PDA

View Full Version : KLN94 Route / Waypoint upload

Wayne
November 9th 03, 09:55 AM
Is it possible to upload / download routes / waypoints from / to a
kln94. If so which programme can be used and must the unit be in
"programme mode" mode ? programme mode is Switch unit on while
pressing the "cursor" button.

Thanks

Anonymous
November 20th 03, 07:37 PM
Peter ) wrote:

<snip>
> The KLN94 does have a PC interface for upgrading the firmware, and
> some other stuff. But only Honeywell dealers are supposed to have
> access to this.

For the firmware, perhaps. However, the IFR database is able to be updated
via this port. Honeywell encourages owners to update the database using
this method, considering the fact that an annual downloadable DB
subscription is about 50% cheaper than having cards delivered every 26
days. They even provide the required cable to the GPS owner.

I used to update this way but now I burn my own SmartMedia cards at home,
then swap out the old with the new card in the aircraft. It is much
faster.

--
Peter

Anonymous
November 20th 03, 07:38 PM
(Anonymous <Nobody>) wrote:

> own SmartMedia cards

Excuse me. I meant to type Compact Flash cards.

--
Peter

Peter R.
November 25th 03, 04:40 AM
Peter wrote:

> I take it you bought one of the remaining compact flash writers from
> Sandisk? I bought one too, $30, but could never get the drivers to
> install.

Yes, I did. Running Windows XP Home, I didn't need to install the
drivers from included CD. XP already had them and simply plugging the
card reader into the USB port was enough for XP to install them from its
included driver collection.

--
Peter R.

Peter R.
November 25th 03, 03:20 PM
Saryon ) wrote:

> Would one of the card readers/writers for a compact flash camera work?
> They treat the cards like a hard drive too.

No, the card reader has to have special firmware installed by Honeywell.
Honeywell also claims that the compact flash card needs to be initialized
by them, which then makes the blank, store-bought card cost US $100!

When I confronted them on the cost of purchasing an extra card, they backed
down and gave it to me for free.

--
Peter

Matthew Waugh
November 27th 03, 10:54 AM
"Saryon" > wrote in message
> I thought the data files themselves were encrypted using the database
> key per unit to stop the download from being copied. Otherwise you
> should theoretically be able to take a card from aircraft A and move
> it to aircraft B and use it? I've never tried this but I thought it
> was not possible.

The database key is tied to the card and has nothing to do with the unit.
The unit just displays the database key of the card inserted because you
need to know it for the Internet download where the key is inserted into the
download.

You can download an update, burn it onto the card and then use that card in
any unit. Wingman customer support at Honeywell/King doesn't know this or
chooses to lie about it as some form of copy protection (although I don't
know what it buys them).

I know all this because we manage multiple KLN-94 units and we burn the
updates using a single GPS unit. There may be ways to beat the copy
protection using the separate card burner. There is no obvious way to beat
it using the GPS units to do the burn (not that we've tried, seriously, we
haven't, we're just happy it works as is and is half price).

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI

Matthew Waugh
November 28th 03, 09:52 PM
"Peter" > wrote in message

> Can you load the downloaded data onto *more than one* CF card?
>
> Obviously any such card will have had to come from Honeywell, with the
> special initialisation.

No (when using an actual GPS unit to burn the cards). I don't know if you
can if you own the card burner (SanDisk? unit).

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI