PDA

View Full Version : Jet Seaplanes???

Roy Smith
August 21st 04, 12:06 PM
The NY Times web site every day highlights a historical front page
article from today's date in an earlier year. Today's is from August
21, 1959, when Hawaii became the 50th state.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0821.html?dpc

But, what really caught my eye is another headline reading, "Navy Drops
Jet Seaplanes; Program Cost 400 Million". I can barely make out the
sub-headline, but I think it reads, "9 of the 14 Craft Ordered Have Been
Delivered. 'Technical Difficulties' Called Factor in Cancellation."
The text of the article is unreadable.

Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
these?

Bob Noel
August 21st 04, 12:44 PM
In article >, Roy Smith
> wrote:

[snip]
> Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
> these?

Not me, but on a related note I believe the History channel did
a show about Soviet jet seaplanes. IIRC these were operational
and even used in firefighting.

--
Bob Noel
Seen on Kerry's campaign airplane: "the real deal"

Gilles KERMARC
August 21st 04, 02:51 PM
Bob Noel wrote:

> IIRC these were operational

Don't speak about them in the past :

http://www.beriev.com/eng/home_e.html

Dale
August 21st 04, 04:32 PM

Take a peek here: http://www.taliaferro.net/waltermiddy/page3.html

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

August 21st 04, 05:11 PM
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:06:58 -0400, Roy Smith > wrote:

http://www.aviation-history.com/martin/p6m.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P6M_SeaMaster

>The NY Times web site every day highlights a historical front page
>article from today's date in an earlier year. Today's is from August
>21, 1959, when Hawaii became the 50th state.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0821.html?dpc
>
>But, what really caught my eye is another headline reading, "Navy Drops
>Jet Seaplanes; Program Cost 400 Million". I can barely make out the
>sub-headline, but I think it reads, "9 of the 14 Craft Ordered Have Been
>Delivered. 'Technical Difficulties' Called Factor in Cancellation."
>The text of the article is unreadable.
>
>Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
>these?

leslie
August 21st 04, 09:24 PM
:
: http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0821.html?dpc
:
: But, what really caught my eye is another headline reading, "Navy Drops
: Jet Seaplanes; Program Cost 400 Million". I can barely make out the
: sub-headline, but I think it reads, "9 of the 14 Craft Ordered Have Been
: Delivered. 'Technical Difficulties' Called Factor in Cancellation."
: The text of the article is unreadable.
:
: Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
: these?
:

The U.S. Navy had two jet sea plane programs, the Convair XF2Y-1 Seadart,
and the Martin P6M-2 Seamaster flying boat:

http://www.strange-mecha.com/aircraft/J-Sea/J-Sea.htm
Jet Sea Plane & Jet Flying Boat PAGE

http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avcmast.html
The Martin SeaMaster & Convair Sea Dart

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email

Ben Jackson
August 23rd 04, 08:16 AM
In article >,
Roy Smith > wrote:

>Jet Seaplanes? Sounds kind of neat. Anybody know anything more about
>these?

Over the weekend I watched a LOT of float plane traffic at the Victoria
Harbour (for some pics, one outfit is http://www.harbour-air.com/). They
had everything from Cessnas on amphibs to Beavers and Twin Otters. It
must be a booming business -- at one point the line of arrivals on
downwind looked like an international airport. The twin Otter in the
lead had to circle while a Beaver departed and then had to go around
when one of the little ferries darted into the touchdown zone.

If there's anything bigger than a Twin Otter I'm surprised they don't have
any!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Gilles KERMARC
August 23rd 04, 11:29 AM
Ben Jackson wrote:

> If there's anything bigger than a Twin Otter I'm surprised they don't have
> any!

Like this ?
http://www.canadair415.com/

or that ?