PDA

View Full Version : Rocket in AV8 E-Magazine

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
December 2nd 10, 07:25 PM
I just got word that the UK-based e-mag, AV8 has an article on my
Johnson Rocket. See: http://www.av8magazine.com/

You have to register, but that is free. The E-mag offers a slightly
different view of GA flying.

lucky lindy
December 2nd 10, 09:09 PM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
>I just got word that the UK-based e-mag, AV8 has an article on my
> Johnson Rocket. See: http://www.av8magazine.com/
>
> You have to register, but that is free. The E-mag offers a slightly
> different view of GA flying.

Thanks, that is a very interesting article. That plane came out the same
year (1946) that I got my PPL. I didn't remember that one but I did remember
the Globe Swift. There was another small plane that came out about the same
time named the Culver Cadet. I learned to fly in a J3 Cub.
Sam in Milam

Mark IV
December 3rd 10, 12:02 AM
On Dec 2, 2:25*pm, Orval Fairbairn >
wrote:
> I just got word that the UK-based e-mag, AV8 has an article on my
> Johnson Rocket. See:http://www.av8magazine.com/
>
> You have to register, but that is free. The E-mag offers a slightly
> different view of GA flying.

I'm impressed. Not too many of those around
anymore.

---
Mark IV

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
December 3rd 10, 05:47 PM
In article >,
"lucky lindy" > wrote:

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> >I just got word that the UK-based e-mag, AV8 has an article on my
> > Johnson Rocket. See: http://www.av8magazine.com/
> >
> > You have to register, but that is free. The E-mag offers a slightly
> > different view of GA flying.
>
> Thanks, that is a very interesting article. That plane came out the same
> year (1946) that I got my PPL. I didn't remember that one but I did remember
> the Globe Swift. There was another small plane that came out about the same
> time named the Culver Cadet. I learned to fly in a J3 Cub.
> Sam in Milam

Pop Johnson made the original GC-1 wooden Swift. When he lost control of
the program, he took the wood Swift home, changed it out to an O-290,
changed the tail and called it the "Rocket 125." That plane still exists
and resides at the Swift Museum, in Athens, TN. Its performance wasn't
that good, so they designed a new one around the O-435 Lycoming, and
with a nose gear and called it the "Rocket 185."

It was the hot setup in 1946.

Google