PDA

View Full Version : See You Software and iMac

luv2glide
November 7th 10, 03:43 PM
I would like to see the consensus for how to best run See You on an
iMac computer.

Darryl Ramm
November 7th 10, 04:33 PM
On Nov 7, 7:43*am, luv2glide > wrote:
> I would like to see the consensus for how to best run See You on an
> iMac computer.

The choice is yours

o Code Weavers CrossOver Mac (http://www.codeweavers.com)
o Parellels Desktop (http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop)
o VMware Fusion (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion)

Code Weavers will work but 3D stuff stuff probalby does not work (I've
just not kept up).
Code Weavers is a Wine base windows OS emulator the others are virtual
machines.

The later two virtual machine approaches require a full Windows
install in a virtual machine. You likely need to buy a new Windows
licenses (you can't use ole OEM licenses laying around with old PCs
you purchased). A key choice between the Code Weavers and virtual
machines is how much/what other software you want under Windows. The
virtual machine will tend to be very compatible - they *are* running
real windows. But unless you have a need for a virtual machine
approach I suggest you start by downloading an eval of Code Weavers
and see if it will work for you. Personally I use VMware Fusion, but I
have heavy/techncial Windows needs, and am a bit biased towards any
VMware products...

Darryl

Dan[_4_]
November 7th 10, 05:06 PM
On Nov 7, 10:43*am, luv2glide > wrote:
> I would like to see the consensus for how to best run See You on an
> iMac computer.

Can't speak to running under a virtual machine. I run Bootcamp (comes
with the Mac), Windows XP (I had an unused licence laying about),
running StrePla - similar load to SeeYou on a white poly macbook. No
problem, boot to bootcamp (hold down 'option' key on start, select
XP). Only problem is that the MacBook cpu fans don't seem to adjust
to temp very well under bootcamp (if at all), and the machine runs
hot. I run smcFanControl in OS X, set the fan to a higher rpm, then
restart with option key. Also handy for running usb-to-serial
converter for my Volkslogger. In XP I have an app that checks CPU and
GPU temp. Running in 3D mode on replay really runs hot - so I max the
fan, and that keeps everything under control. I have Parallels,
haven't bothered to install it.

Dan

Andy[_10_]
November 7th 10, 05:51 PM
On Nov 7, 9:06*am, Dan > wrote:
> On Nov 7, 10:43*am, luv2glide > wrote:
>
> > I would like to see the consensus for how to best run See You on an
> > iMac computer.
>
> Can't speak to running under a virtual machine. *I run Bootcamp (comes
> with the Mac), Windows XP (I had an unused licence laying about),
> running StrePla - similar load to SeeYou on a white poly macbook. *No
> problem, boot to bootcamp (hold down 'option' key on start, select
> XP). *Only problem is that the MacBook cpu fans don't seem to adjust
> to temp very well under bootcamp (if at all), and the machine runs
> hot. I run smcFanControl in OS X, set the fan to a higher rpm, then
> restart with option key. *Also handy for running usb-to-serial
> converter for my Volkslogger. *In XP I have an app that checks CPU and
> GPU temp. Running in 3D mode on replay really runs hot - so I max the
> fan, and that keeps everything under control. *I have Parallels,
> haven't bothered to install it.
>
> Dan

I run SeeYou on top of CrossOver on my (Intel-based) iMac and
Parallels on Windows 7 (previously Vista) my MacBook. I also run
VMWare on my work MacBook but have not loaded SeeYou. Darryl and I
have done some comparisons of VMWare and Parallels. (Note: Darryl used
to work for VMWare so: 1) he knows what he's talking about, and 2) he
has some preference for VMWare, as he's stated). I've also run
BootCamp with Windows Vista with SeeYou.

All four solutions run fine so long as your Mac has an Intel processor
(I have a working PowerPC iMac in a closet so there are some still
left out there).

Comments on pros/cons:

Parallels: Runs everything fine and has the best 3D playback
performance, I think because it supports the graphics acceleration
used by SeeYou. My one complaint was that it was nearly impossible to
get USB-to-Serial adapters to run under Parallels so that I could
upload/download flights/tasks between SeeYou and my glider's flight
computers. This has been fixed in the latest version. I needed to buy
a copy of Parallels and a copy of Windows Home - this costs a total of
around $250 assuming you don't need a new SeeYou license.

VMWare: Much like Parallels but slower/choppier 3D playback,
particularly if you are running multiple igc files at the same time.
My personal experience running VMWare is that it isn't as stable as
Parallels in the sense that it tends to go into ultra-slow mode as if
it is hung on some process. However, my Parallels and VMWare installs
are very different so my VMWare experience may be related to all the
junk corporate IT departments load onto computers.

CrossOver: Runs remarkably well. The latest version I've downloaded of
the Games version of CrossOver (apparently Games has better graphics
support), will not allow you to run 3D playback. There also are
various interface quirks. I have not tested all the features - for
instance uploading waypoint files. For simple playback and casual use
it seems fine and at $40 it's cheap.

BootCamp: This is the most "native" way to run Windows on a Mac. You
still need to buy a copy of Windows, but Bootcamp is free with MacOS.
The downside is that you have to reboot to switch between Windows and
Mac environments. I didn't want to replace all my Mac software with
Windows equivalents and got tired of rebooting all the time. I was
surprised how much I went back and forth between applications.
eventually I gave up and bought Parallels.

Unless you are sure you need 3D playback or other advanced features,
CrossOver is a great place to start and with the free trial it's low
risk. It also installs pretty easily.

9B

Bruce Hoult
November 8th 10, 12:16 AM
On Nov 8, 6:51*am, Andy > wrote:
> Unless you are sure you need 3D playback or other advanced features,
> CrossOver is a great place to start and with the free trial it's low
> risk. It also installs pretty easily.

I've been a professional Mac and Unix/Linux programmer for 25 years.

I signed up with CodeWeavers as an "advocate" for SeeYou in September
2006 but it turned out that I was too stupid to figure out how to
install it and use it. The details are lost in the mists of time, but
as I recall Crossover expected you to have some kind of standard
Windows installer package and it somehow hijacked the install process,
but all I had was an .exe file. That would be no problem on a real
Windows, but I didn't know anything about either Windows or WINE in
order to poke around in the innards myself and put it in the right
place.

Maybe it's all become easier since then.

kirk.stant
November 8th 10, 12:49 AM
Get a PC.

Seriously, they are so cheap (compared to a Mac) you might as well get
one just to run SeeYou!

Kirk
66

Andy[_10_]
November 8th 10, 01:32 AM
On Nov 7, 4:49*pm, "kirk.stant" > wrote:
> Get a PC.
>
> Seriously, they are so cheap (compared to a Mac) you might as well get
> one just to run SeeYou!
>
> Kirk
> 66

Been there, done that. I had a dedicated laptop for running SeeYou and
other soaring software. The problem was that I used it so
infrequently (especially during the winter) that there would always be
some sort of problem - usually batteries that wouldn't hold a charge.
Turns out the batteries cost almost as much as the (used) PC. Running
on a Mac has gotten easy enough that I have given up on maintaining
the old IBM StinkPad which is now collecting dust in my closet.

It all depends on what you're using on a daily basis and how
comfortable you are messing around with virtual machines and such.
For me it's worked pretty well. If computers are mysterious black
boxes and you usually are getting help from your friends to keep yours
working, stick with a PC - running Windows XP is probably the best
bet.

9B

toad
November 8th 10, 01:59 AM
I had a windows laptop for the same purpose, but it was a pain to
maintain 2 machines.

I use an intel macbook pro. I have both Parallels ( version 3) and
Vmware ( version 3) and bootcamp. All three options run Seeyou fine.
I have had trouble with Parallels and serial adapters, but bootcamp
and vmware work really easy.

My suggestion is to install seeyou on the bootcamp partion and use
wmware to run that partition.

Todd Smith
3S

Jim[_18_]
November 9th 10, 03:30 AM
On Nov 7, 4:49*pm, "kirk.stant" > wrote:
> Get a PC.
>
> Seriously, they are so cheap (compared to a Mac) you might as well get
> one just to run SeeYou!
>
> Kirk
> 66

Soaring season is short and I have other uses for my computer. Can't
run iweb or imovie on a pc.

Jim
ZR

Jim[_18_]
November 9th 10, 03:43 AM
On Nov 7, 4:49*pm, "kirk.stant" > wrote:
> Get a PC.
>
> Seriously, they are so cheap (compared to a Mac) you might as well get
> one just to run SeeYou!
>
> Kirk
> 66

also had a pc laptop just to run soaring software, some of the keys
on the keyboard quit working after the first season, it's collecting
dust in the closet.

Jim
ZR

Google