PDA

View Full Version : New Soaring Video from Grand Prix in the Andes

Paul Remde
October 27th 10, 11:59 PM
Hi,

I just added a hot new soaring video to my web site. It was filmed at the
Grand Prix that took place in Santiago, Chile in the Andes mountains in
January of 2010. The cinematography is awesome! It will be available in
December in HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) on Blu-ray or standard resolution on
DVD.

You can see a nice preview video on my web site. It can be viewed
full-screen in HD.

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/videos.htm#SailplaneGrandPrixAndes

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

jsbrake[_2_]
October 28th 10, 01:50 AM
Gorgeous scenery!

Did you notice the registration of the glider at t=20 seconds? The
image is mirror-reversed :D

bildan
October 28th 10, 07:16 PM
On Oct 28, 12:12*am, gotovkotzepkoi <gotovkotzepkoi.
> wrote:
> Excellent; I'm ordering one. This film begs the question: why can't
> Americans produce an inspirational soaring movie. The tired videos made
> in the US about soaring are about as inspirational as watching paint
> dry! No wonder young people want nothing to do with the sport...
>
> --
> gotovkotzepkoi

Good observation about non-inspirational videos.

A good analogy is the Warren Miller ski films which did much to
promote skiing. These didn't show someone making perfectly linked
turns, they showed extreme aspects of the sport like deep power and
freestyle skiing at the edge of control. 99.9% of the people who
bought ski gear and lift tickets didn't do these things but they liked
watching someone else doing them - and they liked being associated
with the image.

The best soaring videos to promote our sport will also show the
extreme aspects of soaring like the FAI Gran Prix series. So, if you
want to make exciting soaring videos, get great scenery, beautiful
people and beautiful gliders flying low and fast. Then, get a good
video editing application and cut the heck out of your video to show
short, fast sequences of shots.

I once read of a movie producer saying his best shots were just three
to five frames long.

flight4
October 28th 10, 07:17 PM
On Oct 27, 9:50*pm, jsbrake > wrote:
> Gorgeous scenery!
>
> Did you notice the registration of the glider at t=20 seconds? *The
> image is mirror-reversed :D

Well spotted! In the movie its the correct way round!

Ken

sisu1a
October 29th 10, 06:44 PM
> Once you associate sex with
> the sport by getting some hot women into the video young men will be all
> over the sport. Right now soaring is associated with bingo, golf,
> antique cars, checkers, hemorrhoids, pension plans, VFW, etc. Doesn't
> take a rocket scientist with a PhD in humanoid behavior to figure this
> one out. Any 16 yr old knows what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-ZIILtI2I yep...

October 31st 10, 01:50 AM
Awhile back there was a film in the making to be titled "Cloudstreet".
Never got off the ground but some nice preliminary filming was tested
and placed on the internet.
I guess they could not get enough funding, the plan was to run the
film on PBS station.

bildan
October 31st 10, 03:45 AM
On Oct 30, 7:50*pm, wrote:
> Awhile back there was a film in the making to be titled "Cloudstreet".
> Never got off the ground but some nice preliminary filming was tested
> and placed on the internet.
> I guess they could not get enough funding, the plan was to run the
> film on PBS station.

Just a vote for my favorite video - Klaus Ohlmann's "Argentina,
Gliding in the 5th Dimension".

While it doesn't have the "beautiful people" aspects, it does have
spectacular scenery expertly videographed and shows the gritty details
of extreme long distance soaring in sometimes primitive conditions.
Circling the peaks of active volcanoes and one brief shot circling the
peak of Aconcagua leaves no doubt about the conquest of the Andes by
glider.

Telling - and showing - what gliders are capable of seems to be the
"sizzle" that sells the sport. People who assume gliding is just
sleigh rides are stunned by this video.

Google