PDA

View Full Version : Scanner

Greg
March 4th 04, 05:06 PM
I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
to purchase said scanner?

Thanks,
Greg

CVBreard
March 4th 04, 11:39 PM
>I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
>couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
>planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
>to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
>inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
>to purchase said scanner?

I have a Radio Shack scanner (not a cheapie) which was about $200.

The year we went to Oshkosh, one of the tent vendors was offering several such
scanners, seems like the cheapest was about $35, which may have been more than
it was worth (I believe it hissed all the time - no squelch)...plus at least
one additional more expensive scanner.

Watch the Radio Shack ads.

I've lost track, but do Uniden and others offer scanners available through
WalMart and places like that?

"A profound statement of the obvious...": make sure it picks up the aviation
band - not all do.

Also watch the 'nickel shopper' classified ad papers- every now and then
someone has one they just want to convert into cash, to buy groceries, no
doubt. And it probably isn't stolen...

If I were you, I'd just buy a new one at Radio Shack...after all, you can
afford to go to Oshkosh...

Stu Gotts
March 5th 04, 12:57 AM
For that money you could get a transceiver!

On 04 Mar 2004 23:39:57 GMT, (CVBreard) wrote:

>>I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
>>couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
>>planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
>>to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
>>inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
>>to purchase said scanner?
>
>I have a Radio Shack scanner (not a cheapie) which was about $200.
>
>The year we went to Oshkosh, one of the tent vendors was offering several such
>scanners, seems like the cheapest was about $35, which may have been more than
>it was worth (I believe it hissed all the time - no squelch)...plus at least
>one additional more expensive scanner.
>
>Watch the Radio Shack ads.
>
>I've lost track, but do Uniden and others offer scanners available through
>WalMart and places like that?
>
>"A profound statement of the obvious...": make sure it picks up the aviation
>band - not all do.
>
>Also watch the 'nickel shopper' classified ad papers- every now and then
>someone has one they just want to convert into cash, to buy groceries, no
>doubt. And it probably isn't stolen...
>
>If I were you, I'd just buy a new one at Radio Shack...after all, you can
>afford to go to Oshkosh...

beaudoin
March 5th 04, 02:25 AM
I do the same thing. It is the thing I enjoy the most out of the OSH meet.
Jules

Karl Treier
March 5th 04, 08:56 PM
Look at te SP-125 at sportys.com

"Greg" > wrote in message
om...
> I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
> couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
> planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
> to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
> inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
> to purchase said scanner?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

rip
March 5th 04, 09:37 PM
Radio Shack used to sell a cheap ($20?) AM/FM/Air Band "transistor
radio". Not a scanner, but how often are the freqs going to change at
Oshkosh?

Rip

Greg wrote:
> I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
> couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
> planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
> to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
> inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
> to purchase said scanner?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Greg
March 6th 04, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions on where to look for a scanner. I
thought about waiting until the Oshkosh show and checking out the
vendors, but I usually get there a few days before the show actually
starts, so I wanted something by the time I arrived.

greg

Ron Natalie
March 7th 04, 06:06 PM
"Greg" > wrote in message om...
> I plan on going to Oshkosh again this year. I enjoy getting there a
> couple of days early and sit near the flight line and watch all the
> planes arrive. I think it would be more enjoyable if I had a scanner
> to listen to air traffic control. Could someone recommend an
> inexpensive scanner for this purpose. Where would be the best place
> to purchase said scanner?

My old Radio Shack Pro43 has served me well at airshows (including
OSHKOSH) and NASCAR races over the years. I bet you could get
one for a song on ebay these days.

Google