PDA

View Full Version : LS-1 sailplanes in the USA

Burt Compton - Marfa
November 1st 10, 07:58 PM
I am assisting in researching the current details of the six LS-1
sailplanes that flew at the 1970 World Championships at Marfa,
Texas. Specifically looking for those LS-1's that flew at Marfa that
might be registered now in the USA.

1970 Standard Class champion was Helmut Reichmann of Germany flying
D-0564, competition # "84".
USA Team Member A. J Smith flew N9838, competition # "1".

Details on present owners and location?

Thanks,
Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas USA

Kevin Christner
November 1st 10, 08:43 PM
On Nov 1, 12:58*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa > wrote:
> I am assisting in researching the current details of the six LS-1
> sailplanes that flew at the 1970 World Championships at Marfa,
> Texas. * Specifically looking for those LS-1's that flew at Marfa that
> might be registered now in the USA.
>
> 1970 Standard Class champion was Helmut Reichmann of Germany * *flying
> D-0564, competition # "84".
> USA Team Member A. J Smith flew N9838, competition # "1".
>
> Details on present owners and location?
>
> Thanks,
> Burt Compton
> Marfa Gliders, west Texas USA

I owned N11RQ s/n 20 until last year. It is now in Mississippi after
having the wings refinished. This was Henri Stouff's glider.
Reichmann's ship is N564L s/n 27 owned by Ray Lovinggood in North
Carolina

rlovinggood
November 2nd 10, 12:08 AM
On Nov 1, 3:58*pm, Burt Compton - Marfa > wrote:
> I am assisting in researching the current details of the six LS-1
> sailplanes that flew at the 1970 World Championships at Marfa,
> Texas. * Specifically looking for those LS-1's that flew at Marfa that
> might be registered now in the USA.
>
> 1970 Standard Class champion was Helmut Reichmann of Germany * *flying
> D-0564, competition # "84".
> USA Team Member A. J Smith flew N9838, competition # "1".
>
> Details on present owners and location?
>
> Thanks,
> Burt Compton
> Marfa Gliders, west Texas USA

Burt,

Kevin is right: I have N-564L. It came in as D-0564 and there is an
entry in the log book that states this is the glider flown by Dr.
Reichmann when he won the World Championship in 1970 at your home
base. Burt, you say you are assisting someone. I would like to get
in touch with that person.

Thanks
Ray Lovinggood
Current caretaker of N-564L