PDA

View Full Version : Klaus Ohlmann triangle world records in Patagonia

Juanman
January 14th 11, 02:41 PM
Klaus Ohlmann has broken more world records in Patagonia, some of the
few he didn't hold (or rather some of his own records which were
recently broken). Triangles in Patagonia are extraordinarily
difficult because they require leaving the wave routes along the Andes
to get a turnpoint in the Pampas and then return against headwinds
back to the wave routes.

This has not been a good year for wave flying in Patagonia due to the
"La Niņa" phenomenon. Nevertheless there have been several 2K+
flights. Here is Klaus' report and a link to the OLC files:

PILOT REPORT 12.01.2011

World record 1750,6 km declared triangle, 1755,5 km free triangle and
Speed task for a 1750 km triangle with 119,29 km/h.

It was really a great day for me. I have worked so hard for years, of
course with a lot of pleasure, to find different solutions for this
triangle stuff, which, as we know, is not really adapted for wave-
flying. I'm quite sure, that this is the best solution for the
problem.

There are certainly better days than yesterday to do this flight.

The first 200 km were weak and blue until El Maiten. But even then it
was not easy to find the best lifts. I stopped climbing most of the
time in 4000m due to weaker lifts above. I was one hour too late at
the first TP. But the second leg was better than in the planning with
one great lift in the middle of nowhere. It was the only one up to FL
195 on this leg, the rest were only weak alignments above the cumulus.
After TP 2 I was forced to pass below the clouds in thermals, due to
lack of wave lifts, which were strong enough. It was a long trip
between "hope and fear" against the wind. I tried always to go more to
El Maiten to come back to the first wave line, a little bit closer to
home. But finally I went back to the south due to the enormous Rotor
lennies formed there. No regrets, up to 9 m/s!! The rest was a last
race against the end of the daylight. As always, it was this mixture
of adapted planning during one week, hope, determination and good
luck, which makes our sport so exciting.

Klaus Ohlmann

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=1604149

Randy[_2_]
January 14th 11, 03:24 PM
Congratulations on your great flight! Thanks for sharing this with
us.
It is nice to have some pilots information beside just looking at your
flight
on OLC.

Randy

Tony[_5_]
January 14th 11, 07:56 PM
On Jan 14, 8:41*am, Juanman > wrote:
> Klaus Ohlmann has broken more world records in Patagonia, some of the
> few he didn't hold (or rather some *of his own records which were
> recently broken). * Triangles in Patagonia are extraordinarily
> difficult because they require leaving the wave routes along the Andes
> to get a turnpoint in the Pampas and then return against headwinds
> back to the wave routes.
>
> This has not been a good year for wave flying in Patagonia due to the
> "La Niņa" phenomenon. *Nevertheless there have been several 2K+
> flights. *Here is Klaus' report and a link to the OLC files:
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *PILOT REPORT 12.01.2011
>
> World record 1750,6 km declared triangle, 1755,5 km free triangle and
> Speed task for a 1750 km triangle *with 119,29 km/h.
>
> It was really a great day for me. I have worked so hard for years, of
> course with a lot of pleasure, to find different solutions for this
> triangle stuff, which, as we know, is not really adapted for wave-
> flying. I'm quite sure, that this is the best solution for the
> problem.
>
> There are certainly better days than yesterday to do this flight.
>
> The first 200 km were weak and blue until El Maiten. But even then it
> was not easy to find the best lifts. I stopped climbing most of the
> time in 4000m due to weaker lifts above. I was one hour too late at
> the first TP. *But the second leg was better than in the planning with
> one great lift in the middle of nowhere. It was the only one up to FL
> 195 on this leg, the rest were only weak alignments above the cumulus.
> After TP 2 I was forced to pass below the clouds in thermals, due to
> lack of wave lifts, which were strong enough. It was a long trip
> between "hope and fear" against the wind. I tried always to go more to
> El Maiten to come back to the first wave line, a little bit closer to
> home. But finally I went back to the south due to the enormous Rotor
> lennies formed there. No regrets, up to 9 m/s!! *The rest was a last
> race against the end of the daylight. As always, it was this mixture
> of adapted planning during one week, hope, determination and good
> luck, which makes our sport so exciting.
>
> Klaus Ohlmann
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=160....

wow, awesome flight!

Andrej Kolar[_3_]
January 15th 11, 04:44 PM
Extraordinary! Congratulations!!

Andrej
--
glider pilots use
http://www.Naviter.com

On 14 jan., 15:41, Juanman > wrote:
> Klaus Ohlmann has broken more world records in Patagonia, some of the
> few he didn't hold (or rather some *of his own records which were
> recently broken). * Triangles in Patagonia are extraordinarily
> difficult because they require leaving the wave routes along the Andes
> to get a turnpoint in the Pampas and then return against headwinds
> back to the wave routes.
>
> This has not been a good year for wave flying in Patagonia due to the
> "La Niņa" phenomenon. *Nevertheless there have been several 2K+
> flights. *Here is Klaus' report and a link to the OLC files:
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * *PILOT REPORT 12.01.2011
>
> World record 1750,6 km declared triangle, 1755,5 km free triangle and
> Speed task for a 1750 km triangle *with 119,29 km/h.
>
> It was really a great day for me. I have worked so hard for years, of
> course with a lot of pleasure, to find different solutions for this
> triangle stuff, which, as we know, is not really adapted for wave-
> flying. I'm quite sure, that this is the best solution for the
> problem.
>
> There are certainly better days than yesterday to do this flight.
>
> The first 200 km were weak and blue until El Maiten. But even then it
> was not easy to find the best lifts. I stopped climbing most of the
> time in 4000m due to weaker lifts above. I was one hour too late at
> the first TP. *But the second leg was better than in the planning with
> one great lift in the middle of nowhere. It was the only one up to FL
> 195 on this leg, the rest were only weak alignments above the cumulus.
> After TP 2 I was forced to pass below the clouds in thermals, due to
> lack of wave lifts, which were strong enough. It was a long trip
> between "hope and fear" against the wind. I tried always to go more to
> El Maiten to come back to the first wave line, a little bit closer to
> home. But finally I went back to the south due to the enormous Rotor
> lennies formed there. No regrets, up to 9 m/s!! *The rest was a last
> race against the end of the daylight. As always, it was this mixture
> of adapted planning during one week, hope, determination and good
> luck, which makes our sport so exciting.
>
> Klaus Ohlmann
>
> http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=160....

Google