PDA

View Full Version : First Time Builder- what to build?

Steve Kudrick
November 27th 03, 03:18 PM
I'm considering a project for under $10,000, including power plant.
65 HP range. Any ideas? email me at . Thanks!

Rick Pellicciotti
November 28th 03, 02:15 PM
"Steve Kudrick" > wrote in message
> I'm considering a project for under $10,000, including power plant.
> 65 HP range. Any ideas? email me at . Thanks!

I think this project has a lot going for it. If I didn't already have a
project, I would be building one.

http://www.visionaircraft.com/CorvairCraft/

Rick Pellicciotti

W. D. Shellenberger
November 29th 03, 06:33 PM
This is no time to mess with an unproved engine.
Try to find a simple engine (i.e. Cont. 65) then
pick a suitable project - maybe a Christavia.

Shelly
..

Holger Stephan
November 29th 03, 07:03 PM
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:33:42 +0000, W. D. Shellenberger wrote:

> This is no time to mess with an unproved engine.
> Try to find a simple engine (i.e. Cont. 65) then
> pick a suitable project - maybe a Christavia.
>
> Shelly
> .

I agree, the combination of a first-time builder, a design that has not
yet flown and a conversion engine may be more of a challenge than is
healthy.

Say, isn't the Christavia way too heavy for that engine?

- Holger

W. D. Shellenberger
November 30th 03, 01:09 AM
> Say, isn't the Christavia way too heavy for that engine?
>
> - Holger

Build it light - good lesson for a first time builder.
Don't be overloading it beyond it's design.
For a first time project, it was great. I flew it
a lot years while building other airplanes, then sold
it to a fellow who also loves it. Fly it a lot without
a back seat passenger - fly it as a single - it's not a
lot more complicated to build than a Baby Ace.
"It flies great". If you want to stretch it, and carry
a big load, or something a bit bigger, then that's
advancing beyond the first time builder envelope -
build another airplane. It flies like a feather (solo)
on 65 HP - if you want to load the back seat with
a 250 pounder, then load up a bigger engine, or
build a bigger airplane - but this is a guy who
wants to build a first time project! It's perfect!

Shelly

Google