PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying your sectionals for a year.

Kyler Laird
November 12th 03, 01:08 AM
Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google .com&frame=off
I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster

At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.

I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
make it available to everyone.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
to find.

Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.

I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
everything remotely through XML-RPC.

Enjoy!

--kyler

David Megginson
November 12th 03, 01:26 AM
Kyler Laird > writes:

> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Very nice -- I hope you don't get burned up on the bandwidth because
of your generosity.

All the best,

David

Borislav Deianov
November 12th 03, 01:57 AM
In rec.aviation.student Kyler Laird > wrote:
> I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

*boggle* I'm not sure which is more shocking - that the FAA would sell
scanned sectionals at all or that somebody would put them up for free
download. THANK YOU!

If you are at all worried about the bandwidth, you might want to set
up BitTorrent on your server: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Regards,
Boris

Kyler Laird
November 12th 03, 03:08 AM
Borislav Deianov > writes:

>*boggle* I'm not sure which is more shocking - that the FAA would sell
>scanned sectionals at all or that somebody would put them up for free
>download.

Neither should be shocking. Both should be *expected*. We (taxpayers)
pay for this data collection, right?

>THANK YOU!

You're welcome. I'll be thrilled if people find it useful.

BTW, I decided to finally move the ATA-100 data and my old (ug, Perl)
interface over to the same server.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/
I find that data to be almost as interesting as the sectionals but I
think it's really going to get interesting when they're combined.

>If you are at all worried about the bandwidth, you might want to set
>up BitTorrent on your server: http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

Thank you for the suggestion. BitTorrent is great and, of course,
anyone is welcome to inject this data into it, but I hope some thought
will go into some sort of versioning so that updates will easily
propagate. It shouldn't be necessary though. I got this server with
the intent of serving up useful stuff like this without worrying about
bandwidth usage (as I do with my other colo).

<plug>
This one is hosted at FDC Servers.
http://www.fdcservers.net/dedicated.html
The bandwidth is "unmetered." If it does bog down, I'll try to upgrade
to a faster plan.
</plug>

Seriously...enjoy! No worries.

--kyler

David Megginson
November 12th 03, 10:18 PM
Kyler Laird > writes:

>>*boggle* I'm not sure which is more shocking - that the FAA would sell
>>scanned sectionals at all or that somebody would put them up for free
>>download.
>
> Neither should be shocking. Both should be *expected*. We (taxpayers)
> pay for this data collection, right?

We taxpayers in the rest of the world also pay for our governments'
geodata collection, but we see precious little of the result unless we
pay a lot of money. I know that we non-Americans don't always have
nice things to say about your country, but I think this is one area
where the U.S. is decades ahead of the rest of the world.

For example, my handrolled Canadian GPS airport and navaid database
comes from U.S. DAFIF data, since the U.S. publishes *far* more free
data for Canada than the Canadian government does. The new 3
arcsecond SRTM elevation data coming out is more than adequate for a
real-life, worldwide aviation terrain-avoidance system (or will be,
once it's all been checked), and the U.S. government is also releasing
it for free. I could go on and on, but I try not to gush online.

All the best,

David

Robert Perkins
November 13th 03, 07:19 AM
On 13 Nov 2003 06:55:23 +0100, Frog > wrote:

>From: Kyler Laird >
>
>>I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
>>make it available to everyone.
>
>Thank's, that's a hell of a nice gesture.

I'll say.

Hey, forgive me for being a low-timer noob rube, but how would one go
about using this data? Any examples I could use to start hacking away?

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card

Stu Gotts
November 13th 03, 12:47 PM
HA! Won't Boeing/Jepp love that. The industry needs the competition,
but we might hear about Kyler's brakes failing while he drives around
a slippery mountain curve one day!

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:08:26 GMT, Kyler Laird >
wrote:

>Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google .com&frame=off
>I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
> http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster
>
>At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
>many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.
>
>I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
>make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/
>
>I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
>data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
>now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
>to find.
>
>Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
>the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
>the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
>in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
>The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
>and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
>people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.
>
>I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
>allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
>everything remotely through XML-RPC.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>--kyler

Kyler Laird
November 13th 03, 04:08 PM
Frog > writes:

>I hate to be a pain in the butt, but would it be possible for you to
>split the files.

It would, and I'm going to be doing some weird things with them that
might help you, but it shouldn't be a problem even now.

>I've only got a lowly dial up connection and it would
>take me 4 1/2 days to download just the eastern set. If you could
>split it up a little, I could download it over roughly a week and a half
>of nights.

You can split them on your own. I'm running Apache so byterange
requests are well supported. You should be able to request any portion
of the files.

If you don't know what that means...find an HTTP client that supports
"resuming downloads", "continuing downloads" or "regetting".

BTW, I've had bandwidth problems. I noticed I was only serving about
1Mbps last night so I filed a report. This morning I was up to 2.5Mbps
but now I'm down around 1.5Mbps. I hope to get it up to at least 5Mbps.

--kyler

Kyler Laird
November 13th 03, 04:08 PM
Robert Perkins > writes:

>Hey, forgive me for being a low-timer noob rube, but how would one go
>about using this data? Any examples I could use to start hacking away?

TIFF viewers are widely available so if you just want to grab an image
and view/print it you should be all set.

If you want to go back and forth between pixels and locations (latitude
and longitude), you'll need to exploit these images' GeoTIFF info.
http://remotesensing.org/geotiff/geotiff.html

I'm using GDAL
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/
from Python to do this. I'll be happy to share code, but I'm still
trying to figure out a lot of it.

If you're not into programming that much, wait for me to get some other
tools available. Feel free to make requests. I'm thinking that I might
start posting about this in rec.aviation.misc with subjects beginning
"aviationtoolbox: " so that others can easily track/skip the threads.

--kyler

Kyler Laird
November 13th 03, 04:08 PM
Stu Gotts > writes:

>HA! Won't Boeing/Jepp love that. The industry needs the competition,
>but we might hear about Kyler's brakes failing while he drives around
>a slippery mountain curve one day!

Another good reason for me to stay in Indiana...

--kyler

Toks Desalu
November 13th 03, 11:07 PM
Nice of you.

Unless you are willing to provide it to us free for years to come, here is
my thought:

Get a group of people and have have share the cost of one subscription.
Burn copied CDs and mail them all. This could save individuals' cost as low
as 5 bucks instead of 700 bucks a year.

Toks

Al Gerharter
November 14th 03, 05:31 PM
Thank You Sir. Imagine, up to date safety information for free. What a
concept. If you work out something for next year, I'll pony up my share.
Al Gerharter

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Stu Gotts > writes:
>
> >HA! Won't Boeing/Jepp love that. The industry needs the competition,
> >but we might hear about Kyler's brakes failing while he drives around
> >a slippery mountain curve one day!
>
> Another good reason for me to stay in Indiana...
>
> --kyler

John
November 14th 03, 06:31 PM
Martin Hotze > wrote:

>I'd suggest to split up the zip archive. It might be that you won't get the full
>2 gigs at a time and have to reconnect (or use gozilla or something similar).
>having 10 or so parts might help ...

I like the zip structure the way it is, but it might be nice to have them
split up, too. That way, if you just want one sectional, you don't have to
download the whole batch.

-john

Larry Fransson
November 14th 03, 08:31 PM
On 2003-11-14 10:31:19 -0800, John > said

> I like the zip structure the way it is, but it might be nice to have the
> split up, too. That way, if you just want one sectional, you don't have t
> download the whole batch

And as if by magic, your wish was granted before you even asked

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/current

Matthew F. G.
November 14th 03, 09:03 PM
Now, if only we could get the vector data. That could make the files a
lot smaller and make it easier to write software to process the data.
You could do things like display only airports with long runways or only
private airports, or have it not display Victor airways or MOAs --
that'd make certain aspects of it easier to read.

Matthew F. G.

Kyler Laird wrote:
> Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google .com&frame=off
> I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
> http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster

Al Gerharter
November 14th 03, 11:53 PM
Go to the "Current" directory, and download individual sectionals. Al

"John" > wrote in message
> Martin Hotze > wrote:
>
> >I'd suggest to split up the zip archive. It might be that you won't get
the full
> >2 gigs at a time and have to reconnect (or use gozilla or something
similar).
> >having 10 or so parts might help ...
>
> I like the zip structure the way it is, but it might be nice to have them
> split up, too. That way, if you just want one sectional, you don't have to
> download the whole batch.
>
> -john

Kyler Laird
November 15th 03, 02:09 AM
"Matthew F. G." > writes:

>Now, if only we could get the vector data. That could make the files a
>lot smaller and make it easier to write software to process the data.
>You could do things like display only airports with long runways or only
>private airports, or have it not display Victor airways or MOAs --
>that'd make certain aspects of it easier to read.

Roll your own.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/ATA-100/

--kyler

Robert Perkins
November 15th 03, 04:10 AM
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:19:32 +0100, Martin Hotze
> wrote:

>Kyler Laird > wrote:
>
>> TIFF viewers are widely available so if you just want to grab an image
>> and view/print it you should be all set.
>
>I highly recommend http://www.irfanview.com/
>it is a free viewer with many many options.

Thanks very much, both for the chart TIFF's, Kyler, and the software
tip, Martin.

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to
educate themselves.

-- Orson Scott Card

markm
November 15th 03, 09:02 AM
That's really cool Kyler!

Did you ask about reproduction and distribution rights?

Just wondering what the other companies like Maptech think about this. Last
I talked to them they were scanning the sectionals but the quality was not
as good as these, course these are larger.

mark

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google .com&frame=off
> I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster

> At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
> many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.
>
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/
>
> I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
> data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
> now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
> to find.
>
> Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
> the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
> the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
> in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
> The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
> and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
> people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.
>
> I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
> allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
> everything remotely through XML-RPC.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --kyler

Kyler Laird
November 15th 03, 03:09 PM
"markm" > writes:

>That's really cool Kyler!

I'm happy to hear you find it useful. There's a lot more data to come.

>Did you ask about reproduction and distribution rights?

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/current/Chicago%2067%20South.htm

Acknowledgement of the Federal Aviation Administration would be
appreciated in products derived from these data. When product
developers or other customers acknowledge the Federal Aviation
Administration as the source of the data, the FAA seal or
initials cannot be used to imply that a product is endorsed,
approved, or authorized by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Does everyone agree that I've acknowledged the FAA as the source of the
data without implying that they've endorsed, approved or authorized my
distribution?

I assume that since this data collection is taxpayer-funded, the FAA
would like to see it utilized by taxpayers. Their cost of distribution
is about $600/year/customer. I can understand that; they have a lot of
overhead in order to make this all official and charge people for it.
I'm providing quite a different, _very_ unofficial product with
dramatically lower overhead - in large part because I'm willing to eat
the cost of it instead of maintaining an accounting infrastructure.

My hope is that there are people at the FAA/NACO who are thrilled to see
this data widely and freely distributed so that more people can take
advantage of it. I don't know why anyone would object.

>Just wondering what the other companies like Maptech think about this. Last
>I talked to them they were scanning the sectionals but the quality was not
>as good as these,

They're welcome to use these images. While I'm more interested in Free
projects and individuals using this data, I don't have any qualms with
others downloading the images from me if they do something beneficial
with them.

>course these are larger.

There are lots of options for making them smaller. We're all free to
experiment now.

BTW, I was quite surprised at how many people wanted this data. I've had
about 415 machines check out the data, with over half getting at least one
TIFF, and a third getting a zipped collection. I've been pushing well
over 5Mbps (my limit) continuously.

Today the demand really dropped off. There's a dialup user getting a few
of the sectionals and someone in Houston just started downloading the
entire collection. That's a lot different from having several high-speed
users download everything.

I just looked into upgrading my bandwidth plan, but I don't think it'll be
necessary. I'm only pushing 3Mbps right now. I think everyone is almost
satisfied. I'll try to keep the update process efficient so that we don't
have to go through this big push again.

--kyler

David Whitford
November 15th 03, 03:41 PM
This is AWESOME!
I love this! Thank you Kyler!

I have a large format printer at my office, Color too! this will be great
for Cross Countries!
thanks you again.

David

"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm
=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google.com&frame=off
> I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_
Raster

> At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
> many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.
>
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/
>
> I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
> data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
> now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
> to find.
>
> Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
> the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
> the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
> in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
> The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
> and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
> people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.
>
> I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
> allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
> everything remotely through XML-RPC.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --kyler

David Whitford
November 16th 03, 03:20 PM
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Hi Kyler, can you tell me the difference in the file in your directories?

Parent Directory -
20031030-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
20031030-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
20031030/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
current-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
current-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
current/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
notes.txt 14-Nov-2003 17:39 655
sectional_regions.png 13-Nov-2003 16:36 858K

should we be downloading the current east and west or the 20031030-east and
west files??

Just curious!
Thanks again for doing this!

David

Kyler Laird
November 17th 03, 02:08 AM
"David Whitford" > writes:

>> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

>Hi Kyler, can you tell me the difference in the file in your directories?

>Parent Directory -
> 20031030-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
> 20031030-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
> 20031030/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
> current-East.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:39 1.5G
> current-West.zip 13-Nov-2003 02:41 1.2G
> current/ 13-Nov-2003 02:05 -
> notes.txt 14-Nov-2003 17:39 655
> sectional_regions.png 13-Nov-2003 16:36 858K

There is no difference between 20031030-* and current-*
right now. The "current" stuff is just a symlink to the
current issue.

I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
but then I realized that since new issues come out every
28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
rid of data.)

Things'll change as I figure out all of this. I hope to
get it together after the next issue arrives.

--kyler

David Whitford
November 17th 03, 02:14 AM
Kyler,

It is incredibly awesome that you are doing this. I know I APPRECIATE it !

Thanks again!

David

Sven
November 17th 03, 02:19 AM
"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> There is no difference between 20031030-* and current-*
> right now. The "current" stuff is just a symlink to the
> current issue.
>
> I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
> but then I realized that since new issues come out every
> 28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
> are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
> more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
> issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
> rid of data.)

Just curious why you 'need' to save old data. Recycle those ones and zeros
for some other use instead of outdated charts.

Sven
November 17th 03, 03:17 AM
"Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

Thanks Kyler!

Are the charts available on the DVD's only the sectionals or are TAC and WAC
(charts) available too? It would be nice if the Naco/FAA would supply all
available charts and publications in digital/downloadable form.

R. Hubbell
November 17th 03, 04:08 AM
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:08:26 GMT
Kyler Laird > wrote:

> Not long ago, in rec.aviation.student,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=4b862b852fe3a472&seekm=e1449182.0310211155.6488628%40posting.google .com&frame=off
> I learned that the FAA is now selling scanned sectional chart DVDs.
> http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/digital/Sectional_Raster
>
> At over $300/year for each of the East and West sets, it sounded like
> many potential users wouldn't get to touch them. That would be a shame.
>
> I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> make it available to everyone.
> http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. How will people use these?
Maintain them in digital format and view on a laptop in the plane? Print
them as needed?

Has anyone printed a hard copy? How and where and how much?

R. Hubbell

> I'm hoping to provide a bunch of tools to manipulate these (and other)
> data sets, but that'll take awhile so I'm offering the raw data for
> now. I'll probably move it around later, but I'll make sure it's easy
> to find.
>
> Note that the East and West data sets only take 2.7GB, so even with
> the Alaska set, a single DVD has plenty of space for all of this (and
> the ATA-100 data and an operating system...). Is anyone interested
> in DVDs like that? I'm thinking that I'll donate these DVDs to Purdue.
> The Computer Society there makes copies of various CDs as a fund raiser
> and I'd try to get them to start making DVDs of these data sets if
> people would pay enough to make it worthwhile.
>
> I'll try to get some tools going soon. I'll also be configuring to
> allow other people to write their own tools on my server and access
> everything remotely through XML-RPC.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --kyler

Filip Zawadiak
November 17th 03, 11:07 AM
"Sven" > wrote in message news:<U4Xtb.216797$HS4.1890863@attbi_s01>...
> "Kyler Laird" > wrote in message
> > I've wanted the data for a long time too, so I decided to get it and
> > make it available to everyone.
> > http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/
>
> Thanks Kyler!
>
> Are the charts available on the DVD's only the sectionals or are TAC and WAC
> (charts) available too? It would be nice if the Naco/FAA would supply all
> available charts and publications in digital/downloadable form.

Hmm. I just wonder, why they say these are SCANNED charts? They are
not prepared in digital form before printing?

Just wondering...
--
Filip Zawadiak http://vyx.net
PP-ASEL

Ekim
November 17th 03, 12:50 PM
Kyler, you rock!!! This is awsome. Thanks a million!

Now, who wants to buy my fuel for a year? ;-)

Ekim

Kyler Laird
November 17th 03, 09:08 PM
"Sven" > writes:

>> I was thinking that each issue would be completely new,
>> but then I realized that since new issues come out every
>> 28 days there are probably going to be a lot of files that
>> are the same from one issue to another. I'm hoping to
>> more efficiently handle this so that I can keep more old
>> issues around. (That might be silly, but I hate to get
>> rid of data.)

>Just curious why you 'need' to save old data.

I don't "need" to save it. I thought there might be some use for it
though.

I'd like to try, for example, doing diffs of sectionals. That way
we can quickly spot changes. I'd use something like that for my area.
It's easy to become complacent about "home".

I've seen others ask for historic sectionals. I wouldn't mind storing
one of each per year just for research purposes.

--kyler

Kyler Laird
November 17th 03, 09:08 PM
"Sven" > writes:

>Thanks Kyler!

You're welcome.

>Are the charts available on the DVD's only the sectionals or are TAC and WAC
>(charts) available too?

TACs are there.
http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA_sectionals/current/Terminal-Area-Charts/

I'd like WACs too. We use the Howie Keefe VFR atlas a lot.

>It would be nice if the Naco/FAA would supply all
>available charts and publications in digital/downloadable form.

Indeed.

--kyler

Kyler Laird
November 17th 03, 09:18 PM
(Filip Zawadiak) writes:

>Hmm. I just wonder, why they say these are SCANNED charts? They are
>not prepared in digital form before printing?

That's my understanding. Amazing, isn't it?

I try to imagine the processes that go into maintaining and printing
these charts. I'm in awe.

Note that the scanned sectionals are guaranteed to have under two
pixels RMS error.

--kyler

TeleTechnician
November 18th 03, 02:09 AM
Kyler:

Thank you!

Tim Hogard
November 20th 03, 03:43 AM
Filip Zawadiak ) wrote:
: Hmm. I just wonder, why they say these are SCANNED charts? They are
: not prepared in digital form before printing?
That makes too much sense.

Anyone have any idea how the real charts are made? I'm guessing
they use some mapping/GIS program thats been around for ages (I'm
guessing grass or one of its offspring).

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com

Matthew F. G.
November 20th 03, 05:23 AM
If you were to print these raster files out at the same DPI that the
normal sectionals that we use are at, would the physical size be the
same, or bigger (or smaller)?

Matthew F. G.

Google