PDA

View Full Version : sound of wind shear

Dan Jacobson
May 5th 04, 01:09 AM
Say, there was a line of thunderstorms, and from the clouds one could hear a
continual monotonous roar as if a jet plane or two were hanging stationary
inside the clouds, for several minutes. Is this the sound of wind shear?

Orval Fairbairn
May 8th 04, 10:47 PM
In article >,
Dan Jacobson > wrote:

> Say, there was a line of thunderstorms, and from the clouds one could hear a
> continual monotonous roar as if a jet plane or two were hanging stationary
> inside the clouds, for several minutes. Is this the sound of wind shear?

No -- it is the sound of a tornado! You can verify by taking an old B&W
TV set, tuning to Channel 2, reducing the brightness till the picture
goes away. The lightning will show up as lines of hash. A tornado emits
so much RF that it will turn the screen white, if it is within about 15
miles of the set.

Needless to say, use only the antenna, NOT a cable hookup!

Dan Jacobson
May 11th 04, 11:43 PM
> it is the sound of a tornado! You can verify by taking an old B&W
> TV set, tuning to Channel 2, reducing the brightness till the picture
> goes away. The lightning will show up as lines of hash. A tornado emits
> so much RF that it will turn the screen white, if it is within about 15
> miles of the set.

I checked the web but couldn't find the frequency spectrum for
tornados, etc. weather phenomena.

Being the owner of a scanner radio that can receive most any
frequency, I am wondering if there are even better frequencies than
just the TV bands to hear tornados on?

Lightning's frequency spectrum is concentrated where?

Hurricanes listenable? Any other phenomena listen able?

Google