PDA

View Full Version : The McGurk Effect

sisu1a
November 2nd 10, 04:17 PM
More on the subject of the limitations of human physiology... Just ran
across this great little segment of a BBC show called Horizon, on The
McGurk Effect and thought it went nicely with the counting test and
optical effects, but thought it deserved it's own thread. Watch your
ears lie, despite your best efforts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw&feature=player_embedded

Pretty scary to think about how our brains literally transform
information into what it *thinks it's supposed to be processing in
situations with conflicting inputs. :|

-Paul

Hagbard Celine
November 3rd 10, 09:08 PM
Damn, I thought it was going to be something to do with Coach McGurk
from Home Movies.......

Terry Mc Elligott
November 4th 10, 12:42 AM
Whoa, mama! That is amazing. Brain 1, McElligott nil.

Ramy
November 4th 10, 06:04 AM
Spooky! Not only we can't trust our eyes we can neither trust our
ears!

Ramy

On Nov 2, 9:17*am, sisu1a > wrote:
> More on the subject of the limitations of human physiology... Just ran
> across this great little segment of a BBC show called Horizon, on The
> McGurk Effect and thought it went nicely with the counting test and
> optical effects, but thought it deserved it's own thread. Watch your
> ears lie, despite your best efforts:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd5txtGdGw&feature=player_embedded
>
> Pretty scary to think about how our brains literally transform
> information into what it *thinks it's supposed to be processing in
> situations with conflicting inputs. * :|
>
> -Paul

glidergeek
November 4th 10, 03:01 PM
On Nov 3, 11:04*pm, Ramy > wrote:
> Spooky! Not only we can't trust our eyes we can neither trust our
> ears!

What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

sisu1a
November 4th 10, 06:31 PM
> What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
> did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

Meh... doesn't make it any less amazing how the the human mind does
not process the the fact I used the the word "the" twice each time in
this sentence. :p

jcarlyle
November 4th 10, 06:31 PM
Glidergeek's comment is probably similar to some in Ohio in the
1890s: "Those silly Wright brothers! Flying kites and studying birds
- how frivolous and wasteful!"

Moral - just because you can't see the point in something doesn't
always mean that it's useless.

-John

On Nov 4, 10:01 am, glidergeek > wrote:
> What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
> did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

RRK
November 5th 10, 04:41 AM
On Nov 4, 2:31*pm, jcarlyle > wrote:
> Glidergeek's comment is probably similar to some in Ohio in the
> 1890s: *"Those silly Wright brothers! Flying kites and studying birds
> - how frivolous and wasteful!"
>
> Moral - just because you can't see the point in something doesn't
> always mean that it's useless.
>
> -John
>
> On Nov 4, 10:01 am, glidergeek > wrote:
>
> > What's spooky is a professor from UCR studied this for 25yrs hope he
> > did this on his own time. Only in Kaleefornia!

Try to say: buck, buck, buck...

jcarlyle
November 5th 10, 01:03 PM
Why cheer for a loser?