PDA

View Full Version : mysterious helipad location (Dallas, TX)

Kyler Laird
February 19th 04, 04:11 AM
Anyone want to take a stab at explaining where the Parkland Health
and Hospital System Heliport is? Here's the entry for Parkland's
heliport, TE43.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/TE43
The location given
http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cgi?lat=32.8110000&long=-95.8388333&scale=10&theme=Image&width=3&height=2&dot=Yes
is a field (not an airfield, just a field)
http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cgi?lat=32.8110000&long=-95.8388333&scale=11&theme=Image&width=3&height=2&dot=Yes
51 nm due east of the hospital.
https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/route_map?from_lon=-95.838833&scale=50&to_lat=32.809851&from_lat=32.811000&to_lon=-96.849169

I have a hard time believing that field is the location of two
helipads with one marked "ROOFTOP". Also, the remarks list towers
SE and W of the pads but those are the directions where the towers
are *furthest* from the location given.
https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/map_explorer?image=402963%2C-497754%2C50&scale=100&draw=line%2C444359.681615%2C-564496.235661%2C349791.271586%2C-568740.767995%2C3706&selected.x=326&selected.y=521
And it's continuously attended...yeah, right.

Is it common for helipad locations to be so wrong? Have the
locations of Texan hospital helipads been deliberately scrambled
in the name of "national security"? Conspiracy theorists, unite!

--kyler

Craig
February 19th 04, 09:21 PM
Kyler Laird > wrote in message >...
> Anyone want to take a stab at explaining where the Parkland Health
> and Hospital System Heliport is? Here's the entry for Parkland's
> heliport, TE43.

I've noticed that AirNav has many location errors in their little
maps. The field that a friend operates out of used to be shown to be
about 7 miles away from it's actual location. Don't know if it's ever
been corrected.

As to Parkland, they have at least two heilpads in the medical complex
itself that I know of and there are several others close by at other
hospitals in the area.

Craig C.

Kyler Laird
February 20th 04, 02:12 AM
(Craig) writes:

>> Anyone want to take a stab at explaining where the Parkland Health
>> and Hospital System Heliport is? Here's the entry for Parkland's
>> heliport, TE43.

>I've noticed that AirNav has many location errors in their little
>maps.

This has nothing to do with AirNav.

The data is from the FAA.

>The field that a friend operates out of used to be shown to be
>about 7 miles away from it's actual location. Don't know if it's ever
>been corrected.

Has anyone contacted the FAA about it? I'd like to know how it's
processed.

--kyler

R.Hubbell
February 20th 04, 03:58 AM
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 04:11:55 GMT Kyler Laird > wrote:

> Anyone want to take a stab at explaining where the Parkland Health
> and Hospital System Heliport is? Here's the entry for Parkland's
> heliport, TE43.
> http://www.airnav.com/airport/TE43
> The location given
> http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cgi?lat=32.8110000&long=-95.8388333&scale=10&theme=Image&width=3&height=2&dot=Yes
> is a field (not an airfield, just a field)
> http://www.acme.com/mapper/mapper.cgi?lat=32.8110000&long=-95.8388333&scale=11&theme=Image&width=3&height=2&dot=Yes
> 51 nm due east of the hospital.
> https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/route_map?from_lon=-95.838833&scale=50&to_lat=32.809851&from_lat=32.811000&to_lon=-96.849169
>
> I have a hard time believing that field is the location of two
> helipads with one marked "ROOFTOP". Also, the remarks list towers
> SE and W of the pads but those are the directions where the towers
> are *furthest* from the location given.
> https://aviationtoolbox.org/members/kyler/tools/map_explorer?image=402963%2C-497754%2C50&scale=100&draw=line%2C444359.681615%2C-564496.235661%2C349791.271586%2C-568740.767995%2C3706&selected.x=326&selected.y=521
> And it's continuously attended...yeah, right.
>
> Is it common for helipad locations to be so wrong? Have the
> locations of Texan hospital helipads been deliberately scrambled
> in the name of "national security"? Conspiracy theorists, unite!

This quote might apply here:
"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"
Robert Heinlein

It seems hard to believe that it could be that far off.

And you are talking about Texas so who knows. It's not quite like
some other places.

R. Hubbell

> --kyler

R.Hubbell
February 20th 04, 04:00 AM
On 19 Feb 2004 13:21:17 -0800 (Craig) wrote:

> Kyler Laird > wrote in message >...
> > Anyone want to take a stab at explaining where the Parkland Health
> > and Hospital System Heliport is? Here's the entry for Parkland's
> > heliport, TE43.
>
> I've noticed that AirNav has many location errors in their little
> maps. The field that a friend operates out of used to be shown to be
> about 7 miles away from it's actual location. Don't know if it's ever
> been corrected.

Does airnav have it wrong or is it wrong as depicted on the chart?

If the chart's wrong contact FAA.
Ditto for airnav I suppose.

R. Hubbell

> As to Parkland, they have at least two heilpads in the medical complex
> itself that I know of and there are several others close by at other
> hospitals in the area.
>
> Craig C.

R.Hubbell
February 20th 04, 03:57 PM
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:14:09 GMT Larry Fransson > wrote:

> In article <20040219195828.645a1f40@fstop>,
> "R.Hubbell" > wrote:
>
> > "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"
> > Robert Heinlein
>
> I actually read something similar attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte:
> "Never attribute to malice what may be adequately explained by
> incompetence."

Sure, why not and probably someone before him. So there's evidence that intelligence
doesn't really provide survival value. :)

R. Hubbell

> --
> Larry Fransson
> E-mail address changes regularly to thwart spam

Google