PDA

View Full Version : DC ADIZ procedures?

Roy Smith
December 23rd 04, 05:20 PM
I'm planning a trip from HPN to GAI soon. I've read all the NOTAMs,
and all the other stuff AOPA and others have put out, and I'm still
baffled how this is all supposed to work. Some of the material
directly contradicts other stuff (AOPA's presentation says you MUST
close your ADIZ flight plan, stuff on the KGAI home page says you
don't have to close it, for example).

As far as I can figure out, all I need to do is call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
before I depart HPN and tell them I want to file an "ADIZ flight
plan". Then I get flight following and as long as I'm talking to
Potomic Approach I'm cool, right?

Same deal on the way out; I file with FSS, call Potomic Approach to
get a code before I take off, and that's it.

Am I missing anything?

zatatime
December 23rd 04, 06:04 PM
On 23 Dec 2004 12:20:32 -0500, (Roy Smith) wrote:

>As far as I can figure out, all I need to do is call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
>before I depart HPN and tell them I want to file an "ADIZ flight
>plan". Then I get flight following and as long as I'm talking to
>Potomic Approach I'm cool, right?

I haven't had any reason to head south yet, but I think there's more
to it than that. I was flying locally the other day when a plane came
on from the ADIZ. Unicom told him he had to call DC when on the
ground. The pilot was upset, and over the radio said "I was on flight
following, I don't know why they want to talk to me." Unicom had no
idea of course, but he was tracked for some reason.

Flying out from HPN (New York area), you'll need to file the flight
plan as you stated, and when 10 - 20 miles from the ADIZ request to
open your ADIZ flight plan. You'll get a squawk, and I think a
special frequency to communicate on specifically for VFR transitions
through the ADIZ. To be safe, call FSS when you land to close your
plan. If they say it's closed, good. If not, you've saved yourself a
big headache.

Since I don't know where GAI is, I can't help except to say if you
follow the above procedures, you (in theory) should be fine.

Good Luck.

Jay Masino
December 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
Roy Smith > wrote:
> As far as I can figure out, all I need to do is call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
> before I depart HPN and tell them I want to file an "ADIZ flight
> plan". Then I get flight following and as long as I'm talking to
> Potomic Approach I'm cool, right?
>
> Same deal on the way out; I file with FSS, call Potomic Approach to
> get a code before I take off, and that's it.

You've got it more or less, but you ABSOLUTELY need to get a discrete
squawk, and keep it all the way to the ground. You must NEVER squawk 1200
in the ADIZ, or you WILL be intercepted. You need to keep in contact with
Potomac Approach the entire time you're in the ADIZ. On the way out, do
NOT change back to 1200 until you are well clear (maybe 5 miles) of the
outer limits of the ADIZ, no matter what the controller tells you.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Roy Smith
December 23rd 04, 11:13 PM
In article >,
(Jay Masino) wrote:

> Roy Smith > wrote:
> > As far as I can figure out, all I need to do is call 1-800-WX-BRIEF
> > before I depart HPN and tell them I want to file an "ADIZ flight
> > plan". Then I get flight following and as long as I'm talking to
> > Potomic Approach I'm cool, right?
> >
> > Same deal on the way out; I file with FSS, call Potomic Approach to
> > get a code before I take off, and that's it.
>
> You've got it more or less, but you ABSOLUTELY need to get a discrete
> squawk, and keep it all the way to the ground. You must NEVER squawk 1200
> in the ADIZ, or you WILL be intercepted. You need to keep in contact with
> Potomac Approach the entire time you're in the ADIZ. On the way out, do
> NOT change back to 1200 until you are well clear (maybe 5 miles) of the
> outer limits of the ADIZ, no matter what the controller tells you.
>
> --- Jay

And what about closing the ADIZ flight plan? One thing I read stressed
that you MUST close your ADIZ flight plan, another thing said you don't
have to. Which is it?

Also, I assume if I go IFR all this is a moot point?

Jay Masino
December 24th 04, 02:02 PM
Roy Smith > wrote:
> And what about closing the ADIZ flight plan? One thing I read stressed
> that you MUST close your ADIZ flight plan, another thing said you don't
> have to. Which is it?

As far as I remember, it's automatically closed when you land (inside the
ADIZ) or leave the outer boundry.

> Also, I assume if I go IFR all this is a moot point?

True. Many people say this is the easiest thing to do.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___