PDA

View Full Version : GPS system

seb
December 10th 10, 06:12 PM
Which GPS system do you use?
A friend of mine and I still navigate with the maps but now the time
has come that we want to purchase a GPS system. Any recommendations?

Darryl Ramm
December 10th 10, 07:03 PM
On Dec 10, 10:12*am, seb > wrote:
> Which GPS system do you use?
> A friend of mine and I still navigate with the maps but now the time
> has come that we want to purchase a GPS system. Any recommendations?

You should consider everything from a used Garmin GPS12XL to a LX9000.
Something in that range will suit you perfectly well.

You might get better help maybe if we knew something useful like which
country you are in/where you fly, whether you rent or own (do you need
a portable system or are you after a fixed system?), what type of
glider(s) you fly, the type of flying you are interested in, your
goals, whether you want to compete in OLC or sanctioned contests, how
technically sophisticated you are (do you want to deal with a PDA/PNA
setup and maintenance?), are there any specific things you want to
cover (e.g. just very basic navigation, need airspace displayed?),
what is your price range, any interest in Flarm/PowerFLARM as the GPS
to drive a display?... whatever you think may help. Knowing you have a
friend is nice, but not that useful.

Darryl

seb
December 10th 10, 08:24 PM
On Dec 10, 2:03*pm, Darryl Ramm > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 10:12*am, seb > wrote:
>
> > Which GPS system do you use?
> > A friend of mine and I still navigate with the maps but now the time
> > has come that we want to purchase a GPS system. Any recommendations?
>
> You should consider everything from a used Garmin GPS12XL to a LX9000.
> Something in that range will suit you perfectly well.
>
> You might get better help maybe if we knew something useful like which
> country you are in/where you fly, whether you rent or own (do you need
> a portable system or are you after a fixed system?), what type of
> glider(s) you fly, the type of flying you are interested in, your
> goals, whether you want to compete in OLC or sanctioned contests, how
> technically sophisticated you are (do you want to deal with a PDA/PNA
> setup and maintenance?), are there any specific things you want to
> cover (e.g. just very basic navigation, need airspace displayed?),
> what is your price range, any interest in Flarm/PowerFLARM as the GPS
> to drive a display?... whatever you think may help. Knowing you have a
> friend is nice, but not that useful.
>
> Darryl

we fly in USA and own a glider, we need a portable system, yes we want
to upload the data to OLC, basic navigation is good (we can deal with
PDA etc), price range $ 500

sisu1a
December 10th 10, 08:32 PM
> we fly in USA and own a glider, we need a portable system, yes we want
> to upload the data to OLC, basic navigation is good (we can deal with
> PDA etc), price range $ 500

Naviter's Oudi is a pretty tidy plug-n-play at that price, with first
class support from Naviter and lots of help available from individuals
here and elsewhere.

-Paul

David Salmon[_2_]
December 10th 10, 10:06 PM
At 20:32 10 December 2010, sisu1a wrote:

>> we fly in USA and own a glider, we need a portable system, yes we want
>> to upload the data to OLC, basic navigation is good (we can deal with
>> PDA etc), price range $ 500
>
>Naviter's Oudi is a pretty tidy plug-n-play at that price, with first
>class support from Naviter and lots of help available from individuals
>here and elsewhere.
>
>-Paul

I'd agree with John. Install LK8000 on a PNA, mount it and set up a power
supply, and you are away. I use an iPAQ 314, but have set up several Navman
Mio M400, which are just as good, and cheap. But don't forget we all
still navigate with paper maps, the gps is only an aid!
You can use the $400 you have left for launches.
Dave

Paul Remde
December 10th 10, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I highly recommend the Naviter Oudie. It has been extremely popular. It
first became available in March or April and I've already sold over 180 of
them. That means there are many of them at most gliderports.

Like all PDAs and PNAs - it is not as great in sunlight as we wish it would
be. But it is easy to turn off the display of terrain data (if necessary)
so you have a white background. I did that much of the time while flying
with my Oudie this summer.

You can see details here:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/seeyou.htm

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"seb" > wrote in message
> Which GPS system do you use?
> A friend of mine and I still navigate with the maps but now the time
> has come that we want to purchase a GPS system. Any recommendations?

Google