PDA

View Full Version : AVIATIONTOOLBOX: ConUS sectionals in under 2GB

Kyler Laird
December 5th 03, 12:20 PM
I converted all of the sectional map chunks
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/mosaic
from 24-bit to 8-bit (palette) color. Putting them all into a
single zip file, they compressed to 1.9GB (2013432788 bytes).
http://aviationtoolbox.org/munge/chunked.zip
(To get a single uncompressed 8-bit color chunk, select one from
the mosaic and then change the end of the URL from
"chunk_H_V.jpg" to "chunk_H_V_8bit.tif".)

That's exciting to me because 2GB CompactFlash cards are readily
available. There should be no problem fitting the chunked
sectional images, airport data, and probably the obstruction
database (which I haven't yet gotten) on a single CF card. For
awhile I thought I might need to resort to using spinning memory.

(Note that the original images from the FAA are 8-bit color. I
converted them to 24-bit in order to more easily get better
images when rotating and merging them. I also added a mask band
which accounts for a quarter of the image size.)

--kyler

Google