PDA

View Full Version : Mooney busts NY airspace

Roy Smith
December 29th 03, 09:30 PM
Wonderful front-page story in (of all places) today's New York Post
about a guy in a Mooney who sounds like he busted the NY Class B with
style and ended up with an armed escort home.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/14692.htm

rip
December 29th 03, 11:09 PM
Honestly, this one is beyond me. Sure, I've been lost, confused, and
disoriented during my flying career (some may say I still am). But how
anyone can confuse the Hudson and East River is...inconceivable. I mean,
the entire island of Manhattan is a friggin checkpoint, fer cryin' out
loud! This joker needs some serious review time.

Rip

Roy Smith wrote:
> Wonderful front-page story in (of all places) today's New York Post
> about a guy in a Mooney who sounds like he busted the NY Class B with
> style and ended up with an armed escort home.
>
> http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/14692.htm

CFLav8r
December 30th 03, 05:21 PM
What I can't figure out is that the article states
"Langone said that once he was over the East River,
he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."
Isn't that more like "BUSTED Bravo airspace"?
And after busting bravo airspace, why would you go sightseeing?

David (KORL)

Roy Smith
December 30th 03, 05:27 PM
In article >,
"CFLav8r" > wrote:

> What I can't figure out is that the article states
> "Langone said that once he was over the East River,
> he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."

What I'm still trying to figure out is what "received a radio call"
means. Radio contact is generally initiated by the pilot. If he was
lost, what frequency was he on, and whatever it was, how did ATC know
what it was so they could call him?

CFLav8r
December 30th 03, 05:50 PM
> > What I can't figure out is that the article states
> > "Langone said that once he was over the East River,
> > he received a radio call telling him he'd entered La Guardia airspace."
>
> What I'm still trying to figure out is what "received a radio call"
> means. Radio contact is generally initiated by the pilot. If he was
> lost, what frequency was he on, and whatever it was, how did ATC know
> what it was so they could call him?

I guess while he was at it, he should have flown south to D.C. and buzzed
the Washington monument.

Ron Natalie
December 30th 03, 06:02 PM
"CFLav8r" > wrote in message om...

> I guess while he was at it, he should have flown south to D.C. and buzzed
> the Washington monument.

The monument is in a charted flight restricted zone. The Statue isn't (and it
is not illegal to fly near it).

As for "received radio call" it was probably someone yelling at him on the CTAF.

Micbloo
December 31st 03, 01:35 AM
> The Statue isn't (and it
>is not illegal to fly near it).

No but I believe you must be in contact with EWR (Newark) before you fly
around it.
So that's another airspace he busted into.
And I wonder what he thought of the NYP PD ships that buzzed him?

Ron Natalie
December 31st 03, 02:33 AM
"Micbloo" > wrote in message ...
> > The Statue isn't (and it
> >is not illegal to fly near it).
>
> No but I believe you must be in contact with EWR (Newark) before you fly
> around it

Nope. As long as you stay below 1100 and don't violate 91.119 you're fine.

CASK829
December 31st 03, 07:33 PM
Sounds like the Mooney spike was firmly engaged. For those of you who don't
know about the Mooney spike let me tell you. When a pilot sits down and closed
the door in a Mooney, a spike comes out of the wall and hits the pilot right
in the head.

Micbloo
January 2nd 04, 10:23 PM
>Nope. As long as you stay below 1100 and don't violate 91.119 you're fine.

Thanks

Peter R.
January 4th 04, 04:22 AM
CASK829 wrote:

> Sounds like the Mooney spike was firmly engaged. For those of you who don't
> know about the Mooney spike let me tell you. When a pilot sits down and closed
> the door in a Mooney, a spike comes out of the wall and hits the pilot right
> in the head.

For those of use relatively new to flying, could you explain what this
means?

--
Peter

Google