PDA

View Full Version : 1-26 Trailer Question

Randy[_4_]
October 28th 10, 12:44 AM
Our club has a 1-26 open trailer. I am not sure but I think it an original
Schweitzer trailer. Do you think that this trailer can haul a 2-22?

Thank you for your help.

Randy Auburg

October 28th 10, 01:10 AM
On Oct 27, 7:44*pm, "Randy" > wrote:
> Our club has a 1-26 open trailer. I am not sure but I think it an original
> Schweitzer trailer. Do you think that this trailer can haul a 2-22?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Randy Auburg

Probably yes.
Schweizer 1-26 trailer has removable front cross members. When these
are off, they fit spacing for inboard wing fittings.
The rest you can do with rope and a little ingenuity.
Good Luck
UH

ray conlon
October 28th 10, 02:43 AM
On Oct 27, 8:10*pm, wrote:
> On Oct 27, 7:44*pm, "Randy" > wrote:
>
> > Our club has a 1-26 open trailer. I am not sure but I think it an original
> > Schweitzer trailer. Do you think that this trailer can haul a 2-22?
>
> > Thank you for your help.
>
> > Randy Auburg
>
> Probably yes.
> Schweizer 1-26 trailer *has removable front cross members. When these
> are off, they fit spacing for inboard wing fittings.
> The rest you can do with rope and a little ingenuity.
> Good Luck
> UH

Take some power tools, cordless drills,bits, sawzall etc, some 2X4's
2X6's etc, a selection of bolts/washers/nuts and construction screws,
foam rubber sheets/blocks, rope, rachet straps hand tools etc, and fit
the bird to what there o get it home, then you can look modifying it
to fit both for a long term soultion.

Chip Bearden[_2_]
October 28th 10, 08:30 PM
IIRC, Schweitzer made a trailer that could haul a 1-26 and a 2-22,
although not at the same time! Not certain; might have been a one-off
by a club with both gliders. But I suspect you can make it fit without
much difficulty..

My father and I once used a 1-26 trailer to haul a Swiss Diamant HBV
15M (301 Libelle wings) for an entire season. No permanent mods
involved. Just some wire cable, clamps, and turnbuckles to hold the
fuselage down (wheel extended; cables connected to 2x4s drilled to
accept the carrythrough fittings and a long threaded rod through the
spar area of the fuselage); padding for the wing saddles; long bolts
and metal straps for the spar hold downs. I don't remember securing
the wingtips; I guess we just assumed they wouldn't bounce around a
lot. :) Sounds awful, especially now, but this was the mid '60s and
the glider arrived without a trailer so we used what we had. The
wingtips projecting beyond the rear of the trailer and the big tail
high in the air (we used the same triangular support used to lift the
1-26 tail above the wings so removing the horizontal stab wasn't
necessary) made it quite a sight. My mother made a full set of canvas
covers for the ship so it was reasonably well protected. My dad and
his partners kept the ship assembled in the hangar at Richmond, IN
(Soaring Society of Dayton, now Caesar Creek Soaring Club) so we only
had to use the trailer for a few midwestern contests. We got the
glider into a covered metal trailer that winter.

There was a lot of anxiety involved. The spar stubs projected forward
so a sharp turn by the car would have crunched one of them. And for
the first month, we couldn't remove the elevator on the big horizontal
T tail. It went on easily but wouldn't come off. The factory
ultimately sent someone over to do a series of mods to each glider,
including grinding off the nose of the hook that automatically
connected. But in the meantime, one person had to loop a piece of wire
around the actuating rod from behind the tail and pull while the other
person jiggled and fussed with the stab until it popped loose. It
helped to have yet a third person to stead the stab out at the tip. No
one-man assembly! This was back in the days when communications with
Europe were mostly via the post so each round trip took more than a
week. Driving down a narrow, multi-lane highway at speed with trucks
whizzing by on both sides and this giant, very wide tail up in the air
was distressing.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA

Papa3
October 29th 10, 01:23 PM
On Oct 27, 7:44*pm, "Randy" > wrote:
> Our club has a 1-26 open trailer. I am not sure but I think it an original
> Schweitzer trailer. Do you think that this trailer can haul a 2-22?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Randy Auburg

My college club had an open trailer that accommodated 1-26, 2-22, and
2-33. IIRC, it was an open Gherlein trailer, not one manufactured by
Schweizer. But, I know many clubs have various open trailers that
seem to accommodate a mix of Schweizers.

P3

Google