PDA

View Full Version : how to earn hours?

garcia95127
November 18th 10, 06:02 PM
I want to become a pilot.. I love everything about it the flying the travel the uniform... I have been researching and it seems the easy way...(no disrespect, its just big airlines seem to prefer a military background).. Would be to go through the military but i don’t want to go through the military.. I know its better training but the military isn’t for me... but i was wondering what exactly happens after i get my PPL... how do i earn the 2000+ hours needed and after that what are the airlines looking for?? and once i earn them how do i stand out from the rest of the competition??? please i have visited and read all web sites related....

thanks

Dave Doe
November 18th 10, 10:52 PM
In article >, garcia95127.72b3740
@aviationbanter.com, garcia95127 says...

> I want to become a pilot.. I love everything about it the flying the
> travel the uniform... I have been researching and it seems the easy
> way...(no disrespect, its just big airlines seem to prefer a military
> background).. Would be to go through the military but i don?t want to go
> through the military.. I know its better training but the military isn?t
> for me... but i was wondering what exactly happens after i get my PPL...
> how do i earn the 2000+ hours needed and after that what are the
> airlines looking for?? and once i earn them how do i stand out from the
> rest of the competition??? please i have visited and read all web sites
> related....

Going that way, typically you'd become a flight instructor. Then you
get to get paid to get your hours up. You don't get paid much! :( And
you work away at your multi-engine time, higher instrutor rating - and
so on. Heading towards your 2,000+ hours, you'll know fairly well where
you stand in regards a job flying commercially (other than being a
flying instructor! :). eg. you might think it's OK to fly for a smaller
company operating 10 seater twins - or you might want to set your sights
higher and fly with the "big boys" :) You'll know by then that you have
to be in the top echelon and what's required to be there - clearly, the
positions are limited in numbers, and you know already you're up against
ex-military folk too.

--
Duncan.

a[_3_]
November 19th 10, 08:30 AM
On Nov 18, 5:52*pm, Dave Doe > wrote:
> In article >, garcia95127.72b3740
> @aviationbanter.com, garcia95127 says...
>

> > I want to become a pilot.. I love everything about it the flying the
> > travel the uniform... I have been researching and it seems the easy
> > way...(no disrespect, its just big airlines seem to prefer a military
> > background).. Would be to go through the military but i don?t want to go
> > through the military.. I know its better training but the military isn?t
> > for me... but i was wondering what exactly happens after i get my PPL....
> > how do i earn the 2000+ hours needed and after that what are the
> > airlines looking for?? and once i earn them how do i stand out from the
> > rest of the competition??? please i have visited and read all web sites
> > related....
>
> Going that way, typically you'd become a flight instructor. *Then you
> get to get paid to get your hours up. *You don't get paid much! :( *And
> you work away at your multi-engine time, higher instrutor rating - and
> so on. *Heading towards your 2,000+ hours, you'll know fairly well where
> you stand in regards a job flying commercially (other than being a
> flying instructor! :). *eg. you might think it's OK to fly for a smaller
> company operating 10 seater twins - or you might want to set your sights
> higher and fly with the "big boys" :) *You'll know by then that you have
> to be in the top echelon and what's required to be there - clearly, the
> positions are limited in numbers, and you know already you're up against
> ex-military folk too.
>
> --
> Duncan.

I don't know the demographics of pilots flying for major airlines,
that would be time well spent for you to learn so you could position
yourself to obtain a similar CV.

It seems to me that someone who is a hiring authority for an airline
would be looking among the resumes in front of him and seeing people
from the civilian sector with 2000 hours of time flying as instructors
in fairly light airplanes, and some guys out of the armed forces who
have been flying heavy iron. Which group would you think is going to
provide the best candidates? Remember, well managed private sector
hiring is not about searching among unlikely candidates but rather
choosing from among the group most likely to succeed. Then, work at
making yourself exceptional in the population that is most likely to
provide the winning job candidate.

Hang around some FBOs for a while, talk with the CFIs there, ask them
about their experiences and the experiences of their friends who broke
into the airline industry. Check also with some of the major
universities that have aviation programs, many keep stats on how their
graduates do in the real world.

There are always exceptions, sometimes one can draw the right card to
fill an inside straight, but betting on long odds is not the way to
plan a career.

Ari Silverstein
November 19th 10, 07:14 PM
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:02:38 +0000, garcia95127 wrote:

> I want to become a pilot.

*LOL*
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj

Mark4
November 20th 10, 03:09 PM
On Nov 19, 2:14*pm, Ari Silverstein > wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:02:38 +0000, garcia95127 wrote:
> > I want to become a pilot.
>
> *LOL*
> --
> A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
> Motto: Live To Spooge It!

Either your computer only has 2 letters..."L" and
"O", or you're a goddamned idiot. Which is it?
Oh, that's right. You aren't a pilot. You're a troll.
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.aviation.piloting/2010-07/msg00204.html

---
Mark
American pilot

Ari Silverstein
November 20th 10, 05:42 PM
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 07:09:13 -0800 (PST), Mark4 wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2:14*pm, Ari Silverstein > wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:02:38 +0000, garcia95127 wrote:
>>> I want to become a pilot.
>>
>> *LOL*
>> --
>> A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
>> Motto: Live To Spooge It!
>
> Either

*LOL*

*Troll on Mark(ie)-garcia-fernando-ETC*
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj

Mark4
November 20th 10, 09:39 PM
On Nov 20, 12:42*pm, Ari Silverstein > wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 07:09:13 -0800 (PST), Mark4 wrote:
>
> >> *LOL*
> >> --
> >> A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
> >> Motto: Live To Spooge It!
>
> > Either
>
> *LOL*
>
> *Troll on Mark(ie)-garcia-fernando-ETC*
> --
> A fireside chat with Ari asshole://tr.im/holj
> Motto: Live To Spooge It!

" Using a fake name, Ari's premise is simple... "a lie is
as good as the truth if he can get someone to believe it." But
heed this warning; he has tried all of this before. Just look
back on the various newsgroups, and there he will be in all his
pathetic ugliness."

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.aviation.piloting/2010-07/msg00204.html

Mark4
November 21st 10, 01:26 PM
On Nov 18, 1:02*pm, garcia95127
> wrote:
> I want to become a pilot.. I love everything about it the flying the
> travel the uniform... I have been researching and it seems the easy
> way...(no disrespect, its just big airlines seem to prefer a military
> background).. Would be to go through the military but i don’t want to go
> through the military.. I know its better training but the military isn’t
> for me...

I think you just answered your own question. Yes, the military
training is both comprehensive and they pay for it. But
I wouldn't send my son that route. I'd have him go through
commercial channels. You will get out of your training
what you put into it, depending on how bad you want it.

but i was wondering what exactly happens after i get my PPL...
> how do i earn the 2000+ hours needed and after that what are the
> airlines looking for?? and once i earn them how do i stand out from the
> rest of the competition??? please i have visited and read all web sites
> related....

By the time you've completed that many hours, and met all
the many people along the way...including numerous flight
instructors, pilots, military folks, FBO operators, A & P
mechanics, FAA employees and many more, you will have
had ample time and perspective to find out what you need
to secure a commercial airline position.

---
Mark

> thanks
>
> --
> garcia95127

Ari Silverstein
November 21st 10, 05:35 PM
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 05:26:03 -0800 (PST), Mark4 wrote:

> > wrote:
>> I want to become a pilot.. I love everything about it the flying the
>> travel the uniform... I have been researching and it seems the easy
>> way...(no disrespect, its just big airlines seem to prefer a military
>> background).. Would be to go through the military but i don¢t want to go
>> through the military.. I know its better training but the military isn¢t
>> for me...
>
> I think you just answered your own question.

*We* think you're talking to yourself, "fernando" lol
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj

Google