.

Casey

Ardna
November 9th 03, 10:53 PM
There is nothing to lose sleep over anyway. We are no safer today than we
were 2 years ago. The government, using their colored alert system, like to
give the impression that there are doing something. Better to be seen doing
something other than to be seen doing nothing.

What is the point of releasing these warnings or alert changes publically ?
For example, imagine a terrorist is planning to do something nasty, then
suddenly every TV station in the country carrys the story of the alert
status being raised ( i.e. more cops etc watching bridges and power plants
etc ), that he is doing to do? Continue with his nasty plan or wait a week
of two under the alert status drops and try again?

I think the alert status should be just kept inside law enforcement, watch
the power plants etc and let the bad guy try and do his nasty business and
catch and/or kill him in the process, rather than just deter him from his
plan for one or two weeks.

Just my 2 cents.

"Casey" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> > Taking the above into account the US still hasn't increased their
> > status or am I wrong - still on yellow alert.
>
> That's because the alert derived from a single unverified source.
> Nothing to lose sleep over.
>

> Casey

Simon
November 9th 03, 11:35 PM
IMHO, the alert system is purely to keep us Americans on edge. That way we
are all reminded of the 9/11 tragedy, and it thus generates political
support where needed for the administration. We as Americans fall for the
fear factor. Just my opinion.

Stu Gotts
November 10th 03, 12:31 AM
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:35:08 GMT, "Simon" >
wrote:

>IMHO, the alert system is purely to keep us Americans on edge. That way we
>are all reminded of the 9/11 tragedy, and it thus generates political
>support where needed for the administration. We as Americans fall for the
>fear factor. Just my opinion.

And a good one, too!

Casey
November 10th 03, 03:36 AM
> What is the point of releasing these warnings or alert changes
> publically ?

Many people are unaware that the five-color alert system was
borrowed 100% from the military's DefCon (defense condition)
system of readiness. The system makes sense for the military, as
each level has definite meaning. To be only slight facetious, here
are examples:
- 5: guards at military bases are allowed to sleep on duty
- 4: guards are required to carry ammunition, but not to load it into
their weapon
- 3: guards are ordered to load ammunition into their weapons, but
not to point their weapons at people
- 2: guards are ordered to search all vehicles using their weapons
to stop vehicles, and can shoot if vehicles do not stop
- 1: guards are ordered to shoot everyone trying to enter the base

Actually #1 is not far from the truth. That said, the system makes
absolutely no sense to civilians and news media types. But since
dubya is a closet warrior, he loves that stuff.

Casey

Google