PDA

View Full Version : Pitts S-1 weight and balance

wallyairplanefan
March 2nd 04, 04:28 AM
I have an older Pitts S-1 project I an trying to finish. It has
Sparcraft 4 aileron wings. The old plans I have do not show the CG
range. Does anyone flying a Pitts like this know what the CG range
should be?
Thanks!

Byron J. Covey
March 4th 04, 02:26 AM
From the "Pitts S-1S Airplane Flight Manual"

Datum is 65.06 inches forward of the lower wing leading edge.

Most forward limit:
FS 64.00 (17.9% MAC) at 1115 lbs or less.

Most forward at max gross weight:
FS 65.00 (20.8% MAC) at 1150 lbs.

Most rearward at gross weight:
FS 66.00 (23.7% MAC) at 1150 lbs.

Most rearward limit:
FS 67.00 (26.6% MAC) at 970 lbs.

BJC

"wallyairplanefan" > wrote in message
om...
> I have an older Pitts S-1 project I an trying to finish. It has
> Sparcraft 4 aileron wings. The old plans I have do not show the CG
> range. Does anyone flying a Pitts like this know what the CG range
> should be?
> Thanks!

wallyairplanefan
March 6th 04, 05:09 AM
Hey thanks Byron! I think I can use this!

I will try to calculate where the MAC is on mine since I think the
fuselage is a little longer on the S-1S than my S-1C

Wally
"Byron J. Covey" <
> From the "Pitts S-1S Airplane Flight Manual"
>
> Datum is 65.06 inches forward of the lower wing leading edge.
>
> Most forward limit:
> FS 64.00 (17.9% MAC) at 1115 lbs or less.
>
> Most forward at max gross weight:
> FS 65.00 (20.8% MAC) at 1150 lbs.
>
> Most rearward at gross weight:
> FS 66.00 (23.7% MAC) at 1150 lbs.